The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 14, 2020, 06:17 PM   #26
rc

Also too long to convert typical frames in use to use it. Even a 1911 grip is too short to handle that round. So we is it not more popular? Who wants to design a gun just for that round? Uh, CZ 52........Tokarev...
Old December 14, 2020, 11:54 PM   #27
doofus47

I loved my Tokarev.
It was my first outdoor carry pistol and I will always remember it fondly.

That said, I think that the round fell into favor in the USSR b/c it was used in both the pistol and the ppsh-41 which was a widely distributed weapon. Logistics was easy.

When WW2 ended and the Soviets were moving to intermediate cartridges, they settled on the 7.62x.39 SKS which was immediately replaced by the AK47. When they had the AK, they didn't need the inferior PPsh41 and the round that went with it. I think that the pistol was retired at almost the same time in favor of the Makarov.

No one in the West adopted it for the same reason that we've not adopted whatever the current Chinese intermediate round is. It might be great, but it also might not be. Comparatively we all know someone who has fired 9mm or 45 ACP or 5.56 NATO and we can do other research on our own as well; there's less mystery.
Old December 15, 2020, 11:08 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"whatever the current Chinese intermediate round is."

5.8x42mm

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 15, 2020, 11:27 AM   #29
Jim Watson

Has anybody got a Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev derivative?
It has a properly located thumb safety, not just a lever scabbed on any old where to get US import points.
Carve out a set of Tokagypt style grips (They would have to be made to fit, the M57 has a longer butt than a TT33.) and it would be as "modern" as necessary.

As for rifles, the .30-06 is by current standards a medium machine gun round squeezed into infantry rifles. Our military leaders are planning on repeating that logic with a new super duper 6.8mm high velocity round originally specified for a SAW, the rifle added on the bandwagon.

But if you go back a century, everybody did that.
It wasn't long before nearly everybody realized it wasn't necessary to put up with the weight and recoil in a rifle. There was a lot of study given to "intermediate" rounds. Interestingly enough, a lot of them shot 7mm bullets.
I suspect the Germans and Soviets went 8mm and 7.62 just for the small savings in barrel tooling for otherwise all new guns.

We rattled along with full power rifles, the .308 being a .30-06 equivalent with Ball powder; until the .223/5.56 came along. There must be SOMETHING to it, the USSR and PRC liked what they saw and bought small bore.

Last edited by Jim Watson; December 15, 2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old December 16, 2020, 12:41 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
There must be SOMETHING to it, the USSR and PRC liked what they saw and bought small bore.
Yup, I've chuckled about that more than once. The 5.56 was so miserably ineffective that the armies we were using it against promptly copied it.
Old December 16, 2020, 01:42 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The 5.56 was so miserably ineffective that the armies we were using it against promptly copied it
And yet the 5.56 is so miserably ineffective that most states won't let you hunt deer with it.

What is so often overlooked (or perhaps avoided?) in discussions about military effectiveness of the small bore rounds and how the roughly .30 caliber rounds used in WWII are now too big, too heavy, and so inefficient for modern combat, is the historical perspective of why we used what we did, and why what we use now "works better".

And, part of that is the technology of the firearms themselves. In the beginning, one shot was all you got. So that one shot damn well better be effective in terms of bullet size, weight, and energy.

This was the rule for literally a few hundred years. That creates a pretty sound institutional memory. By the mid 1800s, you get practical repeaters, but still only one shot at a time. By WWII, we see personal automatic weapons and that tilts the balance the other way, for military use.

Because troops are firing full auto, lighter rounds are better, better for recoil control, better for ammo capacity /weight, and because you are firing in bursts and full auto each individual round doesn't need the power the older larger rounds have, to still be effective for military purposes.

And, that's the other key thing. The military requires the enemy be taken out of the fight. HOW that is done, either by a single round or a burst doesn't matter a lot, as long as the job gets done.

It's a very different situation than sport hunting where the object is to humanely dispatch an animal, with a single round (if possible). Which is a big reason why sport hunting laws seldom allow the use of light caliber rounds for big game.

Getting back on track,

Why did the 7.62 Tokarev "fall out of favor"??

Same reason most military rounds do. The owner government & military decide something else will do the job just as well, if not better.

Frequently this has to do with the design of the weapons the round is used in, more than the capabilities of the round itself.

Better, newer designs of firearms using a newer cartridge supplant the older models is the usual rule.

some designs are literally dead ends. Good enough at what they do, but unable to be improved or modified enough to meet changing requirements over time. Some designs meet their required needs well enough to be virtually unchanged for decades or more. Even when "better" designs are available, some of the old ones continue to soldier on, either because they are still good enough, or, sometimes due to sheer bureaucratic inertia until their shortcomings are too obvious to ignore.
Old December 16, 2020, 01:38 PM   #32
simonrichter

Quote:
When they had the AK, they didn't need the inferior PPsh41 and the round that went with it. I think that the pistol was retired at almost the same time in favor of the Makarov
that totally makes sense, could have figured myself
Old December 17, 2020, 09:01 AM   #33
Richard b

Was the Tokarov round really any more effective than the 9mm Parabellum?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old December 17, 2020, 12:45 PM   #34
ballardw

Higher velocity, effectiveness might depend on your definition or particular use.

Remember that when designed and in common use the 7.62x25 is all FMJ as was 9MM when contemporary.

Choice of projectile diameter could well be related to the prior 7.62 Nagant revolvers and commonality with rifle bore (roughly). I seem to recall a story that some of the PPS-42/43 SMG were made during the seige of Leningrad by in part turning 1 rifle barrel into 3 SMG barrels.
Old December 17, 2020, 05:27 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

What user nation's armies consider effective and what you or I might consider effective for sporting or defense purposes is radically different.

Why doesn't anyone seem to remember that??

Small bore high velocity projectiles are militarily effective, particularly when used with high volume firepower.

Anything works when you're shooting people in the back of the neck to motivate others. Lots of things work well enough in SMG, and when yours has over twice the magazine capacity of the other guys, troops tend to like that...

Luger first offered the German military the .30 Luger. They thought the bullet too small. SO he opened the case up to 9mm and they accepted that.

The military point of view on cartridge "effectiveness" is generally "works well enough that our guys can beat their guys" and seldom goes beyond that.

In our capitalist system there's a lot of talk about this being better than that, this being more effective or more efficient, etc., but remember those guys are selling their product. And its the military of a democratic republic that is buying it. The Soviet system didn't work that way.
Old December 17, 2020, 06:25 PM   #36
Jim Watson

The 7.62 Tokarev is a development of the 7.62 Mauser, already popular in Russia.

The 9mm Parabellum was first adopted by the German Navy. Before air power, the navies were the tech leaders of most militaries.

But the Swiss, Portuguese, and Finns thought 7.65 was enough. And the US Army thought it interesting enough to buy a thousand pistols.
Old December 17, 2020, 09:41 PM   #37
jimbob86

Quote:
I wouldn't call Russian handguns horrible, just crude and functional.
I've a Romanian TT-33 made in the 1950's .... fit and finish on that gun is better than a lot of new guns made right here in America that I see on the shelves today. You don't see bluing that deep blue except on vintage Colts ..... the only thing "crude" about it is the safety scabbed into it by the importer.
Old December 17, 2020, 10:20 PM   #38
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard b View Post

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The Tok has higher velocities and more energy than 9mm does and retains that advantage out to 50 yards and likely much more. It's obviously a lighter bullet using a bottleneck case to achieve that and the advantages of using a bottleneck ammunition are well documented, so for a military perspective where you are limited to non-expanding ammunition, on sheer ballistics, the 7.62x25 has an advantage over 9mm.

Where it doesn't is end user satisfaction as the cartridge longer, thus the pistol's grip must be longer, which means if a doublestack were desired only those with the largest of hands would be able to shoot it comfortably.

It's a question of reliability and firepower vs form and function. A military needs guns that fit a broad spectrum of use for ease of training soldiers and logistics, they can't be having dozens of pistols in service outside of the most specialized needs. For a submachine gun tho, there is absolutely nothing that the 9mm has that makes it superior to what a properly designed 7.62x25 ammunition can do other than be the same ammunition used in service pistols.
Old January 6, 2021, 06:12 PM   #39
Reloadron

Why did 7.62 x 25 Tokarev round fall out of favor?

During the early to mid 90s the Czechoslovakian Vz 52 pistols poured into the US by the tens of thousands along with the Chinese made Russian Tokarev guns. The Czech guns were pretty cool and everything pouring in was inexpensive. While the brass could be made several ways like reforming 9mm Win Mag cases the 7.62 X 25 brass was available from Starline I think I still have a few hundred cases. Using the Czech guns velocities of 1400 and 1500 FPS were easily loaded for using .312 90 and 71 grain FMJ bullets. The Tokarev guns needed to be loaded down and were said to be not as strong as the Czech design.

It was that pistol I managed to shoot one of my chronograph sky screens with when I was trying to see what velocities I could get. Fortunately I did not hit one of the sensors. With all those pistols I really should have hung on to at least one of them but never did.

Nice thing about bottle neck pistol rounds is you can push a light bullet to some pretty high velocities and the 7.62 Tokarev round is a good example from days gone by. Not sure where all of the guns that poured in are today. You got the Czech gun, a holster and one magazine for something like $69 USD if I recall correctly. The Chinese made Russian Tokarev guns were about the same price.

The only other bottleneck pistol round I flirted with was the 38-45 Clerke which went by a few other names. A .45 ACP was necked down to .357 diameter. Used a 1911 frame and a .38 Super barrel. The barrel was reamed to take the .45 modified case. Matter of fact you could buy the barrels pretty much ready to drop in. I still have an old set of RCBS loading dies for those. The round if I recall correctly came out around mid 60s.

The .40 S&W was a child of the 10mm and amounted to a 10mm short. Sig just necked down the .40 to take a .357bullet.

Anyway all of that aside there should be plenty of 7.62 Tokarev guns floating around out there. Someday I should sit down and count exactly how much brass I have and sell it to someone who wants it.

Ron
Old January 6, 2021, 09:40 PM   #40
Nodak1858

TT33 are able to take higher pressures than the CZ52. The roller design is strong, but the barrel has a thin portion that will fail before the Tokarev will. Clark did a ton of testing of both guns and blew up many. In his tests the Tokarev held together better than the CZ. Both are nice guns but for strength the TT33 is tops.
Old January 7, 2021, 12:22 AM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
What user nation's armies consider effective and what you or I might consider effective for sporting or defense purposes is radically different.

Why doesn't anyone seem to remember that??
Hmmm....

What one person considers ineffective another person might consider to be perfectly effective--and both of them could have good evidence and experience to support their positions even though their positions are radically different.

Why does that seem to be such a difficult concept??
Quote:
Hard to find a lot of information on the Tok's real-world performance.

There has been some written on the 30 Mauser/7.63 Mauser's effectiveness. Supposedly when it hit a rib or other bone, the results were impressive. The bone was turned into secondary fragments which wreaked havoc in the chest cavity. When no bone was hit, it made small holes like pistol bullets tend to do and results were variable depending on exactly where the small hole was.
Quote:
TT33 are able to take higher pressures than the CZ52. The roller design is strong, but the barrel has a thin portion that will fail before the Tokarev will. Clark did a ton of testing of both guns and blew up many. In his tests the Tokarev held together better than the CZ. Both are nice guns but for strength the TT33 is tops.
If you're trying to blow up a gun, you will succeed in blowing up the CZ-52 before you blow up the TT33.

If you're trying to shoot hot loads in both guns (staying under the yield pressure of the chambers) to see which one will shoot loose the fastest, the TT33 will probably give up first.
Old January 7, 2021, 12:34 PM   #42
gwpercle

In the USA bottle-neck handgun cartridges just seem to come with a lot of Hoopla and then fade away into the sunset . Remember the 22 Jet... no it faded away quickly too .
People just seem to keep going back to big bores and straight sided cases ...notice how the 45 Colt , 44 Special and even the 38 special are still kicking around ... all of those are older than dirt !
Gary
Old January 7, 2021, 01:55 PM   #43
Nodak1858

Quote:
If you're trying to shoot hot loads in both guns (staying under the yield pressure of the chambers) to see which one will shoot loose the fastest, the TT33 will probably give up first.
While I don't have a CZ, I have shot a ton of ammo through my Toks. I have hand loaded hot rounds and shot a tins of the deadly "pink wrapper" ammo from Bulgaria. Zero issues and no apparent wear on the guns. CZ have issues with the rollers getting flat spots and after that they cease to slide and wear on the slide. I know companies have made rollers from better materials, along with firing pins, but these are non issues with the Tokarevs. I have seen more than one kaboom and stress crack pics of the CZ52s , but have not seen one of a TT33.

And I admit I'm a CZ fan, have 50s, 75s, 82s but feel they missed the mark on the 52

Last edited by Nodak1858; January 7, 2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old January 7, 2021, 02:53 PM   #44
SIGSHR

The 22 Jet failed in the S&W M-53 because high pressure bottleneck cartridges are unsuitable for revolvers, too much problem with case setback. The 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 operate at much lower pressures and have made a comeback thanks to CAS/SASS.
The 5.56 is totally unsuited for deer hunting because a hunting round should make a clean one shot humane kill. However military doctrine is simply to inflict a casualty, take an enemy out of the fight.
Old January 7, 2021, 04:00 PM   #45
seanc

Quote:
Adopting one of their ALLIES cartridges was hard for NATO to swallow, but they did. One thing you absolutely do not do is adopt the cartridge of your (former) enemy. No matter how well it works, you just don't do that, if you want to keep your job.

Its a matter of pride, for one thing. And prestige. Even if there's nothing made on your side that meets the requirements and the (former) enemy has something that does, you still don't adopt it. EVER.
Except those sneaky Finns!
Old January 7, 2021, 05:32 PM   #46
amd6547

My first Tokarev was a Chinese made Vietnam bring back.
It looked like it was found at the bottom of a rice paddy...very pitted and with a crusty bore...
It shot great!
Currently, I have a Romanian Tok, and it is a great pistol. I used to have a CZ52, a pistol I had wanted since I saw it in a book when I was a kid...I found the CZ very disappointing.
The Tok is my car pistol, right now.
Old January 7, 2021, 06:02 PM   #47
zeke

Have several and actually like the round. Hdy does/did make 2 good bullets for it. 90 xtp and 86 grain rnsp. Impressive ballistics, but throws the brass all over and got too old trying to find it. While the Toks/Cz's are nice pistols, would prefer a more modern design with better sights.
Old January 7, 2021, 06:07 PM   #48
105kw

The Finns adopted Russian stuff, because they were part of the Russian Empire.
They broke off to become independent during WW1.
Old January 7, 2021, 06:11 PM   #49
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 105kw View Post
The Finns adopted Russian stuff, because they were part of the Russian Empire.
They broke off to become independent during WW1.

I think you’re glossing over them adopting Russian equipment as a function of them fighting the Soviets in the Winter War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2021, 08:45 PM   #50
amd6547

I like the sights on the Tokarev just fine. Last time out at my rifle club, I was ringing the 10” round steel plate at 80yds with the flat shooting 7.62x25. For such a compact, slim pistol, it can really reach out.