The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1
kynwatch

Hand held press for 500 s&w

I am thinking of getting a Lee handheld press for reloading 500 s&w only. Is anyone doing this? I reload all my 45acp when I go to my in laws once a year(Pop supplies everything), so I only need it for this caliber. I figure I would only be reloading 20 to 40 rounds a month and can't justify a full press. Thanks for you input and suggestions. I have multiple manuals, just wondering about equipment.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Old July 16, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Edward429451

It's a pretty big case. While I've never used the Lee hand press, I have loaded 500 S&W and my guess is that after loading 50 rounds on the hand press, you would justify a bench mount for ease of use in sizing the big case.

You can pay now, and everything will be easy. You can save money now, and pay extra everytime you load. The plus side is you will have your bench mount and it will load anything you may decide to pick up later. Bite the bullet and get a good bench mounted press.

If it were me, I'd scour the pawn shops looking for a used Rockchucker press. Prolly pick one up for 50 or 75 bucks.
Old July 17, 2012, 08:11 AM   #3
jmorris

I would rather have a cheap press that I could mount to something. Even a good used single stage will be less than a box or two of factory ammunition.