The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 4, 2001, 05:07 AM   #1
dewey

I have a grip panel that has a 1/2 crack that needs repaired. What's the proper way to repair it ? Split first and try to reglue using clamp ?...Thanks...dewey
Old May 4, 2001, 09:28 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've used the following to very successfully repair split grips and forearms...

1. Use a dremel to hog out a channel on the backside of the grip. Undercut it a bit to provide a "key" lock. Go at least 1/2" farther that the extent of the crack on the outside of the grip.

2. Drill a small "relief" hole through the very end of the crack. This relieves the stress that is causing the crack.

Be sure to save the dust & wood fiber from these two operations, as you can fill the drill hole with a mixture of dust & white glue to cut down on the appearance issues.

3. Clean thoroughly to remove all dust.

4. Using epoxy glue, accraglass, or a similar compound, fill the channel that you just cut into the grip. Be sure to spread the cracked area slightly so that you get the cracked edges to bond, as well. Don't let it drip through the crack, though, as it can take the finish off the grip pannel.

Smooth the bonding compound to match the contour of the back of the grip pannel so you don't have to do a lot of sanding.

5. Clamp, and let to dry.

I've fixed probably a dozen or more items using this method, and I've not had the cracks reappear.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 4, 2001, 09:23 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I too like "DIY" but unless the grip belongs to some kind of rare collectors item, why not just buy a new set of grips? It would seem to be a lot less trouble than all that cutting and filling and gluing.

Jim
Old May 4, 2001, 09:28 PM   #4
dewey

Thanks, MIKE

I had to print it out so I can read it a 'few' times so's
it'll sink in....dewey

PS- They are Diamond Targets grips off a 1956 S&W .44MAG
so I'll be keepin' em....No matter what !