The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2013, 09:57 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Best primer for Ramshot Hunter

I'm about to start doing some load development with Ramshot Hunter in my .25-06. I'll be shooting 100 gr Nosler BT's out of a 22" 1:10 barrel. Should I expect better results with magnum or LR primers with the Hunter powder? I currently have Federal 210, CCI 200, and WLR mag primers on hand. Just trying to decide which to start with. I'm kinda leaning in the direction of the 210's since the Ramshot website shows a Fed 210 with their 100 gr load but I have heard people swear that all Ramshot powders used in anything larger than about 22-250 do better with a mag primer. I have no prior experience with it so I dont know. It is very similar to IMR 4350 in burn rate but its a ball powder unlike 4350.

So, someone steer me in the right direction for primers...
Old April 21, 2013, 09:48 AM   #2
hooligan1

Why don't you try both, first start minimum loads with Magnum primer, see what kind of precision you get, then same loads with CCI 200, see which one you like, If you own a chrono that would also help determine if the mag primers are worth burning in that loading.
I've also heard people say that magnum primers are good with ball powder, and that consisitant ignition is also a goal using those dudes.
I use CCI 200's in the loads I work up for my daughters 25-06, 85 grain B-Tips, IMR 4350.
I also tried magnum primers with Winchester Supreme 780, and 100 grain pills for our .243, it did'nt seem to help performance any over the standard loading.... thats my buck fitty.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Ramshot claims their more modern deterrent coating chemistry allows standard primers to work with them, where the older St. Marks powders (WC8## series, like H335, H380, BL-C(2), H414, 748, 760, etc.) required the formula modification CCI made to their magnum primers in 1989 to work well.

Also note that if you change primer type from the recommended primer, the load performance can change, including a possible increase in pressure. Load data is only valid with the components used to develop it.

That said, you really do have to try primers to see for yourself what helps. Even with powders that don't normally require a magnum primer, you sometimes get better consistency of performance from magnum primers if you have a partially filled case. The reason is that what makes magnum primers different is mainly just that they make a higher volume of gas than a standard primer. If you have a lot of empty space in a case, that extra gas can help get the start pressure up where the powder needs it to be for the most consistent ignition.

Because of the change in start pressure, you can also get a change in peak pressure. The general rule of thumb I use when changing primers is to back my load off 5% and load six rounds in 1% increments and fire them, starting with the low load, and making sure no pressure signs appear as the load increases. This is one of those things that's done most easily with a chronograph because you then simply load back up to the velocity you had before the primer change, then look to see if the velocity standard deviation has been decreased by using the stronger primer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 22, 2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

Usually my deal with trying mag primers is anything with 70+ grains in them. However even with that I have gotten stellar results using standard primers with some powders.

Your loading with Hunter, and I use that in my .270, but I also use Ramshot Magnum in my 25-06 AI which has a touch over 60 grains per load. Either of those two, I use the CCI-BR2 primers, and have had no issues what so ever with ignition. With the 25 I have tried several different primers including mag of two different brands when I was doing load work ups. What I found was that they were more inconsistant at the ranges I was working with and I scrapped them. The load lit with the BR2 would produce lower variations as well as groups at or usually under 2" at 350yds. With the others I couldn't even keep them inside a 4" circle.

Like was mentioned every rifle is different, but I have never found a need for anything other than a standard primer in a standard 25-06 and I have loaded a TON of them as well.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I should have included a link to Allan Jone's article on primers in my first post. It covers the low case fill issue.
Old April 22, 2013, 05:15 PM   #6
steveNChunter

Thanks for the link to that article Unclenick, very informative.

I'm going to experiment with the three types of primers I have on hand, but I believe that the cold temperatures of the NC mountains' deer season and the extra case capacity that I will have with the .25-06 will cause the magnum primers to be favored.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:32 PM   #7
reynolds357

I cant get the link to work.
I, for the most part, use Federal large rifle behind Big game and Hunter.
Old April 23, 2013, 04:28 AM   #8
steveNChunter

I couldn't get the link to work either Reynolds, but I googled it and found it. Maybe this link will work: http://http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/04/ammunition_st_mamotaip_200909/
Old April 23, 2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Steve,

Thanks for the fix. They've changed the url of that article three times now, and I get behind in my saved link data.

Last edited by Unclenick; April 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:53 PM   #10
reynolds357

That was a good article.