The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
JKilbreth

Overcooked the brass bird:(

So I put some 9mm brass in my oven (to dry it after wet tumbling) at 170 and turned it off for the night.

Been doing it this way for a while and had great results. No water spots, quick cool-down time, etc.

Today, I forgot that I had left the brass in the oven and my wife began to pre-heat the oven for dinner...to 400 degrees

When I pulled the brass out (after it had been heated to exactly 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes), it sure was dry, but many of the 9mm cases had a grayish-purple tint. No other visible damage (deformation, melting, etc.) that I could tell, but I've hear brass anneals at 400 degrees or so.

Two simple questions: Is the brass safe to load, and what can I do to get the original shine back in the brass?
Old November 19, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2
madmo44mag

That's a been there and done that moment for me.
I loaded the brass and had a few split.
Never really got the bright brass look back but didn't try to hard either.
If ya need some more 9mm brass PM me I can help ya out.
Old November 19, 2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

400 degrees will do virtually nothing to brass. Even at 600 degrees it would take nearly an hour to fully anneal the brass. The problem is not 400 degrees, it's whether or not the brass was close enough to the flame to be hotter than 400 even if the thermostat didn't get to 400.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Brass is relatively cheap and relatively plentiful.
Old November 19, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I'm not only a shooting enthusiast, but I'm also a culinary enthusiast.

One of the safety precautions taught in culinary school is to always look inside a heating vessel (like an oven or bbq) before turning it on. Always.

So you and your wife both have a take-away from the experience ;-)
Old November 20, 2013, 02:04 AM   #5
JimDandy

If he wants to continue to live in her house, he would be wise to not mention that, however

As to the question at hand, I agree with Brian. Brass isn't the bottleneck on loading right now. Too many people reselling range pickups, etc. Especially 9mm brass.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

Quote:
If he wants to continue to live in her house, he would be wise to not mention that, however.
^^ Good one Jim Dandy ^^

First laugh of the day. Thank you.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:35 PM   #7
Jay24bal

I have always been curious about drying brass in the oven. I have yet to try it as I do my best not to test the Mrs.'s patience.

How long does it take for it to fully dry and cool down?

I use an ultrasonic cleaner and just spread my brass out on a towel overnight as I do all my reloading in the evening. By early afternoon the next day, the brass is completely dry. I have no need to have it dry any quicker, so I have never really considered attempting the oven or dryer trick.

Thanks.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 21, 2013, 12:08 AM   #8
futz

I pour my wet brass on pizza pans or cookie sheets and bake in a preheated 200F (or a bit higher) oven for somewhere between an hour and a couple hours or so. Check every so often by picking a few upright cases that would hold water and looking in them for moisture. Works very well.

Takes only minutes to cool enough to handle and put in containers.

I line my pizza pans with paper because they aren't always clean. Don't want my nice clean cases all covered in pizza oil on one side.
Old November 21, 2013, 12:36 AM   #9
marine6680

I have access to 99.99% pure Isopropyl alcohol. After I clean, I rinse in clean water then I rinse in the alcohol.

The alcohol helps clean out any remaining residue and carbon bits for one.

But the big benefit is that when isopropyl mixes with water it forms what is called an azeotrope... the solution can not be separated through evaporation or distillation. The solution has a lower boiling point and evaporates easier due to an altered vapor pressure. Due to the nature of an azeotrope, when the solution evaporates the water and alcohol both do at the same time and rate, so drying is much quicker.
Old November 21, 2013, 06:20 PM   #10
JKilbreth

I have been using the oven to dry brass for a while now. I have used it mainly because I spend exorbitant amounts of time sorting and cleaning brass usually.

As I have had to clean and pre-process over 7500 brass casings this week, I used the oven to dry the brass more quickly. At 170 degrees, it takes the brass less than 15 minutes to dry without water spots, and less than 5 minutes to cool enough to store in plastic bags. Efficient enough for my uses...so long as we're not having lasagna tonight...
Old November 21, 2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Armed_Chicagoan

I just dry mine in a clothes dryer. Put it in a delicate garment bag, fold the bag over the top of the dryer door and close the door on it so it just hangs there and doesn't tumble inside the dryer. 30-40 minutes and it's dry.
Old November 21, 2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Slamfire

One hour annealing with a 1" rod:

Cartridge brass is pretty thin compared to a 1" rod, I do not know how long it would take for the work hardening to anneal away.

There is one way to know for sure, load the ammo up. If the case heads are soft, please post the after action pictures so I can add them to my collection:

Old November 23, 2013, 04:00 AM   #13
JimDandy

I'm with Jay24Bal. I never felt the need to speed the drying process. However, with that said, the most interesting suggestion I've seen was using those food dehydrators.
Old November 23, 2013, 12:37 PM   #14
JKilbreth

I have two reason I try to "speed dry."

1. Slower, air drying methods have left spots on the brass I've dried in the past.
2. If I have to dry large quantities of brass, my little home doesn't have that much space available.

Not that air drying methods aren't valid, just not conducive to my situation.
Old November 25, 2013, 01:06 AM   #15
cheezhed

If it were me I would scrap the brass and replace it with brass that has not been possibly damaged. The price of a pistol repair or replacement is not worth the risk. I just tumble and load my brass and the ammo is fairly bright and pretty. If you have to wash the brass just let it air dry even with spots on them they will shoot just as well.
Old November 26, 2013, 02:59 PM   #16
HiBC

I do not know enough about brass metallurgy to comment on whether 400 deg would matter.

If it is a gas oven with a burner beneath the oven,I don't think radiant heat would be an issue,but in an electric stove,you may find the brass could get hotter than 400 deg from radiant heat from the heating elements as opposed to the ambient heat of the air in the oven,which is what the thermostat works with.

I wonder how something like an electric griddle or fry pan or crock pot might work..maybe one that the non-strick finish has failed on.They often have a "warm" setting.

Last edited by HiBC; November 26, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old November 26, 2013, 06:30 PM   #17
Drue

When I wash brass I usually have a lot of time before the rounds are needed and dry in in the sun on old dish towels on the back porch. On the few times when the weather was bad or I needed to load in a hurry I used the oven. I would heat it up to to 250, turn it off and then put in the brass on dish towels on cookie sheets. Works for me.

Drue
Old November 26, 2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Daggitt

I don't put my brass in the oven. My wife would not like that. She'd probably kick my brass out of the house. I know where my brass belongs. In the basement. I recommend you keep your brass in the basement if you don't want your brass kicked - out of the house.
Old November 28, 2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Greg Mercurio

If you're still concerned about it, send it to me and I'll send you replacement brass from my stash. It's never seen an oven.
Old November 29, 2013, 12:53 AM   #20
BuckRub

Also agree with Brian. Other than the discoloration it'll be fine. If still concerned throw it out.

Actually those discolored casings are good reloaded and in stealth mode.
Old November 30, 2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Overscore

Quote:
I never felt the need to speed the drying process. However, with that said, the most interesting suggestion I've seen was using those food dehydrators.
This is what I use to dry my brass, and I'm happy with it. reasons:
  • I don't have to worry about brass being preheated in my oven.
  • The volume of brass that it can handle couples well with the volume that fits in my double drum tumbler.
  • If I leave the brass in the dehydrator for 10 hours because I went to sleep or to work, I don't worry about it, since the dehydrator is meant to run for that long regularly.
  • It has a small footprint, and it can grow vertically if necessary.
  • If it dies, I can drive down the road to get a new one instead of having to order it from a niche business.
Old December 1, 2013, 07:47 AM   #22
dssajj

Re: Overcooked the brass bird:(

Overscore
What type of dehydrater do you use. Is it passive or forced air?
Old December 1, 2013, 09:21 AM   #23
Overscore

It is this one, which Bed, Bath, and Beyond stocks in stores, at least in my area.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...ord=dehydrator

It forces hot air. I dry on the coolest temperature, and a batch of 9mm is probably dry in under an hour. This is really just a guess though, since the drying isn't the bottleneck in my process flow, so I often just leave it drying until I'm ready to do something with the brass or have another batch to dry.