The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Iron Man

Cimarron quality issues

I have always been impressed with Cimarron (Uberti). But recently a group of us ordered four Man with No Name conversion revolvers. The screw that secures the loading gate would back out easily and allow the gate to come in contact with the cyclinder, in turn seizing the cylinder. One of the four pistols had gouges all over the outside of the engraved cylinder.

I contacted Cimarron and they told me the loading gate screw is a known issue and sent me four oversized screws.

Why would they ship out firearms with known issues? And why don't they inspect what they sell?

Not really looking for answers to those questions from you guys, just venting.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Zekest Crowe

Spring of this year I purchased a brand new Cimarron 1897 Pump Shotgun for $600 (from a good seller on GB.com. it never worked right and always jammed. Instead of sending it back and risking getting another defective shotgun, I handed it over to a "cowboy gunsmith". He told me it was assembled incorrect, and a "T-Block" was not manufactured correct. It is now working just OK to good.

I would place Cimarron quality right down there with Taurus.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Bob Wright

I have only had experience with one Cimarron revolver, the Model P .44 Special I recently bought. However, I've got two other Uberti revolvers, from Stoeger. All three of these have been excellent quality and well made and finished guns.

I don't know where the final inspection is made, here in the US, or at the factory in Italy.

But certainly any problems need to be brought to the attention of the importer. They have a reputation to protect, and most are willing to take steps to correct problems.

Bob Wright
Old September 27, 2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Newton24b

havent anyone else here worked in a factory? the motto is , functional but slightly "off" product is good when it leaves the factory, it means PROFIT to the company even if a month later an angry customer demands a 12 cent replacement screw to fix the problem
Old September 28, 2012, 03:47 AM   #5
Redhawk5.5+P+

Zekest Crowe

Quote:
Spring of this year I purchased a brand new Cimarron 1897 Pump Shotgun for $600 (from a good seller on GB.com. it never worked right and always jammed. Instead of sending it back and risking getting another defective shotgun, I handed it over to a "cowboy gunsmith". He told me it was assembled incorrect, and a "T-Block" was not manufactured correct. It is now working just OK to good.

I would place Cimarron quality right down there with Taurus.
Your not doing that company any favors to show the error's of there ways online instead of dealing with the direct source.

Now, you come on line, and you dog a company that might want to make thing's right for you, and to there products.

I think a reaction like that is kind of childish.

I feel people like that doesn't do anybody any favor's.

QC should be addressed to the company direct instead of trying to destroy a company and directly compare them to Taurus.

Point? One bad apple can spoil the whole batch.

Who's the bad apple now?
Old September 29, 2012, 08:08 AM   #6
stu925

Quote:
I contacted Cimarron and they told me the loading gate screw is a known issue and sent me four oversized screws.
I think usually in cases like this those guns were built before the problem was identified so now the issue has to be fixed with replacement parts. It probably had already been fixed in new production guns. As for the gouged up gun, I wouldn't have accepted it from the dealer. Dealer should have ordered another gun and sent that one back to the distributor.

Stu
Old September 29, 2012, 11:01 AM   #7
KyJim

Quote:
Why would they ship out firearms with known issues? And why don't they inspect what they sell?
There are lots of firearms that have been made and issues discovered in SOME of them, but not all of them. The remedy is twofold. First, change the design in some way on new production guns. Second, fix the gun if a problem occurs in a particular gun. Only if it is potentially unsafe or there was a serious defect would a manufacturer be compelled to do a recall.
Old October 1, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Iron Man

Update

Update:

The dealer took back both of the problem pistols an ordered two more. Cimarron sent me four larger loading gate screws for each of the four revolvers ordered just in case any of them turned out to have the same loading gate issue.

I get my new one the end of October (that's when I see my favorite gun dealer back in my home town at our local gun show).
Old October 1, 2012, 04:09 PM   #9
g.willikers

Of all the things that can go wrong with a gun, that doesn't sound like enough to cause a bad reputation.
It shouldn't put anyone off the maker.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:40 PM   #10
MJN77

I have twelve Uberti revolvers, five of them Cimarron imported. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I also have two Uberti rifles. Love them as well. I don't just target shoot with them. I use them as everyday "farm" guns.
Old October 2, 2012, 03:40 AM   #11
1911Tuner

Screwy Screwy

Experience with the 1873 SAA and its faithful clones has led me to take a screwdriver along on range trips whenever I plan to shoot more than about 50 rounds so I can go over the gun and cinch the screws down. Most often, it's the ejector rod housing screw that loosens, but any of them can back up from their moorings sooner or later. Just part of the charm of the single-action revolver, and not really a major issue for me.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Iron Man

I was spoiled by my Navy Arms replica of the Remington 1875 New Army revolver in .45 Colt I bought nearly thirty five years ago. It still runs like a top and has had thousands of rounds through it. All my other cowboy guns are modern and most Ruger. Of my fifty or so rifles my Uberti Henry rifle (also in .45 Colt) is by far my favorite.

I'm a professional project manager and we have to test for quality in something every day. I'm used to ensuring we deliver projects and products exactly per the requirements. I was kind of suprised that a known issue was in the market for sale. Especially from someone as good as Uberti. It probably would have surprised me even more if it had been Ruger.

Not the first time poor quality has slipped past a manufactuer. I bought one of the first Smith and Wesson built Walther PPK/S in .380. It had a hammer block recall that was not well published. My pistol went off in my house when I was preparing it for carry. I was in my gun room, put a round into battery, and dropped the decocker to put the pistol into a "safe" mode. The hammer block is supposed to prevent any contact between the hammer and firing pin. The pistol discharged and shot a hole clean through a Smith & Wesson aluminum performance center case. Needless to say, Smith & Wesson traded me any gun I wanted for that one.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Tinner666

"Smith and Wesson built Walther PPK/S in .380. It had a hammer block recall that was not well published. My pistol went off in my house when I was preparing it for carry. I was in my gun room, put a round into battery, and dropped the decocker to put the pistol into a "safe" mode. The hammer block is supposed to prevent any contact between the hammer and firing pin. The pistol discharged and..........."
That's something that has always worried me. Ones that I could put in 'safe' before putting a round into battery, I did, so that that hammer would just follow the bolt home instead of just snapping down.
Old October 19, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
Your not doing that company any favors to show the error's of there ways online instead of dealing with the direct source.
Quote:
I think a reaction like that is kind of childish.
I doubt that the op's "purpose" in starting the thread was to do the company any "favors". But he potentially did do a favor for those who may have a Cimarron revolver with the described defect and might now know how to better address the problem. Instead of being "childish", I think he was being informative and I, for one, applaud him for his efforts.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Zathras

I bought a cimmaron 1873 Model P 7 1/2 inch 45 LC used 2 years ago..I put about 300 rounds through it since then without a hitch..I love the piece.

Z