The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 15, 2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Wyatt Earp

Remington Genesis for $99?

Right now you can get a Remington Genesis at cabelas for $99 after rebate.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cm_ite=Primary

What do you think? Is this worth getting? I have always deer hunted with a rifle but thought a muzzleloader would be nice for those extra couple weeks of hunting.

Would this be a good one to get? I would be putting a scope on it, so would there be any issues there with the breach?

Also how would you rate the accuracy of this rifle and the maximum effective range?

Thanks, Wyatt
Old August 15, 2008, 08:23 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ninety-nine dollars for a starter gun? Go for it. Accuracy is a factor of load development and finding the right combination of bullet (maybe sabot), powder charge and cap.
Old August 15, 2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Wyatt Earp

That's what I was thinking. For $99 I was thinking there had to be something wrong with it or something. Seems too good to pass up: Two extra weeks of deer hunting for $99, seems like a steal. Especially since that makes my wait two weeks shorter.

Thanks for the help Gary, Wyatt
Old August 15, 2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Wyatt Earp

Should I use FFFg 777 or FFg 777? I am thinking of using Barnes 290 grain TMZ's. Also a newbie question, with that bullet and the loose 777 powder do you still have to use a patch?

I grew up around a Hawkin 50 cal and I remember there always being a patch, but there was not a plastic case on the bullet.

Thanks, Wyatt
Old August 15, 2008, 10:17 AM   #5
arcticap

A patch is used when shooting a round ball. Only rarely do folks shoot paper patched conical bullets out of an inline, unless they really have a need or the experience.

As far as the powder, when shooting inline guns that use the 209 primers, it doesn't really matter much if you use 777 ffg or fffg.
I usually buy the fffg to use in my .36 caliber sidelock percussions just because the smaller granules flow & measure better .
Just remember that whenever using 777, be sure to measure out 15% less by volume as compared to Pyrodex or black powder because 777 is more powerful.
That means that 100 grains of BP/Pyrodex equals 85 grains of 777 by volume, and maybe even an additional several percent less if using 777 fffg.

Last edited by arcticap; August 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old August 15, 2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Pahoo

Sounds like a great price to me. I have a fiend that has taken many deer with one of these and he swears by it. If the price is the same, I would go with fffg of the 777. You will see a lot of listings for the use of fffg up to and including .50 cal. As stated, you would not use a patch with the sabot but you might want to put a bore button between the sabot and the 777. As far as mounting a scope, no problem and you might want to stay with a Shotgun/ML scope.

Enjoy and:
Be Safe !!!
Old August 15, 2008, 08:35 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

50 Cal & above, go with FFg powder.
Old August 23, 2008, 10:43 PM   #8
reddheadnla1974

Have you got it yet?

I was wondering if you had got it yet, and what you thought of it. I have been checking it out an d am thinking hard about getting one. It looks like a good deal, but sometimes looks can be decieving!
Old August 23, 2008, 11:39 PM   #9
Wyatt Earp

Quote:
I was wondering if you had got it yet, and what you thought of it.
When I ordered it last week it was backordered with an expected two week ship date. As of yesterday it was not on backorder anymore, so hopefully I can let you know this week.

Wyatt
Old August 24, 2008, 12:03 AM   #10
reddheadnla1974

thinking about it hard!!

Good luck, more than likely i am probobly going to go ahead and get one friday. It seems like a really good deal. I have read some of the reviews and they are not bad at all. So I think that I am going to take a chance. Hopefully they will stay on sale a little longer!! Thanks!!
Old August 24, 2008, 12:28 AM   #11
Wyatt Earp

Just checked and it'll be here on Wednesday.

Wyatt