The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2011, 01:30 AM   #1
TheKlawMan

Disposal of/Depriming Primed Shotshells

What is the sane way of disposing of shotgun hulls with live primers (but no powder or shot) or shells that FTF. I suppose some would just toss them in the trash can. I imagine those FTF's could still go off, even it they didn't fire twice in my 870. I see where some even use the deprime and resizing station on their MEC's to knock unfired primers out. Some of the hulls I have piled up probably have good primers in them that were inserted before I decided the hull wasn't good enough for reloading.
Old July 20, 2011, 06:05 AM   #2
oneounceload

Deprime them and reuse the components - no biggie.

If you have a completed round that needs disassembly, I use a PVC sprinkler pipe cutter around the hull - I can salvage everything but the hull that way
Old July 20, 2011, 12:32 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Oneounce. That sounds good. Actually I deprimed about ten but didn't want to admit I did what the Lyman book says is a no-no, but seems pretty safe to me if done smoothly.

I have a pvc pipe cutter which is a good idea. I didn't like the idea of using a hacksaw. BTW, my powder drops are coming out a lot more evenly.