The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2006, 09:23 PM   #1
nurseman

Hornady LnL AP Problem

I have had my LnL AP for two weeks. I loaded less than 50 rounds and the drive hub split. I called Hornady and they shipped another drive hub. I asked them if they were awatre of this happining because I was concerned since it seemed to be a weak link in the system I only load 45 and I use One Shot case lube so the press should not be under any stress. They told me that it must have been from a bad patch they had a while ago.
I received the new hub and installed it. After loading less than 100 rounds the new one split. Now I will have to call again see what is up. The split happens when starting the up stroke I can not understand what the problem can be. Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Pics
http://members.cox.net/nurseman/Split.JPG
http://members.cox.net/nurseman/Split2.JPG

Last edited by nurseman; June 4, 2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old June 4, 2006, 03:18 PM   #2
B9mmHP

One Shot Lube

To make a long story short.

I used the One Shot Lube on my new Lee press, the cartridges were like trying to shove a 1/2" in a 1/4" hole. A friend of mine called Hornaday, the tec told him to use Graphite?

Well, I used RCBS case lube instead and it worked beautiful.

This may not be the problem you have, but I will never use the one shot again.

PS; I tried it 3 different times 3 different ways.
Old June 4, 2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Flanker

Loading .45 (or in my case 9mm) with carbide dies, you can reload without using any case lube at all - Most people don't use any with pistol calibres. I've always used One-Shot even on pistol cases, as it really made things a lot smoother on the old Lee Pro 1000 (wich by the way didn't break)... And I'll continue to use it with the Dillon as well.

This has nothing to do with case lube. It has everything to do with poor QC at Hornady and a weak point in the design of the LnL AP press.
Old June 4, 2006, 03:54 PM   #4
B9mmHP

Sorry

nurseman - Flanker

I missed the 45 part.
You are right, but when I read the One Shot Lube part, I got mad and forgot about it being a 45.

Mine was a 30.06.
Old June 8, 2006, 12:06 AM   #5
VAdoublegunner

One of my pals is having the same problem with his L-N-L he got about 3 weeks ago. I think we've replaced about 4 or 5 drive hubs now. Hornady's folks say they got a bad bunch of castings and are working through this problem. The hubs are all splitting in the same place. They are really not that hard to replace.

I helped him set the press up and I loaded about a 100 45 ACPs on it when first set up, then again after we replaced the first broken drive hub, with no probs. I thought as a new user he may have been using excessive primer seating pressure ("up" force), although that was an unlikely cause considering the press design & strength. Hornady confirmed bad metal casting probs from their supplier.

I have two L-N-Ls one with about 15K rounds, another with about 6K. Both are post-bad-plastic-priming-part era and about 4 & 2 years old. Except for the occasional twisted case rim retainer spring, and the time I broke a pawl trying to "swage" a stuck 9mm case with the shellplate (my error, which they corrected by sending a free replacement part) they have been remarkably functional and easy to use tools.

They'll get this issue fixed. The L-N-L is far and away one of the greatest presses made for the cost, function and ease of use. I'm glad all the Dillon, RCBS, Lee, etc. guys enjoy their respective choices. I tried 'em all, they all generally work well, but I chose to buy a Hornady L-N-L, and then a second one, to replace my older Hornady Pro-Jector. A well thought out, well designed, superior product.
Old June 8, 2006, 04:17 AM   #6
gary2905

I have a Hornady LNL with appx. 4000 rounds through it-2000 of .45 ACP, and 1000 each of .38 Special and 9 mm.
Flawless.
I looked at Dillon-great press but Hornady was way less expensive and super easy to change out calibers without spending a ton of time or buying extra toolheads.
Sorry you guys had this problem, hope it all gets worked out shortly.
Old June 8, 2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Don H

Quote:
I chose to buy a Hornady L-N-L, and then a second one, to replace my older Hornady Pro-Jector.
VA,

Other than the ability to change dies quickly, what do you see as the main advantages over the Pro-Jector?
Old June 8, 2006, 02:46 PM   #8
robctwo

That is wierd. My LnL has about 28,000 rounds loaded, mostly pistol but some rifle over the past few years. My only ongoing issue is that I break the retaining springs with some regularity. I recycle them and the recycled ones seem to last longer than new. I use the one shot on the pistol cases. I put them in a cardboard box and spray a light coating on them and mix them up while wet. Very light coating. I use the wax on the rifle cases. Only real jam was on some .223 when I got in a hurry. Boy that didn't work out quick.
Old June 8, 2006, 09:50 PM   #9
BigJakeJ1s

The LNL AP has a better primer feed system, case activated powder measure (so it does not dump a load of powder all over creation if there is no case in that station), and an optional case feeder. The pro-jector had none of these, IIRC.

I'm not a metalurgist, but those pictures of the broken drive hub certainly look like a faulty casting.

Andy
Old June 8, 2006, 09:57 PM   #10
Don H

How is the primer feed system better? I've not had any problems with the one in my Pro-Jector. I was under the impression that the Pro-jector could be retrofitted with the casefeeder. Am I mistaken?
Old June 9, 2006, 10:11 PM   #11
BigJakeJ1s

I don't own one, but from what I understand, the old primer feed had a plastic base part that was easy to break. It also was more difficult to empty the primer tube, or change primer sizes when some primers were still in the tube. The case feeder needs a special subplate for the shell holder that comes with the newer presses, but is available separately to update older LNL AP's. I don't think it is compatible with the projector, but I'm not sure. The new subplate has an extension arm at 10 o'clock or so for the case feed shuttle, looking down on it from the front (the primer shuttle arm would be at 1 or 2 o'clock). The same subplate also accepts the new primer feed system too.

Andy
Old June 9, 2006, 10:14 PM   #12
VAdoublegunner

Hello Don H,
A very good question.
The ol' Pro-Jector is a well made, true progressive press. Easily the better of a 550. I used it for a long time, to the point where Hornady sent me a new bushing and actuating rod for the powder measure because the aluminum bushing hole had plum worn oval!

I bought a L-N-L while still using the Projector so I had one set up for large and one for small primers. The more I switched from one to the other, the more I came to like the priming system on the L-N-L (no need to remember to remove the tube at the end of a series before you fling a few primers on the floor) nor disconnect the push rod from the measure before you dump powder after the last 2 cases in a series. The L-N-L primer feed and case activated measure is an ingenious user friendly improvement over the Pro-Jector. The bushing system was also a plus. BTW, I almost bought another Pro-Jector but by then the L-N-L was the hot new thing and the primer feed plastic part problem had been corrected.

As it turned out, my significant other (who also shoots and keeps me busy reloading) promised to buy me a new press if I painted the room I reload in ... done deal! Afterall, that old Pro-Jector was "just worn out" and that's what I loaded her 40S&Ws on (that was my story any way, hee, heee...).

I was going to sell it, but just haven't had the heart to let to old girl go. So I boxed it up with all its parts and have it stored in a honorable location, ready to serve again if needed. In truth though, I do like the L-N-Ls a lot and the bushing arrangement is very handy. I may one day let the Pro-Jector go to someone who recognizes quality and will give it a good home. Hmmm, you know, I tried to sell it to my pal whom I talked into buying the L-N-L with the hubs that are breaking ... may be a trade is a-brewing....
Old June 10, 2006, 06:16 PM   #13
Don H

BigJake/Andy,

I think you must be thinking of the earlier version of the L-N-L. The Pro-Jector has only one piece of plastic - the ball on the end of the handle. Thanks for the detail on the case-feeder subplate. There aren't any set up in the local stores that I've been to.

VA,

I'm kind of in the same place you were - looking to set up another press so I could accomodate large and small primers without messing around with a switch-over. Maybe I'll pick an L-N-L up and play with it for a while and see which way I want to go. Thanks for taking the time for the detailed response!
Old June 11, 2006, 10:54 PM   #14
tmanG

Hey guys,
Just thought I would ring in and let everyone know that I just bought my LNL 3 week ago and have had the same exact problem with the hub cracking in the same place (sometimes within the second upstroke; I have now broken 3 hubs and am now on my fourth. I spoke to Hornady and they explained to me that this batch of hubs had a manufacturing defect; something to do with the bit used it caused a hairline cut/crack in the piece. Anyway, last time I called they sent me three just incase. They also, while on the phone with me, called the machining company they have contracted to make these particular parts and said that they would have replacment parts in a couple of weeks.
Old June 12, 2006, 05:02 PM   #15
Wrangler5

I take it the hub cracking problem is likely/certain with all presses currently in stock in stores/warehouses? So any press bought new at this point (summer 06) is likely/certain to fail? But the problem will be solved shortly with a replacement part that is not defective, and will be provided free by Hornady as needed?
Old June 13, 2006, 02:04 AM   #16
VAdoublegunner

That probably and unfortunately is the case, Wrangler5. Hornady could recall new presses currently in dealer stock to replace the hub before they are sold after they get the new hubs in. That would probably be their best approach for reputation and customer service. Otherwise, they will have to send a lot of new customers repair hubs, some perhaps mechanically inclined enough to replace it (not difficult) and others not, or deal with customer dissatisfaction at having to return a new press for repair. An unfortunate situation for a good company with a very good product all because of a bad part supplier. But, it has happened with many other products. Anyone own a S&W 686-M, e.g.?
Old June 13, 2006, 07:45 AM   #17
alsmith

Hornady Where is the pride in your reputation

It appears that Hornady is not stepping up to the plate in addressing the issue of the defective part. Companies that pride themselves in their reputation would have recalled the product instead of letting it continue to be sold. How a company handles a defective product tells a lot about a company.

Al
Old October 22, 2007, 06:30 PM   #18
millers5285

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help. I also had a drive hub crack on my LNL AP the other day. Hornady was great...they are shipping one today. The guy on the phone wasn't sure if it came with install instructions. Can someone tell me how to replace the drive hub?