The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2008, 06:21 PM   #1
ELMOUSMC

Empty case weight VS accuracy?

I shoot a model 40 Savage .22 Hornet.I recently purchased some WW brass I reloaded 40 rounds and went to my range to check them out.Unreal about every 3rd or 4th shot was a flyer up,down,left,right this is completely opposite from what this rifle normally shoots it is boringly accurate.I got back in the house and starting checking loads-Primers-powder-bullets-crimp the only thing different was the brass.I got out my scale and weighted each caseand I found that there was a range of weight from 49.3 to 50.8 grains in just 60 cases these cases were all trimmed to lenght and neck sizedcould the flyer problem be case weight? Thanks ELMO
Old March 2, 2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Sevens

Amazing that we have two different threads on the .22 Hornet in a week. I have been reading my stock of old G&A issues and there was a centerpiece on the Hornet and I just read about it on Thursday. The author talked at length about how finicky the caliber can be to reload, and also spoke about the extreme variation in factory brass.

Because it's not a high volume case, a variation in weight (i.e., a variation in internal volume) plays real havoc with the space the charge occupies and the internal pressures.

You've really got to segregate brass in this caliber, perhaps more than any other. But then-- you already found that out, didn't you?!
Old March 2, 2008, 11:35 PM   #3
ELMOUSMC

So basically whats happening is even though I have the same powder loads the case Internal size is throwing the pressure out of wack and thus effecting accuracy Correct? ELMO
Old March 3, 2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Sevens

That's just about exactly what I gathered from a 20-year old reloading feature on the .22 Hornet in Guns & Ammo magazine. Although, the author in that case was talking about the extreme differences when comparing one brand of brass to another... he didn't say anything about variations in brass from the same maker.

Some calibers are more particular about certain things than others. For example, .222 Rem is a caliber that has always had the reputation of being inherently accurate. In a similar way, the .22 Hornet has the reputation for being very finicky with regards to primer choice and case volume. Considering how small the internal volume is to most center fire rifle calibers, it makes sense to me that what might be perceived as a small difference ends up being a large factor in how it performs.

Have you always neck-sized your reloads? Maybe take the same group of cases with the same variation in weight but full-length resize them and see if the groups tighten up.

Have you absolutely taken the rifle out of the equation? Can you load up 10 rounds of factory ammo right now and still shoot boringly accurate? Copper fouling can throw a rifle in to convulsions where accuracy is concerned.
Old March 3, 2008, 12:12 PM   #5
ELMOUSMC

I found a box of winchester factory rounds with 6 rounds in it in my gun room,they are about the only factory rounds I have as I am in the process of switching out my reloaded brass for new.I went down to my range this morning and fired them at 100yds all could be covered with a nickle so the rifle is definitly not the culprit.I have weighted all the brass and have it divided into 3 groups UNDER 49.3 to 49.8. grains(15cases) STANDARD 49.9 to50.2(31cases) and OVER 50.3 to50.8(14cases) I am going to load 5 of each today go down to the range and see what I've got I'll let you know this evening what I've come up with thanks for your imput ELMO
Old March 3, 2008, 03:35 PM   #6
ELMOUSMC

Results!

My results were:The cases that were HEAVY- no flyers group could be covered by a quarter The cases that were STANDARD-no flyers and could also be covered by a quarter.The cases that were LIGHT out of 5 rounds 2 were semi flyers giving a group size of just over 1and 1/2 inches. Now that is just the opposite of the results I thought I would get as I figured that the heavy cases would be the ones to have pressure issues.Whats going on with pressure in the light cases? ELMO
Old March 3, 2008, 04:01 PM   #7
rwilson452

heavy cases

It's not so much that the heavy cases are producing more pressure. They are producing consistent pressure thus consistent velocity. perhaps putting another .2 grains in the light cases would give you better results.

Quote:
My results were:The cases that were HEAVY- no flyers group could be covered by a quarter The cases that were STANDARD-no flyers and could also be covered by a quarter.The cases that were LIGHT out of 5 rounds 2 were semi flyers giving a group size of just over 1and 1/2 inches. Now that is just the opposite of the results I thought I would get as I figured that the heavy cases would be the ones to have pressure issues.Whats going on with pressure in the light cases? ELMO
Old March 3, 2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Sevens

I agree. Further, just being heavier doesn't guarantee they have less internal volume. It suggests it... but doesn't guarantee it. You could do a water volume test, but if you can make nice tight groups simply by segregating your brass, I wouldn't go through the hassle of trying to determine case volume.
Old March 3, 2008, 11:24 PM   #9
ELMOUSMC

Sevens: Thank You Elmousmc:d