The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Microstamping and Metallurgy

Yes, we all hate microstamping. Yes, we want it overturned.

Yes, gunsmithing modifications can defeat it.

But... I am interested in the use-and-abuse factor. How many rounds of plain-old-regular use will it take to wear out the serial number on the firing pin? How about the id marks on the breech face or in the chamber?

Will wolf, barnaul, or other steel/aluminum cased ammunition wear it out more quickly?

Are we talking 500 rounds? 2500 rounds? 10K rounds? Or forever?

I mean, c'mon, an extractor (a forged component designed for long rugged use) will only last maybe 5-10K rounds.

How are micro-abrasions on a breechface or pin being repeatedly hit with 10kPSI or more going to last indefinitely?
Old October 16, 2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Don H

Has an actual process been developed and selected for the microstamping requirement?
Old October 20, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3
totalloser

Yeah, in CA it's been in state congress for a couple years now. Join CRPA if you don't like the idea. The stamp will be on the brass, I think. I mean WOULD be on the brass if the legislators didn't have better sense. They do, right?
Old October 20, 2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I think the process was patented about 2001. I would guess, for reasons of wear, that it isn't simply formed into the gun metal, but probably is a small hard insert put into the gun. That's what I would do, anyway, if I had to create such a system. Presumably your standard diamond hone could still spoil it, and maybe enough fouling from not cleaning well would leave it too packed to work? We'll have to see?

I understand a lot of the manufacturers are saying they just won't go along with it and will stop shipping to CA. We'll see how long before law enforcement gets ticked at that, if a special exemption hasn't been made? I read the average gun used in a crime in CA is 13 years old, so we can expect little practical result from the legislation. If many guns with the microstamp are ever around, the smart violent criminals (generally an oxymoron, but there are a few exceptions) will visit their local range periodically and just to collect brass to scatter around their crime scenes.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle