The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2002, 05:17 PM   #1
Brian Newbill

Price check on Stevens 311A 20 ga

I am looking at purchasing a Stevens 311A 20 ga 2 3/4" with 28in barrels Modified and Full.

It is called "Extra Clean". I talked to the guy on the phone and he said it had really good blue but a little wear on the case colors. No cracks in any of the wood.

He wants $350 out the door for it.

I have purchased several guns from this store before and I trust him but I don't know about the price.

What is the verdict? Good deal or pass?

ps. I have really been wanting a decent quality 20 ga SXS double barrel for hunting.
Old December 8, 2002, 05:32 PM   #2
OkieCruffler

I'm showing a blue book value of $350 in VG condition, but my book is a few years old. I've seen them for around $250, but if you like this one and want a good feild gun you won't be disappointed with the 311.
Old December 8, 2002, 05:34 PM   #3
LF&Co. MG

There is a gunshop in my area that has the same gun in similar condition. He is wanting mid 3's too. THese used to be reasonable guns to buy before the "cowboys" showed an interest. I would say the asking price is right on market value.
Old December 8, 2002, 06:38 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

CAS has a lot to answer for, they've driven the price up on nice old doubles like the 311s, and lots of them have commited atrocities on 97 Winchesters like bobbing bbls.

IMO, $350's a hair high unless it's near new in condition, the wood's pretty and you really covet it.

I don't expect 311 prices to drop, lots of folks are realizing there's a lot of value there for a little money.

One caveat, there's occasional regulation probs with these. I'd do a few shots at the patterning board to ensure the bbls shoot to the same point.
Old December 8, 2002, 09:41 PM   #5
OkieCruffler

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to do the CAS thing, but everytime I see one of those 311's or especially a '97 Winchester chopped up like some piece of oilfeild pipe I cringe. I bought most of my 311's several years ago for $200-$250. Now every one I see has a tag on it that says "great for cowboy action shooting" and a price of $300 and up. Brings a tear to my eye.
Old December 9, 2002, 04:43 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

CAS seems like a lot of fun to me also, John, and the shooters I've met are a nice lot. But, they've done un-nice things to some gun prices.

Back a few decades, the same thing happened with SA Colts. The fast draw crowd elevated prices into the stratosphere. The prices never did come down.
Old December 11, 2002, 01:09 AM   #7
Big Hext

Durn it, it ain't our fault

I know we have paid sadly excessive amounts for old beater shotguns. We've done horrible things to the 97 market. Have you tried to find an 87 lately? (part of that weight falls on T2 and Arnie)

But it's just too much fun. And even these "high" prices are still pretty low.

So get off the porch and come run with the slow dogs.

Adios,
Old December 11, 2002, 04:26 AM   #8
OkieCruffler

I can't afford to run with you slow dogs, but if I could I would chop up an IGA or some such.
Old December 11, 2002, 08:10 AM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Aside from the thread veer..

Brian, around here that's a tad high, but not by much. Last gunshow they were moving at 300, asking at 325 and up. You may be able to get a few bucks off, but spending an extra 50.00 bucks and getting a good one may be worth it in the long run.