The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 21, 2023, 05:05 PM   #26
Recycled bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
You might consider the possibility that, if the politicians actually FIXED something, then we wouldn't need them anymore.....
I want to consider incompetence as opposed to malice.

I have to occasionally avoid newspapers, for example anytime there's any election or protest or civil unrest, to maintain a healthy and even stress level about crime and legislative stupidity.

The absolute worst thing one person can do to another is to cause to another, pain and unnecessary death, and it's happening constantly.
Old February 21, 2023, 09:11 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Remember what Mark Twain said about newspapers....
Old February 22, 2023, 03:28 PM   #28
Paul B.

"Enhanced" background checks? What does that mean??"

I think it mean make the background check so stringent that everyone is denied.
Paul B.
Old February 22, 2023, 04:32 PM   #29
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
"Enhanced" background checks? What does that mean??"

I think it mean make the background check so stringent that everyone is denied.
Paul B.
Actually I think it is more of a "only the people on our side are allowed weapons" meaning.
Old February 22, 2023, 08:29 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

There you go, people they PAY to carry guns are allowed, often with far less security checks than an ordinary citizen has to pass.

Sure, there's checks even deep ones in SOME cases, before they get the job, but after that? Is there ANY kind of check done before they are issued a weapon? I private citizen has to undergo a check that takes months (usually) before they can possess a full auto firearm. What does the security agent have to do, stand in line at the arms room....and they hand him one "for the mission".

I held a "Q" clearance for over a decade, to get that there is a detailed "enhanced" background check that goes much further than just checking for "wants and warrants", what are the "enhanced background check" pushers wanting? Damn few, if any of them, know. IT just sounds important and effective.

Are they going to require investigation into your political affiliations? Your associates? Your bank records?? What your ex-wife says about you??

THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE, and so they cannot tell the people who will be expected to run those checks what to do, what to look at, or for, and what to ignore (fwiw I've had actual FBI people doing my clearance checks tell me that while they do talk to your ex, they don't put weight into what they say)

My state passed a law requiring "enhanced" background checks to allow the purchase of "semiautomatic assault rifles" (yes the law made that their legal name ) also requiring a special training class, and access to medical records. In the years since that law passed NO LEO is doing the "enhanced" checks, because the STATE has not provided ANY guidance (or funds) informing them what the checks are to be. Also no special training classes have been set up again because the state has not said what they are to be (and again, no money for them) and FFL dealers are accepting any training class as sufficient to meet the law. And as far as I know, to date, the state has not demanded access to medical (mental health) records, and generally DRs and med professionals are unaware of that requirement of the law.

I expect when the state does get around to demanding them there will be a legal fecal storm of tremendous proportions. I sincerely hope so.

Point here is the people yelling for background checks have put full faith and creedence in a LIE, and most simply refuse to believe they have or see reality for what it actually is.
Old February 22, 2023, 08:40 PM   #31
Recycled bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
There you go, people they PAY to carry guns are allowed, often with far less security checks than an ordinary citizen has to pass.

Sure, there's checks even deep ones in SOME cases, before they get the job, but after that? Is there ANY kind of check done before they are issued a weapon? I private citizen has to undergo a check that takes months (usually) before they can possess a full auto firearm. What does the security agent have to do, stand in line at the arms room....and they hand him one "for the mission".

I held a "Q" clearance for over a decade, to get that there is a detailed "enhanced" background check that goes much further than just checking for "wants and warrants", what are the "enhanced background check" pushers wanting? Damn few, if any of them, know. IT just sounds important and effective.

Are they going to require investigation into your political affiliations? Your associates? Your bank records?? What your ex-wife says about you??

THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE, and so they cannot tell the people who will be expected to run those checks what to do, what to look at, or for, and what to ignore (fwiw I've had actual FBI people doing my clearance checks tell me that while they do talk to your ex, they don't put weight into what they say)

My state passed a law requiring "enhanced" background checks to allow the purchase of "semiautomatic assault rifles" (yes the law made that their legal name ) also requiring a special training class, and access to medical records. In the years since that law passed NO LEO is doing the "enhanced" checks, because the STATE has not provided ANY guidance (or funds) informing them what the checks are to be. Also no special training classes have been set up again because the state has not said what they are to be (and again, no money for them) and FFL dealers are accepting any training class as sufficient to meet the law. And as far as I know, to date, the state has not demanded access to medical (mental health) records, and generally DRs and med professionals are unaware of that requirement of the law.

I expect when the state does get around to demanding them there will be a legal fecal storm of tremendous proportions. I sincerely hope so.

Point here is the people yelling for background checks have put full faith and creedence in a LIE, and most simply refuse to believe they have or see reality for what it actually is.
An honest accounting is seen as oppression for those accustomed to double standards.
Old April 18, 2023, 12:07 PM   #32
Bubba J

Quote:
Your "strawman" sales example is a "strawman". Buying a firearm for someone you know is a prohibited person is an offense.
So what if this person bought a fire arm for someone who IS legally able to own a fire arm but they just don't want to buy from a gun store? (doesn't want to do the paperwork and be on the government's list of people who own guns)

I always heard this was illegal too, unless the person selling the gun had not been asked by the guy buying it to go down to the gun store and buy whatever model he is wanting to buy.

If this was not illegal, it would come in handy cause buying exactly what you are looking for sometimes is not available or cannot be found when only doing FTF purchases

Last edited by Bubba J; April 18, 2023 at 12:14 PM.