The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

View Poll Results: Which hunting bullet for 44 mag lever action
240gr Nosler JSP 12 48.00%
240gr Swift A-Frame 3 12.00%
265gr Hornady Interlock 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22, 2021, 06:49 PM   #51
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
BTW--we're a bit short on sympathy for "hard to find powders"--because NOTHING is available here in the US!!
Oh I understand my friend. We can get the European powders but if you are used to using US stuff you are out of luck.

We understand from the importers that basically until the panic buying in the US stops / purchasing returns to normal levels, consumers outside the US are getting nothing.

Have a look at Viht powders. N140 is a really useful powder for a lot of things if you are missing Varget.

Scrummy
Old February 22, 2021, 06:50 PM   #52
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
BTW--I just got CVA's 2021 catalog e-mailed and they had a 44 mag hunter single-shot available for just over $200--I snapped one up cause the 444 marlin hunter I have is a superlative shooter and I suspect (hope) this one will be too.

BTW Scrummy--that is a magnificent looking rifle.
Happy shooting my friend and thanks for the compliment. Like a lot of my guns, they look prettier than I do and can outshoot me as well

Scrummy

Last edited by Scrumbag; February 23, 2021 at 04:01 AM.
Old February 22, 2021, 11:51 PM   #53
Pathfinder45

If you can get it, IMR-4227 is a good powder for this application. There is an Australian version of it; I don't recall what they call it, but it's imported into the USA by Hodgdon, and they labeled it H-4227 at first, then IMR-4227.
Old February 23, 2021, 11:44 AM   #54
bamaranger

pics

Just saw the pics of the Chiappa Alaskan, very nice. And, as I noted earlier, they got the twist rate right with the 1-20". I was not aware that their carbine was offered with same. The takedown feature seems appealing as well.

Best of luck with your new carbine.
Old February 23, 2021, 12:34 PM   #55
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
If you can get it, IMR-4227 is a good powder for this application. There is an Australian version of it; I don't recall what they call it, but it's imported into the USA by Hodgdon, and they labeled it H-4227 at first, then IMR-4227.
I have a strong suspicion we can't get that sadly.

Scrummy
Old February 23, 2021, 12:45 PM   #56
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Just saw the pics of the Chiappa Alaskan, very nice. And, as I noted earlier, they got the twist rate right with the 1-20". I was not aware that their carbine was offered with same. The takedown feature seems appealing as well.

Best of luck with your new carbine.
It's a fun little rifle.

Only thing I'm less sure about is the large lever loop. I get it if you are wearing a folded back mitten but that just isn't that likely I'm going to wear one. I'm tempted to look at replacing it with either a classic profile one or maybe one of those "modern hunter" which are a fatter loop but still have a the flat face.

I'm also tempted to put an XS sight at the back of the receiver asirons are fun but with my eyesight unless it's a peep right back by my eye I struggle.

Scrummy

Last edited by Scrumbag; February 24, 2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:57 AM   #57
Shadow9mm

beautiful rifle. That thing will bring game home....
Old February 24, 2021, 11:02 AM   #58
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
beautiful rifle. That thing will bring game home....
Thanks very much. Better do my part.

Scrummy
Old February 24, 2021, 03:46 PM   #59
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
Hi @44caliberkid

That might not be a bad idea though because of hunting regs where I am I need to have a muzzle energy of 1,700 ftlbs and therefore a minimum of MV of 1,786fps with a 240gr bullet. I worry a bit that the XTP and the Sierra JHC being hollow point / cavity might struggle a bit with the impact velocities that leads to.

Scrummy
The 240 XTP works great as a hunting bullet in rifles. I load them with H-110 or 2400 and get 1800 fps (+or - 5 fps) out of Ruger 16 inch carbine. Every deer shot with it has dropped in its tracks when hit in the heart/ lungs, big exit wound with the rifle, but using an 8 inch Raging Bull, I've recovered bullets just under the skin on the exit side that were perfectly mushroomed and 90% still there. I've never had to track a deer shot with an XTP.
Old February 24, 2021, 04:11 PM   #60
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
The 240 XTP works great as a hunting bullet in rifles. I load them with H-110 or 2400 and get 1800 fps (+or - 5 fps) out of Ruger 16 inch carbine. Every deer shot with it has dropped in its tracks when hit in the heart/ lungs, big exit wound with the rifle, but using an 8 inch Raging Bull, I've recovered bullets just under the skin on the exit side that were perfectly mushroomed and 90% still there. I've never had to track a deer shot with an XTP.
That’s good to know, thanks. Would you be kind enough to share load data? PM fine if you prefer and I understand I use at my own risk
Old February 24, 2021, 04:24 PM   #61
44caliberkid

Sure, H-110, using 23.7 to 24.0 grains, but I verify the charge weight carefully and frequently when playing around the maximum charges. Also, 22 grains of Enforcer, if you can get that.
Old February 24, 2021, 05:10 PM   #62
Scrumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Sure, H-110, using 23.7 to 24.0 grains, but I verify the charge weight carefully and frequently when playing around the maximum charges. Also, 22 grains of Enforcer, if you can get that.
Thanks very much.

Yes, we can get Enforcer here. It's made in Belgium apparently.

Scrummy
Old February 24, 2021, 11:32 PM   #63
Nanuk

Quote:
I disagree. For deer any of those would get the job done, no problem. Boar on the other hand are tough. they have a "shield" that covers their vitals. It is similar to scar tissue/heavy leather and can be 1-2in thick. Not just any bullet will do, you need to lean towards a heavy game bullet that will hold together well..

LOL, that 44 mag 240 grn JSP will penetrate plenty. You sound as though you think they have armor plating.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 25, 2021, 09:00 PM   #64
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post

LOL, that 44 mag 240 grn JSP will penetrate plenty. You sound as though you think they have armor plating.
They literally do, its called a shield, and it is 1-2in thick of scar like skin material over their vitals..... Its some tough stuff. When dealing with animals that can be hard to put down, and may attack you... better safe than sorry....
Old February 25, 2021, 11:12 PM   #65
stagpanther

Update, just received an e-mail from BPI saying that they don't have the 44 mag rifle after all, even though it was listed in stock and I already paid for it. They did offer a 444 (which I already have) or a refund, so now I'm waiting on a refund. drat.
Old February 26, 2021, 09:23 PM   #66
Nanuk

Quote:
They literally do, its called a shield, and it is 1-2in thick of scar like skin material over their vitals..... Its some tough stuff. When dealing with animals that can be hard to put down, and may attack you... better safe than sorry....
The 240 grain 44 mag JSP is literally made for penetration. It will penetrate at least 2 feet of flesh and bone, especially from a carbine.
Old February 26, 2021, 09:47 PM   #67
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
The 240 grain 44 mag JSP is literally made for penetration. It will penetrate at least 2 feet of flesh and bone, especially from a carbine.
According to noslers own description. "These bullets were built for extreme accuracy and reliable expansions at broad ranges." You will note that penetration is not listed in the description.

I will grant you it does say it's sporting bullets are good from everything from targets to hogs

Expanding bullets, like soft points, can over expand at high velocity. Such as is sometimes the case using handgun bullets in carbines. Also soft and hollow points you can lose a lot of bullet mass on expansion, especially if your pushing it on the fast side, not to mention core/jacket separation issues. This can greatly reduce penetration.

For me, for hog, a frame hands down.

Also, feel free to link testing or hunting vids of the nosler hitting 24in in gel, or a boar, in the vitals...

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 26, 2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old February 27, 2021, 01:59 PM   #68
Nanuk

Quote:
According to noslers own description. "These bullets were built for extreme accuracy and reliable expansions at broad ranges." You will note that penetration is not listed in the description.

I will grant you it does say it's sporting bullets are good from everything from targets to hogs
I stand corrected.

I was thinking of the older style JSP bullets. I have not loaded any for 40 years so I am sure the styles have changed. For penetrating hunting bullets I have been loading hard cast LSWC since the last box of JSP's I bought in the 1980's.

Just about any bullet from a 44 magnum carbine will work on Hogs, though I would stay away from light JHP's.

Not much boar hunting in the north and there was not much when I lived in Texas 25 years ago.
Old August 10, 2021, 11:11 PM   #69
Scrumbag

Hi folks,

Just as an update, I struggled with H110 to get a good set of groups despite several attempts - don't have any magnum primers (nor available nearby) and getting clean, consistent ignition just wasn't happening with resulting crappy groups. (Interestingly Hornady lists a Large Pistol Primer with H110 and the 240gr JSP - though pretty much every other source I have found lists H110 with Magnum primers)

However, looks like N110 is working.

Shot this as part of a ladder:

4 shots, think top right might have been me. Bit more testing to do with same load but I like it so far.

Scrummy