The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 4, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
TX Hunter

Winchester Model 70 ALASKAN 30 06

Has anyone out there used one of these? This elegant Rifle is calling to me. I like the looks of it, and being able to get it with iron sights, chanbered for 30 06 is making me want one bad. It also has a 25 inch barrel and I am a Handloader. Any coments on this Rifle will be apreciated. I am thinking of getting one and mounting a Leupold 3x9x40 in quick detach rings and being able to remove the Scope when I want Irons.

Last edited by TX Hunter; April 4, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
PetahW

Sorry, I prefer my .30-06's to weight in @ around 6-6.5 lbs w/o a scope, not 8.5 lbs.

Although, the weight's appreciated in .375H&H & up chamberings, I'm sure.

Old April 4, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
reynolds357

Love the rifle, but not crazy about your chambering choice.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
20thru45

Location: In the first foothills of the Cascade mountains outside Portland OR
I like the iron sights that's a great asset. It is ironic that a heavy rifle with a long barrel for 06 could be named Alaskan. Get in a willow or alder thicket and every inch of barrel makes a difference and shorter is better. If you don't have rain running down the inside of your rain gear and dripping off you rifle you're probably not in Alaska or it's winter there. No place for regular steel and wood if it's my choice.

Might be just right for however you hunt and a 25" barrel and handloads could make a nice accurate flat shooter.

I actually have a similar rifle that I call my Alaskan rifle. It's a classic stainless model 70 .338 Win Mag with a 22" barrel, iron sights, low power scope with quick detach, and the magazine floor plate screwed shut. It's even got the bolt on the correct side, southpaw.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Hunter
...This elegant Rifle is calling to me. I like the looks of it, and being able to get it with iron sights, chambered for 30 06 is making me want one bad....
Go buy it, ASAP! Every time I've had a rifle "call me" & I didn't buy it, I had regrets later. Every "calling rifle" I bought, I still have & enjoy!

Life's too short, my friend!

JIMHO...

...bug
Old April 5, 2013, 09:06 AM   #6
kraigwy

I like it, though I don't think I've seen a Model 70 I didn't like. (except the silver ones, Model 70s are suppose to be blued with wood stocks).

Didn't think about it until reading this post but I guess it has to be added to my "gotta have" list.

Only I think that rifle just screams WEAVER K4 scope.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 5, 2013, 09:08 AM   #7
AllenJ

"Elegant" is the perfect word to describe that rifle TX! I would not want to lug it around the Rocky Mountains chasing elk but for stand hunting the weight would be a non-issue. If you buy one please post pics of gun and targets, I would love to know how it performs.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:42 AM   #8
TX Hunter

Thanks guys, this Rifle is on my to get soon list I have a few bills to take care offirst, but will soon be in a position to purchase this Rifle. I chose the 30 06 because its my pet cartridge and a favorite for the Deer and Boar that I hunt, I am a collector of the 1903 Springfield, and the Mauser, this rifle reminds me of both, but in a sporting configuration. My Collector Rifles are in thieir Millitary configurations. sometimes I like a scope on my Rifle, other times I like Irons. When I do get this Rifle I will do a complete review of it, with pictures and all. It is a large Rifle, and to me brings up images of the African Safari Rifles that I like to read about, I will never go on a Safari, and the 30 06 will work well for any game I encounter here in America. This is the first time in a long time I have seen a picture of a Rifle that just grabbed my attention. I think its beautifull. Kind of like a Sporting Rifle from a generation gone by. Im glad I have a place to share these thoughts with fellow Rifleman that understand how I feel.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:46 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
Model 70s are suppose to be blued with wood stocks).
Come on Kraig, where is your practical side.

And to prove I do at least have a little good taste.

The Alaskan wouldn't appeal to me. Too heavy, and more barrrel than I'd want. I plan to add irons and QD mounts to the SS Fwt in the first photo. It is 7.5 lbs as it sets and that is all the weight I want. Of the wood stocks Winchester currenty offer the Jack O'Connor tribute is the one that would most appeal to me.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/librar...ail.asp?id=397

But you buy rifles to suit yourself. If it makes you happy, I'm sure it is a quality rifle. All 3 of the SS rifles above are tack drivers and I've been very pleased with them. The 308 in the 3rd photo is 2008 FN made gun and it is a darn good rifle. The other 2 are Classics made between 1996 and `2000. I found the Fwt in the top photo NIB just about 1 year ago.
Old April 25, 2014, 12:36 PM   #10
hoser

Ruger Guide Gun?

I've been looking at the 30-06 M70 Alaskan too -- mainly because of the iron sights. Came across the Ruger Guide Gun. Anyone have any experience with this one? I kind of like it because it's a shorter 20" barrel.

http://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/models.html

Anyone with opinions?
Old May 2, 2014, 07:58 PM   #11
WildBill45

I love this rifle, as it is, no complaints here!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"