The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 7, 2020, 09:30 AM   #26
CDR_Glock

I have a Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum, 1994 Custom Shop and Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum. The Custom is on par with a S&W.

The Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum is excellent. The finish is not as refined, but the action and accuracy is as good as any other revolver.

I have 7 Taurus revolvers. No issues for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 7, 2020, 10:10 AM   #27
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I have a Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum, 1994 Custom Shop and Taurus 605 5 Shot 357 Magnum. The Custom is on par with a S&W.
What changes from stock did the Taurus Custom Shop do?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 8, 2020, 04:51 AM   #28
3 gun

Had a rock solid 605 that was a daily carry gun for a bit more than 5 years. Added CT grips and usually loaded it with 38spl Nyclad rounds. It was a bit of a handfull with any 357 load with more than a 125 bullet; and no one was going to call 125's fun to shoot. Still I did carry with 357 loads when out in the woods where trouble might have 4 legs instead of 2. Had more than 3k rds of 38spl & 250 of 357 thru the gun when I sold it. Still looking like new and shooting good. Life changes & you adapt. I wouldn't think twice about getting another if the need came round
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old August 15, 2020, 01:38 PM   #29
Forte S+W

My mother owns a Taurus 605 which I picked out for her when she asked me to find her a powerful, inexpensive yet reliable Revolver that she could carry while she walked her dogs. There bad been sightings of wild animals in the area including a personal sighting of a hog in the neighbor's field one night, so I took her request seriously when she said she wanted something powerful, and I had good experiences with Taurus in the past.

We went out to the range together after she picked it up at her LGS, and I fired it for hsr first because she was scared of the recoil after I warned her that .357 Magnum out of such a small gun was going to kick a heck of a lot more than the .380 ACP she was used to. It certainly had some stout recoil, but it proved perfectly reliable, and she managed to shoot a couple cylinders full before calling it quits.

The only recommendation I would make is to get it in Stainless Steel, as the black oxide finish Taurus is using on their carbon steel guns wears off absurdly easily and doesn't resist corrosion well at all.
Old August 17, 2020, 05:22 PM   #30
PocketCamera

got me a modello 66, 7 shot. Love mine. its addictive to use. Shoots well. Only complaint i have is the forcing cone is a tad "not right" and sucks up lead like "Norm" sucked up beer at a bar called Cheers.

Other wise simply do a function check and check the screws.
Old January 12, 2021, 03:52 AM   #31
Pond, James Pond

Yesterday I handled a 3" blued 605, .357Mag.

The weigh was nice, the barrel length exactly as I'd like it, the grip was comfortable.

It was a 5-shot with a gutter sight along the top strap.

It pointed well. DA was a bit heavy and rough. SA was pretty clean.

I would certainly hope that the DA would smooth out with time.

So the questions for me would be:

Could I live with a 5-shot?
Well, yes. I think so. If I carry, I'm already better prepared for any unpleasantness, and I feel I at least have last resorts to protect my kids, partner and myself.

So far I've never had any problems and I certainly don't go looking for it.

Would I prefer 3"?

Yes. I can still carry this comfortably.

Would I prefer .357?

Yes. I have more versatility in chamberings, it doubles as a decent woods gun and it is unlikely to shake itself to pieces if I use it with .38Spl in IDPA. In IPSC, I think the 5-shot capacity would be just too limiting.

Am I concerned by Taurus QC?

A bit. This is the one aspect that is a gamble. Would I be one of the many satisfied owners who've had zero problems, or would I be one of the unlucky ones? Over here, getting that fixed would not be a straightforward issue. One could say that this is always a risk, but generally it seems that the incidence of problems is higher with Taurus than with Ruger or S&W.

As neither Ruger nor S&W are readily available here, it's basically the 605 or stick to my .38 snub.
Old January 12, 2021, 08:04 AM   #32
Targa

The 605 has a very good reputation, if that was what I was in the market for I would buy it with confidence. I enjoyed everything about the one I shot but I didn’t shoot anything over +p ammo.
Post a pic if you get it.
Old January 12, 2021, 08:26 AM   #33
Pond, James Pond

A pic for sure but, if I do take the plunge, I don't think it will be soon.

I'd first need to sell one gun: probably my snub, get the acquisition permit and all the money needed to buy both the permit and the gun! Such is life.

As for ammo, I think I'd either be loading lighter mags or regular .38Spl.

Store-bought stuff would be Fiocchi, Magtech, or S&B etc 158gr (or is that just .38?) or 125gr. Any regular shooting would be the IDPA and the range. And over the counter .357 is not cheap.
Old January 12, 2021, 01:08 PM   #34
Jim Watson

IDPA Rev-S power factor is 105. My midrange wadcutters are 107 so I can Load and Make Ready with them and speed reload with mild roundnose.

No need for even Minor (f 125) ammunition and certainly not any form of Magnum.
Shorter Special cases load and eject better, too.
Old January 12, 2021, 01:40 PM   #35
DaleA

Quote:
if I do take the plunge, I don't think it will be soon. I'd first need to sell one gun...
Everytime you post about your conditions over there I gnash my teeth in sympathic frustration and remind myself if we are not vigilante we could be facing the same "conditions" here.

In a panel discussion pro-gun person Colin Noir tried to make the point that owning a lot of guns does NOT make a person more dangerous, "he can only shoot one or two of them at a time," said Colin Noir. His comment was ignored by the rest of the panel.

OBVIOUSLY if a person with ONE gun could shoot X number of people then a person with TEN guns could shoot TEN TIMES AS MANY PEOPLE!!! (And of course would be much more likely to do so because, you know, GUNS!!!)

Good luck.
Old January 12, 2021, 03:01 PM   #36
Pond, James Pond

I think many just get blinded by the concept of someone own more than one of something they fear.

In that situation better to ask a question than make a statement. Harder to ignore.
“If I have 10 cars, how many can I drive at once?”
“Does having 10 cars make me more likely to speed or drive dangerously?”

If they answer yes to the second, then we ask why?
And there the argument falls flat as there’s no logical reason for it to be the case.

The best we can say is “depends”.

As for the restrictions, they’re frustrating at times but overall I’m ok with them.
The reality is I get to shoot for fun and sport, and hopefully this year, perhaps for food too.
Old January 12, 2021, 05:39 PM   #37
wild cat mccane

I've loved the triggers on my many Tauri. 605, 608, LOTS of 66s, and one beautiful 689... Extremely close to my 686s. Single action is no different at all.

That said, I've sent 4 brand new 2019-2020 66s back straight out of the box for cylinder binding. One came back with the old extractor rod cut in half...weird...

Even with a Wilson Combat spring upgrade in my GP100, I don't like the Ruger GP100 trigger.

Meh
Old January 12, 2021, 11:21 PM   #38
Warhammer

I bought a 605 back about 13 years ago. It was a good little gun, but I carried my autos more. One day my Dad mentioned that he was in the market for a small carry revolver, so I just gave him the 605. I wasn't using it much and he wanted one, so I worked out well. Even so, there were times that I missed the little .357 hand cannon. Fast forward to 2019, and Dad was thinning out his gun collection. So for Father's Day, he gave me the 605! I'm just tickled to have it back!

Long ago, I ditched the original rubber grips for some really pretty Altamont wood grips. They felt soooo nice in the hand... until I fired it. They were OK with .38spl, but pretty awful with .357 mag. Also, they interfered with speed loaders. That's part of why I rarely carried it. I used to carry a couple of Speed Strips, but they really aren't all that speedy.

I came across a set of Pachmayer G10 grips on Amazon that they were selling as "guaranteed refurbished" for $40, so I gave them a try. They fill the hand a bit more than the wood grips, but aren't too big. They look pretty cool, IMO. More importantly, they feel great when shooting! I can actually fire a whole box of .357 at the range without hurting. Plus, the top of the left side is rebated enough for speed loaders to work.

Last edited by Warhammer; January 12, 2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 13, 2021, 12:22 AM   #39
Radny97

Taurus 605/627 .357 Mag: first hand experiences only, please

Which Astra do you have? I own both Taurus and Astra and the Astra is a better quality gun. But if you have an Astra 960 or a Police, those are pretty large framed guns that are harder to conceal. The NC-6 is essentially a model 10 but on a jframe size. How they ever fit a six round cylinder onto that frame I’ll never know, but it is excellent. Im guessing you have the Cadix which should be much easier to conceal. Since you appendix carry it really comes down to the grip size. If you are comfortable with the Taurus grip sizes available, I’d go for it.
(I’m assuming you don’t have a quota for how many handguns you can own, like some European countries do. However, if this Taurus is taking up a slot in your quota, then it’s a whole different calculation. Is probably stick with the Astra in that case.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Radny97; January 13, 2021 at 12:29 AM.
Old January 13, 2021, 02:41 AM   #40
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Which Astra do you have? I own both Taurus and Astra and the Astra is a better quality gun. But if you have an Astra 960 or a Police, those are pretty large framed guns that are harder to conceal. The NC-6 is essentially a model 10 but on a jframe size. How they ever fit a six round cylinder onto that frame I’ll never know, but it is excellent. Im guessing you have the Cadix which should be much easier to conceal. Since you appendix carry it really comes down to the grip size. If you are comfortable with the Taurus grip sizes available, I’d go for it.
(I’m assuming you don’t have a quota for how many handguns you can own, like some European countries do. However, if this Taurus is taking up a slot in your quota, then it’s a whole different calculation. Is probably stick with the Astra in that case.)
Well....

I do in fact have an Astra 680! As I understand it, it's essentially a K-frame snub, as far as I've understood. Indeed, for carry the Astra is exceedingly comfortable and conceals well. Any printing probably more... complimentary, than anything else!

Sadly, there are quotas here. In my case, the only way to bypass the quota would be to buy a bigger, higher spec safe. Otherwise, as you guessed, I would need to sell one to buy one. In this respect, the swap is clear. I'm unlikely to find any use for the .38 snub, if I have a 3" .357.

Quality is the big question.

Do I turn in a functional, well-made, 6-shot .38 snub in favour of a 5-shot .357 3" revolver from a company that many are happy with but some have significant problems with?

All this is of particular concern since I'm in a country where sending it back to the factory simply isn't a viable option.

It's all tightly controlled and it's not like returning a faulty power tool to the shop. No straight swap. And I expect the shop would not jump to my assistance: they're in the position of power. Not me, the buyer.

So in many respects, it would be a leap of faith: would it be as comfortable to carry and would I be one of the fortunate ones to get a flawless example of the 605?

Tough!

Having said that, ...... .357Mag!!
Old January 13, 2021, 07:42 AM   #41
cdoc42

James, I have a new M605, 2" Taurus in.38/.357. Just got it a month ago and had it to the range 3 times.

I cannot find any cosmetic defects. There is a bit of cylinder movement which disappears when the gun is cocked. From 10 yards the accuracy is acceptable, shooting at commercial plastic water-filled bottles of various sizes, using 125gr JHP for both .38 and .357.

I am happy with it.
Old January 13, 2021, 07:46 AM   #42
Pond, James Pond

Glad you're pleased with it.

Is the accuracy due to the lack of adjustable sights?
Old January 13, 2021, 09:50 AM   #43
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
Yesterday I handled a 3" blued 605, .357Mag.
3" 605. I've seen pics. Never seen one over here in the United State, and only one 3" Model 85. Not common here.

Quote:
The weigh was nice, the barrel length exactly as I'd like it, the grip was comfortable.
Grips can be changed, though what options you have in Eurolandia, I don't know.

Quote:
It pointed well. DA was a bit heavy and rough. SA was pretty clean.

I would certainly hope that the DA would smooth out with time.
It does. At least, mine smoothed up nicely. I've never been tempted to do amateur action work, or install lighter springs.

Quote:
Could I live with a 5-shot?
Well, yes. I think so.
A lot of people do. I do.

Quote:
If I carry, I'm already better prepared for any unpleasantness, and I feel I at least have last resorts to protect my kids, partner and myself.
I would suggest you go listen to or watch P&S ModCast 197 - Snubbies!. (Yeah, yeah, 3.5 hours. It's worth it. You can skip the first 30 minutes, as they're waiting for someone to show up.) Especially Darryl Bolke's comments, about the snubby's place being a "getting out of trouble gun". (When you're done with that, also check out Realistic Carry Expectations. A little less information dense, but still very worth the listen.

Quote:
Would I prefer 3"?
For holster carry only, probably. Likely won't be able to pocket carry, which is a huge consideration for me. "Your Mileage May Vary".

Quote:
Would I prefer .357?

Yes.
And I'm going to say "probably not". At least, mind the load. I like having the option but It's not fun at all for me to shoot .357 through mine.

Quote:
Am I concerned by Taurus QC?
Check it over real good, first. See Jim March's revolver checkout document, thread pinned to the top of the Revolver subforum. Visually check alignment. Based on what random folks complain about on the internet, check sideplate screws, and check cylinder gap.

(and whatever became of Jim March? Anyone know?)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 13, 2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old January 13, 2021, 10:23 AM   #44
Radny97

Taurus 605/627 .357 Mag: first hand experiences only, please

My feeling is summed up by an old adage my dad used to say “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”
The Astra is a known entity that you like and that works well for you. Not so much with the Taurus. 357 is great for woods carry. And it does bring more power even in a snubnose. But I’m not sure that it’s measurably more deadly than a hot and properly constructed 38. Maybe a little. But the extra round of 38 is its own benefit.
That said, if you’re ready to roll the dice with a new gun because you’d like a change of scenery, go for it.

BTW, i would love to own a 680. They are impossible to find in the States.

Old January 13, 2021, 11:58 AM   #45
cdoc42

"Is the accuracy due to the lack of adjustable sights?"

If I can hit a 12-oz bottle of water from 10-15 yards with a snub-nose .357, I can hit anything larger, and that's good enough for me, so I really don't need the adjustable sights.
Old January 13, 2021, 02:53 PM   #46
Pond, James Pond

I will say this: you lot make me swing like a metronome of indecision.

It is true that I do like the Astra. It is so solid feeling.
And I do know it pretty well. I will say that I find it hard to shoot well with the current grips (I have to readjust my grip with every shot and even .38 is quite punishing with 158gr) and I'll have to craft my own to get passed that. But that is doable.

The Taurus would not be my first choice if I could have whatever I wanted to replace the Astra, but is the closest that this tiny firearms market seems able to muster.

If I could wave a wand, I'd have a Ruger 3" SP101 in .357, or perhaps even the GP100 in .44Spl, although that as appendix carry would make for some awkward conversations.

I guess I like the greater flexibility of the .357 given that I spent a lot of my time in the sticks, although I have my .44 for that.

I certainly don't have the money right now, so I suspect my choice will continue to oscillate for months to come, and if business picks up, then I'll have to make a decision or stick to it.

Or buy that new safe!
Old January 13, 2021, 05:44 PM   #47
Radny97

Definitely get the safe.

Old January 14, 2021, 04:53 AM   #48
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Definitely get the safe.
Which then snowballs into "buy a bigger flat to accommodate the bigger safe"!

I tell you: the hoops I have to consider launching myself through should be testimony enough to my passion for shooting!
Old January 14, 2021, 05:25 AM   #49
Pond, James Pond

To top it all, I have found a 3" 5-shot Model 60 on sale.

Second hand, it is 80% more expensive than the new Taurus... Ouch. (Taurus just under €600, S&W €900!!)

But if I had the money I'd jump on that S&W!!

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; January 14, 2021 at 05:53 AM.
Old January 14, 2021, 09:01 PM   #50
Radny97

Oh you won’t regret the Smith