The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 21, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1
nobead

Broken bead need help

I recently acquired an older 20 gauge Savage shotgun from my uncle. The bead was broke off or missing. I took it to my local gunshop to ask about retapping to install a new bead. Upon futher investigation,the shop said that the choke tube that was on the gun had thinned out the barrel leaving very little metal to thread a bead into the old hole. I asked if they could set the bead back further and was told I would be way off target while shooting. Now I have the hole where the bead goes and the choke tube backing that up and no thread (1 thread?) to mount the bead. Do you have any suggestions on what I can mount to the barrel that doesn't require a bead to be in place for alignment and security? Is there such a thing as a clamp on, stick on or magnetic that would work in this application? It doesn't have to be pretty, I just want a fun gun to shoot and be accurate in doing so. Tru-glo and Viz-glo both seem to need the bead for alignment and security. Would a heatshield with sights work such as an ATI product?
Old May 21, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2
zippy13

Can't you glue on a replacement?
I've got a glued-on bead, on one gun, that's "temporarily" served satisfactorily for about 25-years.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Orphanedcowboy

They make a snap on replacement, actually snaps around the barrel. Would that possibly work?
Old May 21, 2012, 08:03 PM   #4
oneounceload

Do not worry about the bead - it isn't necessary anyway
Old May 21, 2012, 08:03 PM   #5
nobead

Thanks. I thought about the snap on type but all that I've seen require the bead to back it up and align it. On the glueing of the bead idea, did you glue it into the existing hole or use an aftermaket longer on top of barrel sight? I am afraid if I put glue into what little metal I have to work with it will come lose and / or I won't be able to get the choke tube out. Maybe I can use a combination of both the ideas. Any brand preferences? I am new to this so I am just going by what I read and hear. Thank you for any help and advice you can send my way.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:50 AM   #6
johnbt

He was serious when he said you don't need a bead.

My duck gun hasn't had one for years. Some target shooters don't use one. And a great uncle of mine always filed the beads off his shotguns when he got them.

John
Old May 22, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Virginian

Get a new bead. Thread it in place with red Loctite with no choke tube in place. Grind off the inside so the choke will fit with a Dremel. Pretty common situation actually.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:59 AM   #8
jonnyc

Any bead with a tiny bit of JBWeld will stay on forever.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:35 AM   #9
TheKlawMan

When I first took a Skeet shooting class the insructor said to lose the bead.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:54 AM   #10
zippy13

Shotgun beads serves two purposes, aiming and alignment. If you're shooting Skeet (or other wing shooting) the bead is used to verify your alignment when mounting the gun. The remainder of the time you should be looking at the target, not the bead. That's why some instructors suggest that new shooters lose the bead. If you're using your shotgun like a rifle (for stationary or slow moving targets) then the bead is used for aiming.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Bailey Boat

I have a fiber optic type bead on an 11-87 held on with JB Weld. I keep expecting it to drop off but 6 years later its still there....