The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 16, 2015, 12:46 AM   #1
Surp

Yugo capture K98

So as you can see they replaced the stock on this rifle and I really wanted a cupped but takedown disk stock but after looking at current prices of said stocks I am not so sure I want to pay what I shelled out for the rifle itself for a stock to put it in. So what do you guys think about trying to make this stock look like what I want? It's definitely not something I would normally do but I really want/like that style of stock and like I said the price of an original is as much or more then a payed for the rifle itself.

Also anyone know what this 9✫24 is that I found under the barrel?

Last edited by Surp; November 16, 2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old November 16, 2015, 11:58 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

I would not Bubba the existing stock to get what you want, you can end up with a collectible rifle suddenly having half the value it had the day before.

The 9*24 could be a date, a part number, or an inspector's mark. I doubt if it is a date.
Old November 16, 2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Surp

These aren't really what most would consider super collectible rifles and although I known that can change I doubt this style of post war yugo stock will ever become all that desirable.

Last edited by Surp; November 16, 2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old November 17, 2015, 01:16 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Doesn't matter if it's popular or not, super collectible or not, Bubba will lose half the value of his piece, whatever it may be, by trying to turn it into something else.

They used to sell K98s for $19.95. Take any two of those and sell the one you didn't 'improve', then sell the one you worked on, see what the prices are.

It's your rifle, you can do what you want with it, but don't delude yourself that it can't be a mistake. There is a reason why the stock style you want to see on it costs money. They are being used to replace Bubba's follies and recoup some lost value.
Old November 17, 2015, 04:55 PM   #5
gyvel

Not all 98ks were issued with cupped buttplates. Leave it alone; You're not going to fool anybody.
SIFE
Old November 17, 2015, 07:06 PM   #6
emcon5

Quote:
Not all 98ks were issued with cupped buttplates.
True, but that one is an odd combination. It has the early style flat butt plate, but no bolt takedown hole. Normally when you see a K98 stock without the takedown hole it is the later cupped style, or even the Kriegsmodel style with a takedown hole on the side of the butt plate. Israel adopted this style on their stocks.

Yugoslavia made stocks for the M48 with the cupped style without a takedown hole, either in the stock or the plate.

Is the butt plate serialized to the rifle?
Old November 17, 2015, 10:44 PM   #7
wpsdlrg

Not unusual at all. The Yugo M1924 series rifles (the predecessor to the M1948 series) had the flat butt plate stock. The Yugo capture K98k in question was simply re-stocked with an early-pattern stock. I've seen plenty like it.

I concur with others. Don't butcher what's already there. It ain't broke - so don't try to fix it. If you REALLY want an original K98k stock for your rifle, save your pennies and get one when you can.
Old November 18, 2015, 01:11 AM   #8
Surp

Yeah I think I am just going to wait and try to find a decent deal on one since I don't really like the idea of messing with history. It's not that I really need to save up for one or anything I am just not willing to pay the prices they seem to be going for now so hopefully with time I can find one for a fair price.
Old November 18, 2015, 01:29 AM   #9
Surp

kilimanjaro I payed 250 for the rifle so I am pretty sure if I "bubba'd" the stock into looking like a German stock with genuine german parts I could always get at very least that but really value to anyone other than myself is of no concern with anything I have in my collection (Could show you a bunch of stuff you probably wouldn't like). It's more the fact I don't like permanently altering old things or pieces of history. This is the first time I have even really considered permanently altering one of my non-modern firearms and I think I was more just thinking out loud and kind of hoping to be talked out of it.

gyvel I know early K98 did not have cupped buts and I don't care because this is not an original and that is not the style that I like. Also I could care less about fooling anyone in anyway I just personally like that style and was hoping it was what I would get when I had ordered this rifle but unfortunately I ended up with a post war yugo stock that I myself do not prefer. It's a Yugo capture and you can easily tell that by the huge Yugo crest and lack of most German markings so what would I be fooling anyone into anyway? That the Yugos put a random German stock back on the rifle when they historically "bubba'd" it up? Don't get me wrong unlike a lot of snooty collectors I truly appreciate capture weapons and the history they hold. Hell I won't even change my P38 that has been nickel plated by the vet that brought it back because I know you can never make it original and to me that's part of history and the personal story of this war trophy so I wouldn't want to but in this case I didn't want to wrap up the kind of money I would have to spend on a stock for this rifle so the thought had crossed my mind when thinking of a way around it.

In short you guys are right but it's not like I was saying I was going to sporterize anything or drill holes in the actual rifle itself so while I completely understand where you are coming from I don't think it was necessarily an insane idea to bounce off of fellow hobbyist and I still have plans to change the stock just not modify the existing one.

Last edited by Surp; November 18, 2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old November 21, 2015, 03:20 AM   #10
gyvel

FWIW, there is another Yugo 98 on Gunbroker with an identical stock.
SIFE