The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 15, 2011, 09:05 PM   #1
rodwhaincamo

Reliability of Kahr Pistols

After looking over the many slim sub compact pistols for my GF the Kahr's just seemed the overall best choice for the $. The more and more I read and looked at them the more I was set on them being the ideal CC for her (after renting the options).
I signed up at Kahrtalk and find that they seem to be fairly problematic. It makes me think of Taurus...a gamble.
I can look past the break-in period as it could have tight tolerances or such. No biggie. But to have triggers not reset, slides not lock back, or lock back early, followers catching on the mag release, parts working loose, etc. is not something I'd feel comfy relying on to protect her.
Of course every manufacturer has problems from time to time. And I have no idea what the level of sample I'm hearing of is.
Would you trust a broken-in Kahr with your life?
Old June 15, 2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Rugerismisticness

Yeah, but I'd much prefer a broken in SR9C.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:15 PM   #3
RetiredMajor

I trust my Kahr PM9 every time I carry. I've had it for 3 years now and have at least 2000 rounds through it. I've shot it at IDPA matches,too. I had a few failures to feed in the first 200 or so rounds (that was a long time ago) and that was it.

I've experienced absolutely no problems with my Kahr and I trust it completely.

Best of luck with your choice,
Major
Old June 15, 2011, 09:19 PM   #4
camsdaddy

Debating a CW45 myself. I can tell you they spend some cash on advertising. They are highly rated and often written about. Hard to deny the large Kahr ads close by. I've been researching awhile. Seems most owners are pleased and vocal. Accuracy, dependability etc.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:22 PM   #5
KyJim

I recently purchased a CM9 and have put about 250 rounds through it (more rounds through it later this week). I think you absolutely have to break these pistols in. At least with the small ones, have a nice firm grip on them. But that's on just about any of the small semi-autos. Also, keep in mind that those with problems are more likely to post about them.

I started carrying mine this past week, both in a pocket holster and IWB holster. So, that answers your question about trusting your life to it.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:30 PM   #6
rodwhaincamo

I thought most seemed more than pleased after their break-in. But now I'm reading of lots of problems.
I still consider them an option. Especially the CM9. Nothing else out there that size for that cost. And they seem to have high velocities despite their short barrels.
Next up would be the LC9 or 250sc
Are the High Standard Back Up's worth a look see?
Old June 15, 2011, 09:32 PM   #7
orionengnr

I own a Kahr PM9 which experienced the "dreaded barrel peening", which was characteristic of a certain serial number range. Kahr fixed it quickly and correctly, first time, on their dime. I carried it every day for 3 1/2 years, and shot it at least once per month during that time.

I own a P45 that has worked perfectly from round #1. I carried it for a year and a half, and shot it at least once a month during that time.

I owned a PM45 that I hoped would be the perfect compromise between the PM9 and the P45. It worked great (but really showed me no advantage over either) so I sold it to a friend who disagrees with my assessment and carries it every day.

I plan on buying a P380 and selling my LCP.

Edited to add: If you are in TX and want to try one or more of mine, pm me.
This offer is not limited to the OP.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:37 PM   #8
rodwhaincamo

"Also, keep in mind that those with problems are more likely to post about them."
I figure you only hear about less than 10% of the good ones as not many owners take the time to join a forum, yet many will quickly join to raise the alarm.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:38 PM   #9
franco45

I own three Kahr pistols. A CW9, a CM9 and a CW45. Both 9mm guns have been flawless. Over 1000 rounds through the CW and about 250 rounds through my new CM. The CW45 had 3 ftfeed in the first 200 rounds but has been perfect for over 500 rounds now.
I think you will find that when one does experience a problem with a gun they will go to the forum for that gun to get information. Many who have no problems don't post.

Sorry Kyjim, I just noticed that you already made the point about gun forums.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:39 PM   #10
TX15

The 9mm's run without issue for the most part. The 45's have issues. I've owned 2 and know of 4 more with similar faults. I really wanted to trust them but I had jamming issues on both. I've been told that it was magazine issues and that they've corrected it.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:43 PM   #11
redstategunnut

My PM9 has been 100% reliable out of the box. Great for deep concealment carry.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Willieboy

I own a PM9 and a K9. I've carried the PM9 every day this summer. I have 800 rounds through it and it's been perfect with the 6 round magazines. i traded in the 7 round magazine, which was not reliable, for another 6 rounder.

The K9 has been perfect and is one of my favorite handguns.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:52 PM   #13
rodwhaincamo

Another thing that keeps me interested is a Covert conversion. Especially the photos I saw in which the backstrap is cut to fit the magazine with finger extension flushly. Cool. I had always wanted a Kimber Compact or Safari Arms (oly Arms now) Enforcer with the 4" barrel as I had carried a Hardballer for quite awhile, though it was a bit much for my scrawny frame.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:06 PM   #14
Sgt Pepper

I have a P45. I acquired it used a number of years ago with an unknown round count. It has never failed in my hands, but I have only put a couple hundred through it. It may very be the perfect .45 acp carry gun. Thin, light, compact, smooth consistent trigger, soft shooting, and really, really accurate. It is the gun that I always had wished Glock would make.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:09 PM   #15
Johannes_Paulsen

Have an MK9. Had an FTE in the first 200 rounds. After that, no issues, other than one or two more FTEs -- but both of those were from a suspect box of 100-rd Winchester White Box that caused FTEs in other pistols, too.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:13 PM   #16
MLeake

I had to do a slight fluff-n-buff on my PM9, especially on a part of the polymer frame where the edge had a burr. I also had to stop using the 7rd magazine.

Once I did those two things, I had no further feed issues with the gun. I had almost given up on it, but it has turned out to be a good gun ever since.

Most rounds I've put through it in one day has been 400; it had no failures.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:22 PM   #17
Billy Shears

CW9. Two years. 1,500 rounds of all different types of ammo including lots of handloads. Zero malfunctions of any kind. Ever.

Mine goes with me almost everywhere. It's an ideal concealed carry pistol for me.

Had a CW40 for a while too. It was flawless but I preferred the 9mm so I sold the .40.

They really are great firearms. Give 'em a try.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:57 PM   #18
GDCooper

MK40 and PM9, both have been flawless and are favorite carries.

Also have a Sig P238 that lots of shooters have had problems with, while I've had none.

Maybe I've been REALLY lucky??

Or more likely, there's an occasional lemon out of thousands like anything else, plus "operator error" that gets blamed on the gun.

Regardless, I have no hesitation in recommending the Kahr models I have. Really like the MK, great workmanship.
Old June 16, 2011, 01:00 AM   #19
AustinTX

Just received my P380 from its third vacation to warranty service since mid-April on Tuesday. It will be taking its fourth trip tomorrow afternoon.
Old June 16, 2011, 01:23 AM   #20
BerettaBuckeye

In my experience the 9mm guns are the best and their .45 are the worst.The K9 has a great reputation and the P9/CW9/PM9/CM9's are known as pretty reliable too. I personally think the CW9 is one of the best 9mm carry guns out there. Of course I carry a 1911 in .45 but that's a whole 'nother topic
- Jeff Cooper
Old June 16, 2011, 06:34 AM   #21
PSP

I've had eight Kahrs. Five have been very reliable, a P9, K9, TP9 and a T9. These have been problem free. The all steel Kahr seem most solid and well made.

The three Kahrs that gave me problems were a CW9 with incurable light strikes and a P45 and TP45, both had ejection problems. I must say that I didn't enjoy the .45 as much either. Maybe a little too light wieght for my aging hands to handle.

The ease of carry due to the weight and slim profile make the Kahe line worth a look if you need a CCW. Combined with a good holster, it is hard to find a more useful, simple to use, accurate and safe pistol. Some can handle the trigger, some don't like it.

Last edited by PSP; June 17, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:31 AM   #22
CWKahrFan

"Would you trust a broken-in Kahr with your life?"

Yes! I have CW9 and CW45 and haven't had ANY problems with either one. To me, CW9 is an especially accurate sweet-shooter for its size... Easy to CC... Fits my hand perfectly. I carry it mostly IWB but also shoulder-holster sometimes.

I've considered also buying a CM9 but, so far, I've decided that the extra grip that the CWs provide is a very important factor for me.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:10 AM   #23
catnphx

I'm a S&W guy but also have a CW9 with about 800 rounds through it ... very pleased with the gun. Great conceal option and I wear mine alot. It would be a mistake to dismiss Kahr without further investigation.

Good luck.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old June 16, 2011, 08:28 AM   #24
Scimmia

Quote:
Just received my P380 from its third vacation to warranty service since mid-April on Tuesday. It will be taking its fourth trip tomorrow afternoon.
Yeah, they've had some issues with the P380, far more than they've had with their other offerings. My CM9 has been perfect through the first 500 rounds or so. I would and do trust my life with it, but I don't think I would with the P380 until things get worked out.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:52 AM   #25
hulley

I have a CW9 that should be arriving today. Follow the clean/lube/rack procedure in the tech forum at kahrtalk.com and everything should be ok. I had some similar problems with a FNP-40 in the begining and now its my smoothest running gun! I'll never let it go. Are there lemons out there? Sure. Do guns need a proper break-in and cleaning/lube before shooting? I believe so.