The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 7, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Spur0701

Colt Walker w/ Conical bullet for Backup BP Revolver this Deer Season

I wanted a backup black powder pistol for white tail season, I'm using an inline TC Encore rifle and wanted a revolver for close range shots, 20 yards or less, for finishing or taking smaller does. A few friends have Ruger Old Armys but after doing some reseach on the net I understand they're only equivlent to a .38 revolver and I don't like the terminal balistics of a round ball. I was thinking of a Colt Walker with the largest load I could get (52 grains is the capacity I think) with a conical lead bullet that would give good expansion....any advice?
Old August 7, 2005, 03:01 PM   #2
38splfan

Buffalo Bullets.

Buffalo Bullet Company makes an item called a "ball-et".
It is kinda like a round ball with a conical checkered base to grab rifling. I'm not sure where to get them anymore, but they should solve you problem easily.
Old August 28, 2005, 09:48 AM   #3
mec

The Ruger Old Army might do just fine

The 190 grain Buffalo Bullet Company conical (Ballette?) can be loaded to pretty good levels.
[
For me, best accuracy happened with the 40 grain charge

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 28, 2005, 11:20 AM   #4
MLKeith

You might want to check the local laws for the season. In Arizona a cylinder loaded revolver is not legal to be used as a backup in the muzzleloading season as it is not a muzzleloading firearm. I already have the Ruger and I also believe it is capable of being loaded to levels close to .44 special which is sufficient for a backup firearm if it is legal. The quality of the Ruger is way better than any of the other makes of black powder revolvers and I would feel a lot safer with maximum loads in this firearm.
Old September 2, 2005, 03:03 PM   #5
uwunsum

well if you are gonna use a walker, why even bring a rifle along?
better the weight spent in a carriage for the thing. No just kidding, I have played with a few walkers. Can't afford one yet but it is on my list along with a lemat.
Old September 25, 2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Remington kid

If you look in the cabelas catalog at the bottom of the page that shows there BP revolvers they will show loading kits you can buy. You will also see sperate balls ans bullets you can buy. You may want to try some of the conical bullets.
Don't let the old "It's only a .38 scare you way from useing it for deer.I don't know what loads were used to reach that conclusion. Loading my 1858 with 35g fffg and a .454 ball it will penitrate a treated 2x6 and half way through another and take out large chunks and splinters along the way at 10 yards (30') with great accuracy. Mike
Old September 27, 2005, 03:57 PM   #7
oldwheat

Round ball ballistics

....Don't diss round ball loads as being non effective....It was common knowledge in the early days that RB had a defineate edge on conicals & the cartridge bullets of the day as a manstopper.......Round ball is unstable & has the tendency to tumble on impact thus dumping a good amount of energy...I read a study (forget where) that put the 1 shot stop percentage of .454 RB at about the same level as .45 Colt HP, that ain't so shabby!!....

....I strongly suspect that the above is the reason that Bill Hickok carried his brace of percussion .36 Navy Colts well into the cartridge era....No doubt thinking that the edge in stopping power outweighed the advantage of faster reloads....
Twelve shots were probably more than enough in his mind for most civil interactions.....
Old September 27, 2005, 07:35 PM   #8
Remington kid

Mec, That Ruger will be my next toy Mike
Old September 29, 2005, 10:56 PM   #9
MPP1423

as far as deer hunting with black powder pistols,i carry a stainless pietta rem with me as a back up and have harvested deer with it also.30 grs of 777 with my 200 gr cast bullet and i have had pass thru shots at 20-25 yrds.so,im not sure about the .38 thing but i know it will do the job.
Old September 1, 2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Lazarus777

I use the Lee 220gr Conicals that I cast myself and they will give you plenty of power to take out a Deer. I've spoken with a few guys that have killed deer with their Ruger Old Army's. I wouldn't feel under powered with a 22gr Conical overtop 35-40 grains of black powder. I talked to a guy a few days ago that took a deer out with a ruger and it ran ten or twenty yards and dropped dead! I'll be trying to take out a Deer this season with my Ruger Old Army...I'll tell you how it goes. And by the way, those Lee 22gr conicals are easily just as, if not more accurate than a round ball. I shot a 2" group with mine yesterday at 17yrds! Offhand duelist!

Laz.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:46 PM   #11
BP pistol hunter

I hunt in Florida with an 1858 stainless pietta revolver with a 12 inch barrel and this baby is no 38 spl. 35 gr of 777 powder under a wad and a 141 gr .454 ball chronographs at 1200+ fps. This load produces 450 ft lbs of muzzle energy and has dropped several wild hogs with authority. The wound channels created by this load are unreal far more devastating wound cavities than my buddies 357 magnum. A pure lead round ball driven at 1000 fps or more have proven deadlier on game than many modern pistol cartridges that I have used. If anyone has hunted Florida you know we have some real big mean hogs and so far none have gone further than 20 yards after being hit with most dropping right in their tracks. Of course precise bullet placement is the key and limit your shots to 50 yards or less.
Old December 16, 2010, 09:24 PM   #12
MJN77

"but after doing some reseach on the net I understand they're (.44) only equivlent to a .38 revolver "

Not likely. A replica Walker with a round ball will beat a .44 magnum in penitration.
Old December 16, 2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Jimmy10mm

I've entertained getting a Walker repro. I've read they weighed 4 pounds. I take my hat off to a man who would carry a 4 pound back up.