The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 17, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
baddarryl

ISPSCA or something?

Hi all. I was at an IDPA match sunday and was talking with someone that kept mentioning Ipsca I thought. Maybe it was USPCA I don't know. Said it was much like IDPA except you decided how to run the course and it was based more on speed. Sounded fun. Any idea what he was talking about?
Old June 17, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: ISPSCA or something?

The rest of the world knows it as IPSC (said ipsik), but we here in the US call it USPSA.

And yes, it is lots of fun. The rules are less stringent than IDPA, and round counts are usually considerably higher. It is more fast paced and I definitely enjoy it. This is from my 2nd USPSA match that I ever shot. If I could shoot it again I could easily cut down 5+ seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTgtsYWTjM

Last edited by allaroundhunter; June 17, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old June 18, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

choices

IDPA specifies structure, and rewards execution.

USPSA specifies parameters, and rewards proper planning AND execution.

Simple language: IDPA tells you what to do. USPSA allows you to do what you want.

USPSA shooting allows a shooter to shoot just like IDPA, except the shooter will be crushed score-wise (hence a new sport called "IDPA").

Last edited by WESHOOT2; June 18, 2013 at 07:23 AM. Reason: come on, that was funny
Old June 19, 2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Navy joe

"Shoot 'em as you see 'em" being a fine USPSA course designer's instructions. Some clubs fall into almost a standards trap, run to box A, engage T1-T3, reload, move to box B etc. Rather not see that unless it's a classifier. Despite the internet telling you otherwise, most shooters can shoot IDPA and IPSC in the same weekend with the same people and have fun at both. Get out and try it. We promise not to laugh too much at your shoot me first vest.
Old June 19, 2013, 07:13 AM   #5
kraigwy

Shoot them all.

Our club shoots every other Sunday but a different match. Bowling Pins, Steel, ICORE, USPSA, ISPSCA, three gun, etc.

I believe shooting all sorts of matches makes you a more rounded shooter.

Besides it keeps you from getting bored and complacent.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 19, 2013, 07:48 AM   #6
zincwarrior

Good point kraigw.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
SgtLumpy

I might like to shoot some organized matches but it seems pretty expensive, at least the clubs I find on the web.

$40 to join the club, $15-20 every week to shoot the practice stages, more to shoot the matches.

I know it costs to rent the range, buy insurance, buy targets etc. I'm not saying they charge too much. I just get more out of spending that same amount of money on ammo, regular range time, desert shooting etc. I got a little spoiled shooting matches with my former employer.

I see on a lot of club websites what seems like inactivity. When I look under the "What's New" section and they list stuff from 2008, I'm thinkin' they aren't that active.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 21, 2013, 03:31 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

Sgt. Lumpy, that is indeed expensive. Are you sure you must be a member of the range to shoot the match?

Many places near me do not require you to be a member to shoot the matches (and our local match fees are only about $20).

Shooting the practice stages might also not be a requirement. Give the match director a call or shoot him/her an email; they will help out a good bit.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Paid "practice stages" is a new one on me.

I'd pay a bit for somebody to hang and score targets for me; I guess if I were in a high cost of living area $15-$20 for live practice might not sound too bad.
As it is, I am on my own for practice and IDPA entry fees are $10-$15 for monthly club shoots. Which I can find nearly every week anyhow. Club membership is not required. The range is supposed to require you to join IDPA after your first match, but that policy is roundly ignored.

I doubt the USPSA around here is much different.
Old June 22, 2013, 07:18 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

still worth it

Still cheaper than golf, too (AND, intrinsic value!).
Old June 22, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
g.willikers

Unless you live within walking distance of the matches, and reload from old stock, the cost of the match itself is the least of it.
The closest one to us costs more to get there and back than the match fee.
And store bought ammo is easily twice that.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:44 AM   #12
lmccrock

Quote:
$40 to join the club, $15-20 every week to shoot the practice stages, more to shoot the matches.
Practice stages? Not sure what that is, but if it is "practice", pretty sure that is optional. My USPSA club charges $15/match for club members, and $20 otherwise. Of that, $5 to the host club, and $3 (I think) to USPSA. The rest is targets, props, etc. Oh, and the closest match is about 42 miles. I shoot a monthly 3-gun about 70 miles away.
Quote:
I know it costs to rent the range, buy insurance, buy targets etc. I'm not saying they charge too much. I just get more out of spending that same amount of money on ammo, regular range time, desert shooting etc. I got a little spoiled shooting matches with my former employer.
Nothing wrong with going to the desert to shoot, or for me, out back on my property. For me, there is more to shooting a match than just shooting. When the buzzer goes off, there is the additional mental challenge, does not matter if it is a changing course-of-fire like USPSA and IDPA, or a known course, like highpower. There is also camaraderie and hanging out with a great bunch of people.

Quote:
I see on a lot of club websites what seems like inactivity. When I look under the "What's New" section and they list stuff from 2008, I'm thinkin' they aren't that active.
I hear you, but they might be VERY active. At my club, I think we were too busy setting up and shooting matches to update the website.
Old July 21, 2013, 07:54 AM   #13
PawPaw

I belong to my local USPSA club, mainly to keep my handgun skills tuned and to support a club in the shooting sports. New shooters shoot their first match free, you don't have to be a member to shoot, and we try to welcome everybody who shows up. It helps to have a friend or acquaintance in the club for your first match, but it certainly isn't necessary.

Some folks think that clubs get a little clique-ish, but we're all there to have fun and shoot. I've not been with the club but a few months, but I've been made to feel very welcome. A gun club, like any club, is normally busy at the start of the match. Registering shooters, putting up targets, collecting fees and doing record keeping. We always have a new-shooter's meeting before the match begins to make sure that we go over safety rules, answer questions, and try to give someone an idea of what to expect. If a newby will excuse that and wait till we're squadded, he'll find that we're helpful, friendly, and courteous. Once you're assigned to a squad, we'll do everything we can do to make you feel welcome, answer questions, etc.

You're not going to win your first match. I'm not there to win matches, and if you shoot better than I do, I'll pat you on the back and congratulate you. In our club, like most clubs, we have a certain percentage of serious competitive shooters, a certain percentage of casual shooters and a certain percentage of old farts like me who want to support the club, have fun, and get out of the house one Saturday a month. To be honest, in most matches I don't even check the scores. I'm shooting against myself, to keep tuned on the handgun, and to enjoy the company of like-minded people. In my mind if I burn some powder, don't embarrass myself, and come home safe at the end of the day I'm a winner.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 21, 2013, 08:17 AM   #14
Herr Walther

When I participated in IDPA, that's pretty much why I was there too. Just to keep my skills up and have a good Saturday afternoon.

I didn't care if I won or lost as I was only competing against myself. I had a good time.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."