The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2013, 04:52 AM   #1
kcub

I saw a CZ a nice retired jarhead gent was shooting...

...at the range the other day. I know that because he had a USMC ballcap that said so. I am trying to figure out the model. I should have paid more attention but I was severely distracted with my Springfield XDs light primer strike problem that had just got back from SA unresolved.

What I remember was that it was somewhat compact, 9mm, black steel slide, olive drab plastic frame with a squared off front edge of the trigger guard. He was raving about the little gun. Anybody know what it was? Experience?

I once had a CZ85 I bought because it had an ambi safety. It was too fat of a grip and I ultimately traded it off after having it set in my safe for some time. This little green one felt much better in my hand. If a CZ model does not come with an ambi safety (I recall this one did not have one) can you get one aftermarket?
Old July 10, 2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Pilot

It was probably a P-07 with green polymer frame.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Walt Sherrill

While I have no direct (hands-on) experience with the new P-07 or P-09, I don't think you can fit a ambi-safety to either model, and I'd be surprised if it was possible. That's because those models are designed to be user-convertible from safety to decocker (and back), and that would make an ambi-safety/decocker hard to build into the design. (Maybe someone will come up with a after-market "ambi" kit, later?)

You might try talking with CZ-USA (contact email and phone on their CZ-USA website) and get an answer straight from the horses mouth.
Old July 10, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
gothcopter

Actually, both the decocker and safety for the CZ P-07/09 are ambidextrous.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:10 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
+1
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 10, 2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Rupskin

I would just go to CZ's website and look through the photos until you find it
Old July 10, 2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothcopter
Good to know, and I'm happy that my guesswork was wrong. (I haven't even SEEN one in the real world, yet.)

I think this reinforces my belief that this (P-07, P-09) is a more-than-subtle change of direction for CZ -- and the direction they'll be taking in the future for all their service pistols.

(I suspect, however, that they'll still have a lot of metal-framed guns in the product array as they move forward.)
Old July 10, 2013, 09:49 PM   #8
kcub

I looked on th cz website and the p07 seems to be the one; but I have no explanation about the absence of an ambi safety.

I'm afraid to go look at one thats apt to be at the lgs; they just might have it.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
armoredman

The P-07s and the P-09s are fully ambidextrous with both safety and decocker, and parts for both are included with the sidearm, which can be swapped out by the user. I left mine as a decocker, because I like that better.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:17 PM   #10
BarkSlayer

Definitely the P-07. Haven't seen the new P-09 in anything but black yet, and it can hardly be described as "little." Both are excellent.
Old July 12, 2013, 10:47 AM   #11
SterlingtheBandit

Definitely a P-07

Everyone else nailed it. I own a P-07 9mm, but I've never considered an ambi-safety for it. I can say that the later series production is brilliant. I've seen quite a bit of angst over the first production run (some cosmetic issues, some failure to drop mags, and some failure to return to battery), but mine is awesome. Tack-driver accurate, highly intuitive, looks/feels great.
Past firearms (in order of acquisition): CZ 52, Hi-Point 9mm Carbine, Alchemy Arms Spectre .45, CZ 75B, Smith and Wesson M&P .40c. Past issued weapons: M16A4 w/M203, M4, M249 SAW. Current firearms: CZ P-07 Duty 9mm, To Be Continued.
Old July 13, 2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Kleab

I got the P-01 about a month ago and absolutely love it. While looking for it, pretty much every store I went to had a P-07 in stock and I was very tempted to abandon my search a couple of times and go with the P-07. It's a comfortable little gun. It shouldn't be too hard to track one down. CZ ships out certain models at a time and the P-07 seems to be what was shipped out recently and is in stock.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old July 14, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
kcub

OD P-07s are not available at the moment though the black ones are. I found one on gunbroker and paid dearly for it.
Old July 18, 2013, 03:04 PM   #14
armoredman

CZ is getting guns in, literally in spurts. As I was told, the plane might be loaded with PCRs, or P-07s, or CZ 455s, whatever the factory has built recently...and they barely touch the shelves on the way out the door.