The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
riverwalker76

Steel Core Bullet Question.

I bought 1000 rounds of steel core Nato ss109 ammo recently, and was wanting to make sure it wouldn't hurt my Chrome Moly barrel. The reason I ask is that I heard about some military surplus firearms, mainly Mosin Nagants and SKS rifles that had problems with shooting the steel core ammo, but the newer rifles I haven't heard anything about.

I also know that the majority of military barrels nowadays are chrome lined barrels, and not chrome moly.

So, will steel core ammo harm my barrel?
Old March 29, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Lavid2002

The steel is inside the copper jacket of the bullet...your barrel wont know the difference between it, and other copper jacketed bullets.

Shoot away...
Old March 29, 2010, 04:38 PM   #3
riverwalker76

ok. thanks
Old March 29, 2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Lavid2002

No problem...
Old March 29, 2010, 05:32 PM   #5
bobelk99

Just remember that those steel cores will penetrate like a bulldozer. I used to win bets by breaking pigeons that were placed on the opposite site of an old utility pole.
Old March 29, 2010, 05:52 PM   #6
vladan

Quote:
I bought 1000 rounds of steel core Nato ss109 ammo recently, and was wanting to make sure it wouldn't hurt my Chrome Moly barrel. The reason I ask is that I heard about some military surplus firearms, mainly Mosin Nagants and SKS rifles that had problems with shooting the steel core ammo, but the newer rifles I haven't heard anything about.

I also know that the majority of military barrels nowadays are chrome lined barrels, and not chrome moly.

So, will steel core ammo harm my barrel?
Like others stated, the steel core is covered by layer of lead and copper jacket, it will not get in contact with your barrel.
What you have probably heard is about shooting old surplus ammo that has STEEL COPPER PLATED JACKET ... for example old com-bloc 7.62x54R surplus silver tip rounds are this kind - steel core with steel copper plated jacket but even then I wouldn't worry, unless the jacket is corroded the copper plating is enough to protect chrome lined barrel. I use this bullets in my 7.62x39 rounds for my AKs
Old March 29, 2010, 05:59 PM   #7
snuffy

Well I'd bet it isn't "steel cored" bullets, just steel jacketed LEAD core. The steel jacketed is heavily plated with copper so as NOT to wear the rifling. To be steel CORED the bullet would have to be a lot longer than a plain copper jacketed, lead core bullet.

There's tungsten cored bullets, mainly for armor plating. The tungsten is MUCH heavier than steel, so the bullet is nearly the same length as lead cored ammo.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 29, 2010, 07:20 PM   #8
CZ MAN

Steel core vs jacketed

Been shoot'in the stuff in ak / sks 4 ever ... Never noticed any difference .... If you look at used ak's and sks - ( any mil surplus rifle ) you find that the bbls are usally pretty-good , i would worry more about corrosive ammo more than steel cored/ jacketed ammo.....

Cz - man::d