The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2015, 07:16 PM   #26
Wendyj

Mobuck I've never shot any factory ammo in it. I don't have any military brass. Got Hornady Norma. And Lake City brass. I haven't bought any factory ammo since started reloading except for 357 critical defense loads.
Old June 23, 2015, 09:52 PM   #27
603Country

Mobuck is right. Buy some factory rounds and shoot them. If all is well with them, then the basic problem would be your reloading. I suspect that the problem is user error, but we (the forum folk) can't look over your shoulder while you reload.
Old June 23, 2015, 11:14 PM   #28
condor bravo

This situation has happened only four times (four shots) and since we have given it our best shots and ideas with no real obvious leads developed towards a cause and solution, it may be time to dismiss it as a viable problem. Perhaps just a flukish one-time thing that was self-correcting. But should the problem happen again, always happy and willing of course to return for additional consideration or continuing to suggest new ideas. But it sounds like the situation might be resolved by a barrel replacement.

Last edited by condor bravo; June 23, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old June 24, 2015, 02:43 PM   #29
Wendyj

Sure do appreciate all your comments and posts. Loaded a few more of each brass and no stuck bolt. Even climbed the ladder with some Varget at max pressure. No issues.
Old June 24, 2015, 07:17 PM   #30
Slamfire

Quote:
Sure do appreciate all your comments and posts. Loaded a few more of each brass and no stuck bolt. Even climbed the ladder with some Varget at max pressure. No issues
My guess, your scale was off. You were throwing more powder than you thought.
Old June 24, 2015, 07:28 PM   #31
Wendyj

Was using 2 scales. Only been loading about 4 months. Every charge weighed on Lee Vernier scale and verified on Franklin Arsenal digital. Unless both scales are wrong showing same charge it shouldn't be an issue. Savage is gone now. Already had the Tikka in 308. Picked up a Ruger 243 for $50.00 extra on trade. Now thatBoyd makes stocks for the American rifle I probably saved some money. And I have my trigger at 3.1 pounds myself. I know a lot of people bash the Ruger American but my last one was a great shooter. I didn't care much for the 18 inch barrel. That turned into a Tikka.