The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Hog Hunter

Priming tool

Saw a "Smart reloading hand priming tool" on ebay and was wondering if any of yall have tried one. Its the first ive seen of this thing so I take that its fairly new. Also just got about everything I need to put together a reloading bench so I can quit using my pops stuff. The only thing I really need is a way to prime my brass. The press I got is a rcbs rock chucker, the same one my pops has and ive been using for years. his uses a primer feed tube and mine dont have the little foot that you put the tube in. Its got the place for it just dont have it. Maybe someone on here has an extra one lying around they want to get rid of. Also how do you guys that have this press prime your rifle brass? Or any other ways that you use. Thanks!!
Old February 25, 2011, 10:44 AM   #2
overkill0084

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/Parts_Book.pdf

I would call RCBS and order the part you need. As I understand it, their customer service is great.

For hand priming, I use a RCBS hand priming tool. A bit fiddly to setup, but works well.
Never used them, but my understanding is that Smart Reloader products are inexpensive..ahem Chinese knockoffs. I would stick with established american brands as much as possible. YMMV.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 25, 2011, 10:05 PM   #3
jmortimer

I'll stick with the Lee Precision Auto Prime. Mine are over 10 years old and going strong. As with most users, very, very happy with the Auto Prime.
Old February 25, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4
k4swb

Quote:
I'll stick with the Lee Precision Auto Prime. Mine are over 10 years old and going strong. As with most users, very, very happy with the Auto Prime.
I have a Lee hand primer with the round tray I've been using for almost 30 years. I almost bought a new model but after reading about how they work now I decided not to. I hate it when someone fixes something that isn't broke.
Old February 25, 2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Jim243

I use the old round Auto Prime (hand primer) as well no need to change.

Jim
Old February 26, 2011, 01:49 PM   #6
LarryFlew

Hand is fine or fine a Lee auto prime 2 (discontinued) that auto feeds and works on any brand of press. Guy on GB sells them for something like $15 with shipping. It's what came with a used Lee I bought and it works great.
Old February 27, 2011, 08:34 AM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

The new Lee priming tool works for me. I have old one too, it still works as well. I like the newer one for the more ergonimic handle, the primer flipping is quick and easy. I have not had to touch a primer to flip it over in the thing yet.
Old February 27, 2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Cascade1911

I have to agree with m&p45acp10+1. I have the old Auto Prime but couldn't find the tray cover. Searched for a week while very carefully using it without the cover. Finally broke down and bought a new one and it works fine. One big advantage is it will take those big federal primer boxes. Either the old or the new Auto Primes work great for me. Oh yeah, and of course a couple of days after the new Auto Prime arrived I found where I had put the missing covers..
Old February 27, 2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Hog Hunter

So will the Lee Auto Prime work with the rcbs rock chucker press??
Old February 27, 2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Cascade1911

The Auto Prime is a small hand help priming tool that primes the brass off line from the press. It will work with any press. You just flip a box of primers into the tray, hold the tool in one hand, load an empty, de-capped, sized shell into it with the other, squeeze the handle, remove the capped shell and repeat. Might take two seconds or so to prime a case. Just remember that you need the right size shell holder for your case. Not the same as the standard press shell holder but they are cheap.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:40 PM   #11
mikld

I have to say anyone who asks about Smart Reloader equipment; it's junk. I have experience the embarrassment of purchasing one of their small C presses, and I must tell you, it's nearly worthless. When one product is this bad, I'm suspect of all their stuff. Go with Lee...
Old February 27, 2011, 06:21 PM   #12
johnjohn

Get the Lee hand primer, the only downside is it uses special shell holders but the're available everywhere.
Old February 27, 2011, 09:15 PM   #13
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have been using the Lee Auto Prime II on a dedicated Press for many years and it is the slickest thing In the world , and it accepts Universal shell holders unlike the Auto Prime . A press without compound leverage works best with it ( better feel )
Old February 27, 2011, 11:10 PM   #14
Wag

I hate priming more than any other stage of the process.

--Wag--
Old February 27, 2011, 11:17 PM   #15
Miata Mike

I don't mind hand priming with my Lee round unit. I just did 300 while watching the Simpson's tonight. Gives me another chance to inspect the flash hole and case.
Old February 28, 2011, 02:02 PM   #16
jmortimer

I can do a batch of fifty, each one carefully inspected, in about 10 minutes with the Auto Prime and I enjoy priming more than any other step. I like seeing the loading block all set up with 50 primed cases ready to go.
Old February 28, 2011, 03:31 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I hate priming more than any other stage of the process.
Priming is one of the best parts of the process. It's easy, quick, and with my method, it means some loaded ammo will be coming out of the press in the next step.

In the past, I have blasted my RCBS Hand Prime tool pretty badly for poor engineering, poor tolerances, and an assembly process that is just stupid - but supported it for still being better than the Lee Auto Prime. Now, however, the small primer insert is worn so badly that over 20% of primers are flipping, and the small primer insert has had less than 3,000 primers through it. I can't recommend it, at all. (I'm a big fan of RCBS and their lifetime warranty. Sure, they'll send me a replacement insert for free... but I shouldn't have to order replacement parts every 3,000 primers.)
Old February 28, 2011, 04:27 PM   #18
Usertag

I know people that have used it and have seen people use it. Its a great tool. very easy to use. I recommend you Buy it. If you reload Cartridges Alot.
Old February 28, 2011, 04:42 PM   #19
isanchez2008

Quote:
Sure, they'll send me a replacement insert for free... but I shouldn't have to order replacement parts every 3,000 primers.)
I can recommend the RCBS because my small primer plastic insert has not worn in anyway that affects its performance. Having used it for well over 3000 primers.
Old February 28, 2011, 05:18 PM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

The one I now have is the Lee Auto Prime XR. They improved the auto prime by making the primer tray larger, and square. It has a better more agressive surface in the tray that makes flipping primers over as simple as a light side to side jiggle and they are all ready to go. The handle is now curved, and way stronger than the old ones. No more snapped off handles.

The shell holder set cost around $15, and they do a heck of a lot of calibers. Cost of the new auto prome from Cabella's was about $16. So for $30 round about you can have the Lee unit which works just fine. It is simple, and easy to use, and provides good feel. I primed 300 .223 cases in about 40 or so minutes while watching tv today, and I was not going super fast either.

The Lee unit is a good piece of equipment at any price.
Old February 28, 2011, 09:45 PM   #21
BigJakeJ1s

I have a Lee Auto Prime, and it works well enough. But when I want to prime more than a hundred or so at a sitting, since the LAP uses only the thumb to work the lever, it makes my thumb sore/numb.

I switched to the RCBS Universal Hand Primer, and like it much better. The handle uses the whole hand for working the lever, and is much easier on the thumb. It has universal shell holder jaws so you don't need shell holders (standard or otherwise). The large square tray detaches easily from the handle and lays flat for loading or storage. It also has a gate to close off the chute so primers cannot spill out.

Sounds like the new LAP has some of these features, and at a lot less cost, but it still uses just the thumb to do all the work, and needs custom shell holders.

Another hand primer that uses the whole hand is the Hornady. I have not tried it, but it gets good reviews.

Andy