The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 29, 2006, 05:17 AM   #1
Whisper 300

Anyone shot Aguila 60 gr. SSS with a can?

Recently picked up a Gemtech and the info that came with it and the gun shop guy both said not to use the 60 gr. SSS as they may be unstable and destroy the baffles in the can.
Not wanting to piss away the money and trash the suppressor, I faithfully abide by the warning and use Rem. subsonics but I was still curious if anyone outhere has thrown commonsense to the wind and gave those heavy, slow rounds a try.

What is the consensus from those who actually used them?

The reason I even ask is that I can use anything from a 110 gr to 240 gr. in the 30 cal. can and not have a problem and I guess I thought it was kind of odd to have bullet upset so close to the crown of the barrel but I really don't know for sure.

Please don't come back with opinions if you don't have the experience.

Thanks.
Old December 29, 2006, 08:26 AM   #2
VUPDblue

I have shot the SSS out of my P22 and noticed keyholing at 25 feet. I WILL NOT use them in any of my cans for that reason. You also have to bear in mind that even the slightest deviation of the bullet's flight path while inside the can will cause a baffle strike. Bad mojo.
Old December 30, 2006, 02:13 AM   #3
Crosshair

Remember that SSS works best with a 1-9" twist. The more common 1-16" 22LR barrels will not stabilize it very well most of the time. My Marlin 880 SS shoots quite well with SSS out to about 50-75 yards. I was thinking about getting a 223-22LR chamber adapter for my .223 H&R Ultra-Varmint (1-9" twist) so I could shoot this ammo. I am waiting for the ATF to get my Form 4 approved for a TAC-16 suppressor.

If I did get a chamber adapter or a 1-9" barrel for one of my 22LR guns I would consider using SSS through the suppressor if I could determine it was stable enough in the faster twist barrel. Actualy it would be better to use a seperate rimfire suppressor, especialy if it is a sealed design. The lead from the 22LR will build up over time and needs to be removed.
Old May 5, 2007, 08:36 PM   #4
douglasschuckert

SSS Ammo

The SSS ammo is a nifty idea, but in all reality, CCI's Sub Sonic is premier. You will not hear a notable difference between the two. Why use inferior ammo? CCI has yet to produce ammo that is crap. Especially out of a handgun.... I have several .22's that I shoot with my AAC Pilot. I've tried a LOT of different ammo, and although CCI is a little more pricey I would rather use ammo that costs a little more and have the piece of mind that my investments are safe and will last longer than to use crap and risk it.

Take Wolf ammo for instance. Steel cases are bad for your chamber. I cant remember right now why, but I know it will wear out your barrel/chamber a lot faster than copper... You can get copper ammo for slightly more than Steel case. Wolf ammo is also VERY dirty ammo. You will have to clean twice as long and clean out twice as much gunk than using PMC or Seller and Balliot. S&B is actually really cheap and very well made. I've been shooting it for a long time and I've been very happy with it. When all Im doing is ammo dumping, S&B or PMC is my choice.

I would not recommend using Agula ammo AT ALL. Its not good for the gun, can, or the pocket book. Agula ammo is typically more expensive than other brands. For what you get performance wise to what you risk... SSS ammo just isn't worth it. I've shot both from my Pilot and can personally attest that SSS isn't worth it.