The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 11, 1998, 02:00 AM   #1
Mikep

I am looking for information on vehicle locks for the AR-15 rifle. The units I have examined so far have one common defect in that the weapon can by cycled while in the lock. There is also no provision to prevent the magazine(s) from being removed.

Additionally, I have not seen any units that would be able to secure a rifle equipped with the Redi-Mag system.

The ideal unit (if there is such a thing out there) would incorporate an electric lock with key override and protect the magazine well and upper receiver.

Any info regarding such a device would be appreciated.

------------------

Old December 11, 1998, 02:09 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

I have seen a vertical vehicular mount that held the mag against the lower portion of the onsole in the front seat. The muzzle did not point straight up, but was angled out the front window. The mount had a plastic "shield" that covered the trigger and mag release.
The clamp was a tradional key style, with two padded "c"s that surrounded the foregrip (roundstyle).

I'm not sure who made the mount, and I'm not even sure which department was using them. Off the top of my head it may have been Las Vegas PD or the appropriate county SD that has jurisdiction in LV.

I don't think that there was any protection against manipulating the charging handle, but I might be wrong about that.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 11, 1998, 02:27 AM   #3
Mikep

Rob

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think there was anyone else up this hour of the night, (or morning). I think Las Vegas is now a county wide Metro operation. I'll bet they even have a web site. Thanks for the info.

Stay safe out there.

------------------

Old December 11, 1998, 11:09 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

With some welding skills or a friend who's a welder I should imagine that would not be too hard of a mount to design and build-minus the electronic lock. Maybe even with the electronic lock. It could be made using square thinwall steel tubing and some scrap sheetmetal and build a box. Use the tubing to build a framework and the sheetmetal to wrap sround it. Visualize an elongated shoebox with one end cut off and the top missing. Now put a locking clamp on the end near the top (the open corner but on the end and not the top). Use whatever you want for padding. Maybe even an old bicycle tire slit lengthwise. Then use one way bolts to mount it. I know this doesn't sound overly clear but I hope you can visualize what I'm trying to communicate.

Rich
As an aside, is there any practical way we can load photos, drawings etc. to help clarify the different things we are discussing here on the Forum?
Sorry Rich, just looked in the FAQs. Didn't want to close out my post window to check.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 12-11-98).]
Old December 11, 1998, 12:10 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

fal-
Pictures may be forwarded to me. I'll load them to the server and provide you a link to include in your post.

I'd prefer that images not be included directly in the posts, as it slows the loading for many.

If it's a small image, use the
"[img]LINK URL[/img]" command.
The image will automatically load.

If it's of any real size, please use the
"LINK URL" command.
This will place a link which people may to load the image.

Basically, use your best judgement.
Rich
Old December 21, 1998, 01:07 PM   #6
Patrick

You may want to look at the AR-15 mount from Pro-Gard. Our department uses them with the 9mm SMG model, but they should also work well for longer barrelled weapons.

The mount has an electronic lock, with a backup key if you lose power to the lock. The mount has a plastic guard that covers the receiver and trigger, and is designed to block the charging handle.

This is the new and improved version of their mount. They have an 800 number, but I forgot to write it down. They are on the web at: www.pro-gard.com

We have been using an older version of their mount for about 3 years and it works great. The newer one is even better for the new features. Good luck.

------------------
Patrick
Old December 22, 1998, 01:38 PM   #7
Kodiac

A crafty kydex man could mould a sheild that could be adapted to an existing lock...
I think the best thing may be a trunk mount, where such things are not needed.

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
[email protected]

Old January 15, 1999, 02:06 AM   #8
Jeff Thomas

Patrick - thanks for the web site URL. Looks like what we need.
Old January 16, 1999, 01:43 AM   #9
Patrick

Happy to help Jeff, Lord knows there have plenty of people at TFL to help me with my questions.

Patrick

Old January 16, 1999, 02:46 AM   #10
Mikep

The PRO GUARD seems the most likely candidate from what I've seen so far. It would take some trimming though of the lower guard to allow for clearance of the Redi-Mag. Other than that, it looks like a great unit.

I believe Galls also sells this particular unit, for about the same price.

Again, thanks for the responses and as always, .... stay safe out there.

[This message has been edited by Mikep (edited 01-16-99).]