The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2004, 08:47 AM   #1
beardking

What gun for blowing up clay pigeons?

Hello all shotgun gurus out there. My wife and I are considering trying out Trap Shooting in the near future. Problem is, all I have for a shotgun right now is an old H&R single shot 12 ga. Now, for just messing around, this might do the trick, but I'd like to get an idea of an affordable pump gun to use instead. I've been wanting a pump gun for a while now, and this seems like a good way to get one, especially since the accountant (wife) is mostly on board with the idea.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Beardking
Old September 13, 2004, 12:47 PM   #2
trapperready

If you're set on a pump, then it's hard to go wrong with a Remington 870. My personal preference would be to look around for a used Wingmaster. You can usually find them for just a few bucks more than a new Express, except the WM will look better and the used ones are usually already "broken in".

Try to find one with screw-in chokes, as you will probably end up shooting IM or Full if you play the trap game long enough.
Old September 13, 2004, 01:04 PM   #3
gifted

Quote:
Try to find one with screw-in chokes, as you will probably end up shooting IM or Full if you play the trap game long enough.
To say nothing of all the other shotgun sports.
Old September 13, 2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870, with Remchokes. There's other choices, but an 870 is a LOT of gun for the money.

Work life is about 250K rounds.

More accessories are made for the 870 than the next three most popular pumps combined.

They are as reliable as a crowbar and darn near as durable.

And they are as adaptable as they are common.