The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
jjreich

Old Remington Mod 10

This gun was given to me by a family member but I have no idea of the history. I'd like to have an idea how old it is.

Stamping on it just says "Remington Arms Co, Ilion NY, US -Patten dates Feb03,1903, Mat05,1905. There is no model number so I am assuming it's a model 10. It down ejects, black walnut stock with rounded off receiver. Breakdown is by a latch on the front of the mag then make a 90 degree twist.

Does that sound like a mode 10?

JJ
Old April 15, 2011, 09:15 PM   #2
zippy13

Yep, sounds like a Model 10, Remington's first pump gun manufactured between 1908 and 1929. They were numbered U001 to U275,600.

Image: Remington Arms
Old April 15, 2011, 10:13 PM   #3
jjreich

Thanks Zippy,

I guess mine was an early one. The serial is U60049. Any idea what year that was made?

JJ
Old April 16, 2011, 12:01 AM   #4
zippy13

In 1911 they marked the guns Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co and yours has just Remington Arms Co, I'm guessing 1910 or earlier.

Don't even think about shooting this gun until it's been checked by competent gunsmith. It may have a short chamber.
Old April 16, 2011, 02:06 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

Please take Zippy's advice not to shoot your model 10 until it has been checked by a competent gun smith. Per a quick google, I see where Dave McC opined on antoher forum, regarding the Model 10, "that some, maybe all, were chambered for 2 9/16" shells. Modern ammo is neither safe nor fun to use until a good smith has gone over it."

As Zippy13, I believe, and others elsewhere explained, although a 2-3/4" shell fits into the chamber many if not most require a chamber that is longer than the unfired shell in order that the hull has room to open up upon firing. Please correct me if I have boogered this up, Zippy13 or anyone. (IIRC Zippy first expained this to me when I posted here about a Model 1903 Harrison and Richardson that I had inherited. Fortunately I asked here, before I put some modern 2-3/4" inch magnum 00 buck a guy at a gun store had sold me for it. amn that guy, Zippy13. Since I was stuck with a box of 12 gauge shells, I had no choice but to buy a Remington 870 to shoot them.)
Old April 16, 2011, 03:11 AM   #6
zippy13

Since I was stuck with a box of 12 gauge shells, I had no choice but to buy a Remington 870 to shoot them.
I hear that happens a lot.
Old April 16, 2011, 03:20 PM   #7
jjreich

Model 10 at 100 years old

Thanks guys for the advice. Now to find a good gun smith in Mesa. Any suggestions?

Hey KlawMan, I like your strategy. I'm going to check what extra ammo I have left.

JJ
Old April 16, 2011, 04:00 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

jj, Ii don't even know what strategy is, but its all that rotten Zippy13's fault and the likes of BigJim and oneounceload. You come here and ask a simple question about and old gun. The next thing you know, instead of blowing its barrel out you have a new gun, which in my case was at least an inexpensive Remington 870. But the next thing you are getting hooked on shooting defenseless little clay pigeons and thinking about someting more suitable for killing those poor little birdies. I tell you this is one rotten conspiracy. I already have spent twice as much in range fees and ammo, and I use the cheap stuff, as I did for the basic 870. It just never stops I tell you and I still have that box of 5 shells. Now I have to build a decent gun rack, then its getting a gun safe. Next thing it will be a gross of Girl Scout cookies. I may have to take in some work to support this habit.
Old April 20, 2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Clark

My uncle to be bought a number of shotguns in 1934 to defend his ship from the Seattle dock strike.

My father borrowed a Rem 10 about 60 years ago, and shot 3 pheasants in Ellensburg WA, before all that land got posted.

In 1960 my uncle passed away. In 2005 I bought that Rem 10 for $100 from my aunt just before she passed away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem model 10 12 ga.jpg (53.3 KB, 47 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?