The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 9, 2015, 07:50 AM   #1
BoogieMan

71/84 Value range

I looked at a 71/84 yesterday in very nice condition. I ended up with a chance to buy it and I am not sure. I have decided to hold my collection to Hungarian rifles and handguns. And some new stuff. We all need limits.
Left side of receiver stamped JG Mod 71/84
Barrel stamped 10.95, chamber area is hex. Full length barrel, not carbine
Appears to be a tube feed magazine loaded from the receiver.
Bore is massive and pristine. Appears to be all original with no signs of import marks or any rework. Stock is varnished or similar sealed finish.
What cartridge would this rifle fire? Are they available?
I see a few rifles on gunbroker in similar condition that are asking $1500 plus. I know the dealer that has this paid pennies for the rifle and I think I can get it for a couple hundred
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 9, 2015, 08:55 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

The cartridge is 11 MM Mauser, it fired a 385 grain paper patched bullet. The powder charge was 77 grains of black powder, a grease/wax wad was placed under the bullet.
Old December 9, 2015, 09:14 AM   #3
BoogieMan

Doesnt sound like much fun (to me) to reload. Are these rifles desirable and or valuable?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 9, 2015, 09:40 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

You can get pricey ammo for these from Buffalo Arms.

$200 is a steal. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Let someone who wants it buy it.
Old December 9, 2015, 11:06 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

I've paid $500 for both of mine and I was happy about the price. One thing to check is original stock length on these. Drilling out the wood for the Kopatchek magazine weakened the wood a lot, and many broke. So you see a lot of "carbine" versions without the full length stock. BTW the marking is IG, for infantrie gewehr, and should be the full length rifle.
Smokeless ammo was made until the 50's in Canada where a lot of those guns ended up for local militia troops. Occasionally you can still find a box but typically at about $2 a round.
Old December 9, 2015, 11:34 AM   #6
BoogieMan

I will see what I can get it for. The dealer picked up about 10 milsurps yesterday for under $1000. He only wanted one of the rifles in the bunch. If I can buy it right I will probably re-sell it.
It is an interesting rifle and in fine condition. I dont have time to reload for it and it doesnt really fit into my collection. I already need to cull the heard. Thank you for the information.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 9, 2015, 04:10 PM   #7
gyvel

Quote:
Doesnt sound like much fun (to me) to reload. Are these rifles desirable and or valuable?
It's easy to reload (dies are available), they are very desirable and are worth quite a bit.

I had several 19th century "11mm-ish" guns in my collection until I decided to sell them, including a 71 and a 71/84 Mauser. I shot them both, and reloaded the rounds which were Canadian Dominion Boxer primed rounds. I think I still have the rounds somewhere.

The "J" in "JG" that you refer to is actually an "I." "IG"= "Infanterie Gewehr."
SIFE
Old December 9, 2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Gavlan

You reload these 11mm's as you would any other caliber, I use a set of Lee 43 mauser dies and Bertrum Brass ( Australian brass I think) and I cast a 385gn bullet .
Now the brass was pricey even 5 years ago when I bought it new but iv'e managed to keep it in good shape by neck sizing only and given the fact I only shoot this beast about once a year it's not that bad.
You can use load data for the 45-70 springer trapdoor with smokeless,, Trapdoor loads ONLY though , or go the BP route .

here'e one beside a 45-70..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11mm&forster 012.jpg (82.4 KB, 31 views)
Old December 9, 2015, 08:00 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The 71/84 is basically the single shot Model 1871 design modified to use the tubular magazine you mention. (The Model 71's were not converted, though; the 71/84's were new made.) They were sturdy and reliable rifles and good guns to have in a military rifle collection.

Jim
Old December 9, 2015, 08:30 PM   #10
BoogieMan

I passed on it. Ended up grabbing a pair of arisaka. One in poor condition, the other in decent condition. Kicker was they had bring back papers with them and he gave them up for $100.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old December 10, 2015, 02:17 AM   #11
Scorch

I used to own a 1871 Mauser, it was a great rifle and lots of fun to shoot. I learned to reload BP and paper patch with that gun. Wish I had never let it go.
Old December 11, 2015, 04:22 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

If it's still there next paycheck cycle, go back and get it!
Old December 11, 2015, 09:23 PM   #13
BoogieMan

Wasn't an issue of pay. The rifle just doesn't interest me now that I know what it is. I told lgs (buddy of mine) to put it up on gunbroken or gunsamerica. He lists low and let's the auction run. That way it's fair for anyone who wants it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown