The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Gus90

RIA Tactical 1911 .45 ACP

I recently acquired a RIA Tactical 1911 in .45 ACP. Before this I had never even handled a RIA (due to prejudice against the the price) but after handling it and putting +100 rnds through it I am pleasantly surprised by its performance. Only one malfunction, a FTE because I limp-wristed it on the last rnd. There are a few things i'd like to change about it, mainly a match grade barrel, and modifying the ambidextrous safety. Does anyone have any experience with this model and modifying it? Any other recommended mods?
Old June 28, 2014, 05:29 PM   #2
JERRYS.

I have the 9mm version. are you sure you just have to modify it? I find mine great just the way it is. maybe different sights and grips and breaking some sharp edges... but basically its fine right out of the box.

I ask that you shoot more than a paltry 100 rounds through it before you start changing things.... just to give it a chance.
Old June 28, 2014, 06:26 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The term "match grade" is meaningless. Virtually every 1911 being sold today has or claims to have a "match grade" barrel. If you really want to uprade to a national match barrel, expect to pay twice what the gun cost you to buy the barrel and have it fitted. 1911 barrels are NOT "drop-ins."

RIA pistols are plenty accurate out of the box unless you are a national-level bullseye shooter.
Old June 29, 2014, 07:42 PM   #4
tekarra

I have the same pistol and the only thing I changed were the grips.
Old June 29, 2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Venom1956

Ill agree with Aguila,

replacing a barrel with a 'match grade' one is nothing but marketing, I'd doubt you'd see any changes in groups.

When you start changing tolerances in a 1911 that is when you start having problems.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 30, 2014, 10:49 PM   #6
cdbeagle

I bought two a couple of months ago and they are my first 1911's. The only thing I changed was adding slim grips. I'm very happy with my RIA's
Old July 20, 2014, 12:47 AM   #7
Gus90

So, to return to this topic, i have now put almost 1000 rounds through this RIA without any issues, performance is well above expectations. my accuracy with it has improved but still not to the standard of my other 1911's. What i'm finding is that what i originally thought was just copper fouling in the barrel at the time of purchase has turned out to be slight pitting in the grooves of the rifling. It appears that the previous owner never cleaned it. Has anyone else had an experience where slight pitting effected accuracy? Or has anyone had to replace a barrel because of corrosion/pitting in a 1911?
Old July 20, 2014, 10:53 AM   #8
boondocker385

Where is the pitting? I bought a Springfield from a guy who complained about the pitting near the chamber screwing up accuracy.. it wasn't an issue in terms of accuracy and only required an extra minute to clean.
Old July 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Lewis Lead-Out, followed by J-B bore cleaner, followed by J-B Bore Shine.
Old July 20, 2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Gus90

The pitting is nearer to the muzzle, seems to be about 1" long right up against the lands of the rifling. I'll see if i can get a pic to show what it looks like.
Old July 22, 2014, 12:25 PM   #11
guncheese

the best thing to do with that gun is to have EGW bore you a bushing for it
http://egwguns.com
measure the ID of your slide
and the OD of the barrel
and they will custom angle bore a bushing just for you
and its the single most effective, cheap and easy way to make that gun sing your tune
Old July 23, 2014, 03:29 AM   #12
gyvel

Quote:
I have the same pistol and the only thing I changed were the grips.
Yes, I never understood why Armscor put those cheesy looking uncheckered grips on them.
Old July 23, 2014, 03:31 AM   #13
gyvel

Quote:
The pitting is nearer to the muzzle, seems to be about 1" long right up against the lands of the rifling. I'll see if i can get a pic to show what it looks like.
Are you absolutely sure it isn't compressed lead stuck in the corners? Lead can sometimes be very stubborn to remove and, at times, can take on the appearance of light pitting. I have had leading at times that was so stubborn, I eventually had to resort to a dental pick to remove it from the corners.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:04 PM   #14
45Gunner

Only thing I changed on mine were the grips. Grips that came with the gun were extremely ugly. I asked my gunsmith to modify the gun, virtually take out all the innards and replace them with quality stuff. He told me for what the gun was, it was OK the way it is. If I wanted to build a gun, buy a higher quality frame. I use my RIA for a range gun in rotation with others and it is an adequate gun for that. Have had mine for several years now and not a single problem...not even a recoil spring change. How can ya complain about that for a $400 gun?
NRA Life Member
Old July 24, 2014, 08:09 AM   #15
jasmith85

I found the RIA that I previously owned to be a nice gun. Since they finally removed the giant billboard on the side of the slide I have been thinking about buying another one. The tacticals are a great value because you can sometimes find them within a few dollars of the price of a base model.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:58 PM   #16
Spooler41

I purchased my RIA 1911 commander(4.5" barrel) last January. The only
mods I've done are the grips. I replaced the smooth grips with Parchmeyer
wrap around rubber/Walnut grips . These grips made a world of difference,
a much more secure feeling in my hand. I've fired about 700 rnds. without
any failures . It just seems to get better every time I take it out to shoot.

..........................Jack