The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 1, 2022, 01:02 PM   #76
skywag

I'd shoot'm all with my pre-war M70 30.06

Old September 1, 2022, 05:03 PM   #77
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywag View Post
I'd shoot'm all with my pre-war M70 30.06

Beautiful rifle. I reckon you would.
Old September 1, 2022, 06:54 PM   #78
taylorce1

Beautifully executed .30-06, I like mine a little more utilitarian where I hunt. Mainly because I'm clumsy!

My SS Classic M70 06!

Old September 1, 2022, 08:01 PM   #79
stagpanther

I'm a HUGE fan of the model 70--but what I've never understood is how the Ruger 77 has been completely overshadowed by it--in some respects I view it as a more refined 70. My model 70 in 270 WSM and my model 77 in 35 whelen. If I HAD to choose between the two--as much as I love the model 70--I'd probably take the model 77 in 35 whelen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7640.jpg (202.3 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; September 1, 2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old September 1, 2022, 08:15 PM   #80
ammo.crafter

3 hunting rifles

.222 Remington
.358 Bellm
.444 Marlin
Old September 1, 2022, 10:52 PM   #81
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Beautifully executed .30-06, I like mine a little more utilitarian where I hunt. Mainly because I'm clumsy!

My SS Classic M70 06!

Very nice!
Old September 1, 2022, 10:53 PM   #82
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I'm a HUGE fan of the model 70--but what I've never understood is how the Ruger 77 has been completely overshadowed by it--in some respects I view it as a more refined 70. My model 70 in 270 WSM and my model 77 in 35 whelen. If I HAD to choose between the two--as much as I love the model 70--I'd probably take the model 77 in 35 whelen.

Beautiful rifles.

Agree with the M77.
Old September 1, 2022, 11:00 PM   #83
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo.crafter View Post
.222 Remington
.358 Bellm
.444 Marlin
Extremely interesting choices.

.358 Bellm, never even heard of it.
Old September 1, 2022, 11:50 PM   #84
stagpanther

Quote:
Beautiful rifles.

Agree with the M77.
Thanks--they are a couple of my "sweetheart" rifles.
Old September 2, 2022, 07:05 AM   #85
Jack O'Conner

22 MAG

- Jack
Old September 2, 2022, 01:03 PM   #86
gwpercle

I'll play ... 3 bolt actions ... hunting rifles
I am a reloader and bullet caster so I can tailor loads .

1.) 22 LR - a nice 22 LR is almost a necessity of life , a lot of small game can be hunted and truth be told the 22LR has taken a lot of deer and beast up to alligator .
Mine is a Ruger 10/22 but a Ruger Bolt Action 22 LR would be fine

2.) 7 X 57 Mauser - Custom sporter built on a small ring mauser action ...
I already own this one and reload and cast bullets for it too .

3.) 30-06 - Custom built sporter on a 1903-A3 Springfield Action ... I already own
this one ... if I can't take it with a 220 gr. load then I don't need to hunt it .
A 30-06 is never a bad choice ... I reload and cast bullets for this one also !

These are mine ,
Gary
Old September 2, 2022, 04:54 PM   #87
hooligan1

1. 6.5x55 swede for anything.
2. .270 win for anything...
3. 7 mm rem mag for bigger anythings..
Old September 2, 2022, 09:10 PM   #88
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'Conner View Post
22 MAG

- Jack
Good choices Jack.
Old September 2, 2022, 09:12 PM   #89
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
1. 6.5x55 swede for anything.
2. .270 win for anything...
3. 7 mm rem mag for bigger anythings..
I have been toying with the 7mm Rem Mag. With a brake I hear it has less recoil than a 270 w/o a brake.
Old September 3, 2022, 09:30 AM   #90
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret
I have been toying with the 7mm Rem Mag. With a brake I hear it has less recoil than a 270 w/o a brake.
Not much difference between recoil of the .270 and 7mm Rem to begin with shooting the same bullet weights. A brake should significantly lower recoil down to that of a 7mm Rem Mag well below the levels of a .270 Win. However, you then have the noise issues of dealing with a brake.
Old September 3, 2022, 10:34 AM   #91
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Not much difference between recoil of the .270 and 7mm Rem to begin with shooting the same bullet weights. A brake should significantly lower recoil down to that of a 7mm Rem Mag well below the levels of a .270 Win. However, you then have the noise issues of dealing with a brake.
I have brakes on everything. I have a torn up right shoulder and a titanium rod in my neck, so recoil really does hurt. 270 without a brake is about all I can handle.
Old September 3, 2022, 10:57 AM   #92
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Only Three Bolt-gun Hunting Calibers - Which Ones?
If you could have three bolt action rifles for hunting in different calibers...small, medium, heavy...small as Coues deer and antelope up to moose, what would they be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'Conner View Post
22 MAG

- Jack
Good choices Jack.
I don't see where the .22 Mag (or the .2LR) is a good choice that answers the OP's question. Not saying the .22 Mag won't work on Coues Deer (which often are about the size of a mediumlarge dog, but where is the Rimfire LEGAL to use to hunt deer?

We're talking sport hunting, and if its not legal to use, its not a good choice.
Old September 3, 2022, 11:14 AM   #93
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I don't see where the .22 Mag (or the .2LR) is a good choice that answers the OP's question. Not saying the .22 Mag won't work on Coues Deer (which often are about the size of a mediumlarge dog, but where is the Rimfire LEGAL to use to hunt deer?

We're talking sport hunting, and if its not legal to use, its not a good choice.
I see your point. 22 Mag is a little small for the game I was mentioning, but another fellow said 22LR has taken everything. I am sure, but neither would be on my list. My comment on good choices, for me, is the lower recoil stuff. 243 and 308.

I think 22-250 would be about as low as I would go. Maybe for antelope. I did get some .223 Federal 62 grain Fusion with the thought of maybe using those on deer. Still on the fence about that.

Still, all that being said, if I could only have 3 calibers, 243 or 6.5 Grendel is about as low as I would go.

The one caliber I have that would not change is in the middle, to maybe upper. 308. Cheap and available ammo and can load up to 180 grain.

I have 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CR, 308, 30-30 and 270. Multiple rifles in each. For the sake of simplifying and downsizing, I am having a hard time. I think the 30-30 could go. Got it just because lever rifles are cool.

I amassed quite a few guns, all with the thought that they would go to my son. He passed last year and due to health problems, my hunting days are numbered. Would just like to have a few nice rifles that can do most of what you can do in North America over the next few years. Also, with the thought of not being able to handle heavy recoil.

Appreciate everyone playing. This was not a post for just stirring the pot, but to help me in getting down to a few rifles I will use. Only one that cannot go is the 6.5 CR Savage 111 my son shot his last deer with. I may have to be buried with that one.

Last edited by USAF Ret; September 3, 2022 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old September 3, 2022, 05:20 PM   #94
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
308. Cheap and available ammo and can load up to 180 grain.
You can load any .30 caliber bullet there is in a .308 Winchester. That includes the 200,and 220s, or even heavier, you just need to make allowances for them.

What you can't do is drive a 220gr slug as fast as you can with a larger capacity case like the 06 or the .300 magnums.

with a 220gr in a .308 you can essentially duplicate the .30-40 krag in a modern short action rifle. And the Krag has killed dead everything that walks in North America, including record size grizzly bear.

Don't know what idiot came up with the idea that you can't use 220s in a .308, but its BS. 180s will do anything most people need done, but you absolutely can use 220s if you want to, and they WILL WORK.
Old September 3, 2022, 05:38 PM   #95
USAF Ret

Quote:
You can load any .30 caliber bullet there is in a .308 Winchester. That includes the 200,and 220s, or even heavier, you just need to make allowances for them.

What you can't do is drive a 220gr slug as fast as you can with a larger capacity case like the 06 or the .300 magnums.

with a 220gr in a .308 you can essentially duplicate the .30-40 krag in a modern short action rifle. And the Krag has killed dead everything that walks in North America, including record size grizzly bear.

Don't know what idiot came up with the idea that you can't use 220s in a .308, but its BS. 180s will do anything most people need done, but you absolutely can use 220s if you want to, and they WILL WORK.
Great points. No doubt, if I could only have one hunting caliber, it would be 308.
Old September 4, 2022, 08:41 AM   #96
Hawg

30-30
30-06
8x57
Old September 4, 2022, 03:47 PM   #97
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret
I have a torn up right shoulder and a titanium rod in my neck, so recoil really does hurt. 270 without a brake is about all I can handle.
USAF Ret is offline Report Post
I wasn't aware of your limitations. My point was the 7mm Rem Mag is only about 100 FPS faster than a .270 Win with the same grain bullets. There is definitely more to recoil than speed, but if most things are equal they should recoil very similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
I'd agree with a caveat, not all 220 grain bullets are created equal. A .308 will definitely handle 220 grain RN and FB/BT spitzer bullets, but it might struggle with VLD style bullets over 210 grains if you have an 1:11 or slower twist in a .308 Win. If you have a 1:10 twist or faster you can usually get away with the VLD bullets, though you might run into COAL issues.
Old September 5, 2022, 03:12 PM   #98
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A .308 will definitely handle 220 grain RN and FB/BT spitzer bullets, but it might struggle with VLD style bullets over 210 grains if you have an 1:11 or slower twist in a .308 Win. If you have a 1:10 twist or faster you can usually get away with the VLD bullets, though you might run into COAL issues.
Something to consider, a rifle built for the general average range of ammo common might be viewed as suboptimal when using specialty bullets with something other than the common length and weight.

COAL issues even with very long bullets are not an issue other than you might not be able to get what you WANT.

What I mean is, a very long bullet must still be seated to the 2.800" standard, or a bit more, if your specific rifle will allow it. If this results in more of the bullet protruding into the powder space than you would LIKE, (and even if you need to adjust your powder charge for that) its not an issue with the ammo, its an issue with getting what you'd like vs. what you can have.

This is the whole point with people saying "you can't use 220s in a .308" or something similar. Since those folks can't get 220s to go as fast as they want them to go from a .308, they claim you "can't use them" and that is patently FALSE.

There's no free lunch.

That doesn't mean there's no food, or that you can get what you WANT, it just means that whatever it is that you do get comes at some kind of cost.

I have some short action Remingtons, book says they're 1-10" twist. I have a Browning BLR, book say that one is 1-12". I have an M1A, Wiki says its 1-12" (standard GI barrel).

My loads have to fit and feed from the magazine, so I don't load "long", or use vld type bullets. Have 220 RNs I've loaded for the Krag, I'm certain I could find an adequate load for them in the .308, if I had the desire and a practical use for them. They might not shoot the smallest groups from a 1-12" but if they shot minute of big game, that would be good enough for my use.
Old September 6, 2022, 02:05 PM   #99
USAF Ret

Quote:
Something to consider, a rifle built for the general average range of ammo common might be viewed as suboptimal when using specialty bullets with something other than the common length and weight.

COAL issues even with very long bullets are not an issue other than you might not be able to get what you WANT.

What I mean is, a very long bullet must still be seated to the 2.800" standard, or a bit more, if your specific rifle will allow it. If this results in more of the bullet protruding into the powder space than you would LIKE, (and even if you need to adjust your powder charge for that) its not an issue with the ammo, its an issue with getting what you'd like vs. what you can have.

This is the whole point with people saying "you can't use 220s in a .308" or something similar. Since those folks can't get 220s to go as fast as they want them to go from a .308, they claim you "can't use them" and that is patently FALSE.

There's no free lunch.

That doesn't mean there's no food, or that you can get what you WANT, it just means that whatever it is that you do get comes at some kind of cost.

I have some short action Remingtons, book says they're 1-10" twist. I have a Browning BLR, book say that one is 1-12". I have an M1A, Wiki says its 1-12" (standard GI barrel).

My loads have to fit and feed from the magazine, so I don't load "long", or use vld type bullets. Have 220 RNs I've loaded for the Krag, I'm certain I could find an adequate load for them in the .308, if I had the desire and a practical use for them. They might not shoot the smallest groups from a 1-12" but if they shot minute of big game, that would be good enough for my use.
Good info. No free lunch. I like that. Heavier bullet, loss in velocity but more energy at shorter yardages.

That will be the fun when I start reloading. What is the art of the possible taking all things into consideration.

Building up my equipment and components. Saving my brass. Just need to set up my work station.
Old September 6, 2022, 10:59 PM   #100
Pathfinder45

The Ruger 7722 in the laminated Varmint version closely matches the the feel and functionality of not only the Ruger 77, but also corresponds nicely with the model 70 Winchester. So, yes, I think the 22LR belongs in the mix, not as ideal for the game animals mentioned, but as an ideal practice rifle with unbeatable ammo economics. Get the one that most closely matches your favorite center-fire.