The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 13, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
customaquatics

illinois conceal an carry

illinois is one step closer to having conceal an carry laws:
http://www.illinoiscarry.com/
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old March 16, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Patriot86

If this somehow passes I will go down to hell and ice skate with the devil.
I would love to see it pass, but you have SO many democratic "machine" anti-gun law makers at both the state and national level in/from Illinois, including our Governor Patt Quinn I just can't see how it will pass unless it is simply used as a bone to make the state level Republicans play ball on a host of other issues.

Ice skates aside, crossing my fingers that I would see such a bill signed by our Governor in my lifetime.
Old April 26, 2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Harry Callahan

Illinois RTC. Call your reps...NOW!!!

All,

We are sooo close to RTC in Illinois(YES, ILLINOIS!). The House vote is probably this week and definitely by May 6. We are flirting with a supermajority of 71 votes which would eliminate Chicago home rule and make it veto proof when it crosses Quinn's desk. PLEASE, call your representatives and tell them to support HB148...NOW! We may finally be joining the ranks of citizens instead of subjects! Call now. Find your rep here:

http://www.ilga.gov/
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old April 29, 2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Davey

The vote is going to happen some time next week . Get on the phone illinoisers!

Too important to let this go to page two.
Old April 29, 2011, 05:27 AM   #5
vytoland

illinois house bill 148............right to carry a firearm...................

contact your illinois representative N O W!!!

make that call...........write that letter..........send that email N O W !!!

tell him/her to support house bill 148.

find your rep here..................

http://www.ilga.gov/house/default.asp
Old April 29, 2011, 06:02 AM   #6
vytoland

Illinois Right to Carry

illinois house bill 148............right to carry a firearm...................

contact your illinois representative N O W!!!

make that call...........write that letter..........send that email N O W !!!

tell him/her to support house bill 148.

find your rep here..................

Old April 29, 2011, 07:06 AM   #7
vito

Like many in downstate IL, my State Representative and State Senator are pro-2nd Amendment, but so what? If it weren't for Chicago and the collar county communities IL would have had concealed carry years ago, but the Chicagoland area dominates the entire state politically. Its not a Republican vs Democrat issue, but a Chicago vs the rest of the state conflict. We need to keep trying, but obviously the voters in Chicago and its immediate vicinity are still knee-jerk liberal Democrats, as evidenced by the elections of anti-gunners like Pat Quinn for Governor and Rom Emmanuel for mayor of Chicago. I believe the only way I will ever get to legally carry a gun in IL is if I can somehow get elected as a Chicago city alderman who apparently are given permission do do so despite the lack of any applicable IL law.
Old April 29, 2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Duplicate threads merged.

Now...

Folks, this is where we can all help our friends in Illinois. Gray Peterson (Peterson v. LaCabe) posted the following over at CalGuns (he's a regular member there). It's a great Idea and we should all help out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson
The Illinois House of Representatives is intending on voting soon on an amended version of HB148. The current bill on the Illinois website will not be the final bill. The ISRA/NRA lobbyist there (Todd Vandermyde, Ed Worley's counterpart in Illinois) has been negotiating with numerous parties in order to get maximum support for the bill from law enforcement and transit employees. Thus far, the Illinois Sheriff's Association, the Illinois Chiefs of Police Association, and the Chicago ATU transit union for Chicago Transit Authority is in full support, and Illinois State Police is neutral and has stated the bill would actually assist in modernizing their records.

It will be a shall-issue bill, and will be valid statewide, including Chicago.

There are more details that are quite positive for gun owners even here in California and in other states, but I will not share them at this time due to the storm that the anti-gunners are brewing in Illinois about mental health records.

The person who holds the fate of the bill in their hands is Speaker Michael Madigan. Though a vote will be held soon, that can be pulled back on at any time.

We need 71 votes in the House in order to show both a veto-override majority as well as a home-rule override majority under the Illinois constitution. Anything less than that will result in a successful lawsuit by Chicago/Cook County governments to overturn this bill and reban carry in their jurisdictions.

We must prevent Otis McDonald and every other Chicagoan from having the ability to carry ripped from him by a lawsuit. We need 71 votes. Period.

Because of this, Calgunners (and TFLers), we need more heat brought to bear on Illinois than anything else that California has ever been done, even more so the Legislative pressure we brought onto AB962. Though AB962 effected Californians (and we dodged a bullet in that one in court), helping to free 13 million people from the clutches of "banned carry", therefor saving lives, is very important.

Springfield Office:
300 Capitol Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(217) 782-5350
(217) 524-1794 FAX

[email protected]

Call, fax and email the above: Here are your talking points:

1) You are calling in his capacity as Speaker of the House, not as an individual representative.
2) That you support an amended HB148, and you want it for a vote on the floor.
3) That you want him to vote for it.
4) That you want him to convince his caucus to do so.

If they ask for specifically where you live, be truthful and advise that you're from out of state and would travel there but can't/won't because the carry ban makes it where you don't feel safe without Illinois residents being able to carry. This is VERY important, and make sure you say it along those lines (not talking about yourself being armed).

If you folks have ANY family members in Illinois, hand them the link below:

Ask them to find their State Rep and call/fax/email.

The folks here in CGN can push the bill over the edge with the calls and faxes (and I'm looking for an email). Not only will we get 13 million people free from their carry ban, we can cripple the gun control movement in this country. The Bradies and VPC and every other national gun control organization has started sending people to Illinois. This is their last stand. This is their Waterloo. Losing Illinois will break their back and weaken them everywhere, even in California.

Call, fax, and email Speaker Madigan's office TODAY. Fire up an efax account if you need to.
Old May 1, 2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Civil War Life

Or, you can do what I did. Get the H*** out of Illinois.
Old May 1, 2011, 08:27 PM   #10
mrray13

Already sent multiple emails, but more are for sure needed up north!
Old May 1, 2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Moving over to Law and Civil Rights.

As a reminder, be sure to review the forum rules, folks.

Edited by Al Norris: Threads Merged.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 2, 2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Davey

http://www.ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?GA=97&MemberID=1785

If you are in Michelle Mussman's area you NEED to call NOW. Pleeeeease.
Old May 3, 2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Harry Callahan

I have emailed her, met her, marched to her office in Springfield for IGOLD, and even offered to take her shooting and introduce her to our sport. She has tentatively accepted the offer but said she probably won't be able to free up any time until the session(and vote)are over. I'll keep trying!
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old May 3, 2011, 10:40 AM   #14
output

Called, emailed, and faxed!

I wish more people would do the same.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:34 PM   #15
Patriot86

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3259724.story

Call Patt Quinn too!

Passing this in the state house will do no good if it gets vetoed by Mr. Quinn!

"Gov. Pat Quinn announced his opposition to concealed carry legislation up for debate this week in the Illinois House, saying allowing private citizens to carry loaded weapons is dangerous and would be detrimental to public safety."
Old May 3, 2011, 01:34 PM   #16
Harry Callahan

It will if we can get 71 votes in the House. Then Quinn can
't touch it! C'mon Illinoisans, HAMMER 'EM NOW!
Old May 3, 2011, 02:31 PM   #17
ming

Gov. Quinn can be reached via email as follows:

http://www2.illinois.gov/gov/Pages/C...eGovernor.aspx

Hearing from out of staters who have CCW rights can't hurt. We could use some help here guys.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:14 PM   #18
Top_Notch

Quote:
If you are in Michelle Mussman's area you NEED to call NOW. Pleeeeease.
She lives right down the street from me. I followed her election very closely as she ran against a young Republican and it was a tight race. The one thing I learned is that she is ignorant of meaning of the Second Amendment. Instead, she believes her viewpoints supercede our Constitution. She is a lost cause and not open to your viewpoint. Her campaign was financed by Madigan and she wouldn't want to do anything to upset the ca$h cow. IL Politics as usual.

For the record, I did not vote for her.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:37 PM   #19
Goidel

Gov Quinn Says No Way

The Gov about said about an hour again, that he will not sign the bill and pitch it out.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:53 PM   #20
dsa1115

It passed the Agriculture and Conservation Committee today in a 12-1 vote, but Quinn is saying he'll veto if it passes.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:23 PM   #21
Webleymkv

I sent an email to Gov Quinn though I have my doubts as to what good it will do. I have a feeling that Chicago will have to be dragged into legal CCW kicking and screaming, possibly by SCOTUS.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:42 PM   #22
Davey

Quote:
She lives right down the street from me. I followed her election very closely as she ran against a young Republican and it was a tight race. The one thing I learned is that she is ignorant of meaning of the Second Amendment. Instead, she believes her viewpoints supercede our Constitution. She is a lost cause and not open to your viewpoint.
That sucks. I had a chance to talk to her as she returned my call. It sounded like she was just barely on the Nay side which is why I pleaded for calls to her.

I work in Schaumburg so it would have been nice to have a supporting vote from her.
Old May 4, 2011, 09:46 PM   #23
Davey

Word on the street is Thursday is the big day.
Old May 5, 2011, 01:24 PM   #24
Davey

IL House is in session now, wish us luck everyone!
Old May 5, 2011, 02:01 PM   #25
Technosavant

Good luck, we're pulling for you here across the river. I'd love to be able to carry when I visit my in-laws.