The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 4, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
HALL,AUSTIN

What game can be taken with...

30-30, 12gauge, .22LR, and .38s&w. I know that deer, bear, and coyotes are easily taken with 30-30. 22 for smaller game, like squirrels. The 12 gauge for birds to deer. But I dont know of anything the 38s&w would be practical for. If anyone would like to add any animals for the calibers listed, please do. I know its kind of a large spectrum but have at it.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
chewie146

I've heard of trappers using them. I wouldn't go after much bigger than rabbit, if you're talking .38 S&W and not S&W special. I might pop a yote or two with a special, not expecting spectacular performance from anything very far away. .30-30 will do smaller elk as well, with proper ranges and shot placement. A lot of kids around here start with them on cow hunts. The elk don't seem to mind that it doesn't have "Magnum," "WSM," or "SAUM" after the name. They drop just the same. It's not a 400 yard banger, but out to 150, it does just fine.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
HALL,AUSTIN

Thanks for the new info. And YES .38s&w not 38spl. It is old but shoots straight. All it hunts at the moment is paper targets, but a good little hole puncher, just on the pricey side to shoot
Old January 4, 2012, 11:45 PM   #4
warbirdlover

Take a walk down mainstreet in Flint, Michigan and I'm sure you'll find a need to use it on something....

(The houses in the NICE part of town have BARS on windows on them!!)
Old January 5, 2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

.38 Special? Skill, distance, choice of spot to hit on targeted animal.

Vignette: My father told a story from around sixty years ago about a guy showing up at a deer-hunting ranch. S&W .38, six-inch barrel. One-armed guy. The rancher was very dubious, not wanting crippled deer. Keeping it short: In a demo, the would-be hunter put six rounds in a very tight circle at 100 yards.

IOW, not my choice for hogs, but for a neck shot on Bambi at no more than around twenty yards or so...
Old January 5, 2012, 03:31 PM   #6
HALL,AUSTIN

No, not .38special... 38 smith&wesson. Its a caliber
Old January 5, 2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Oh. Okay. How about rabbits? Up close? Shot placement is important; you don't want a bunny rabbit in your little rowboat, Jimmy Carter...