The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 13, 2013, 02:59 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

I would just like to add that when stopped (if armed) I inform, and ask the officer how he would like me to proceed. Then I do what he asks. IF he has me do something that's not right, the place to protest is to his administrators, or in court, if it comes to that. NOT at the scene.

police officers have to be in control of the situation. THEY have to know that. You knowing that doesn't do anything for their piece of mind.

If the law doesn't require you to infom, then its your choice. I think its a good choice, helps keep things under control. If the cop is going to freak because you HAVE a gun, that's beyond your control. Freaking the cop out because you were trying to HIDE a gun from him is in your control, and not a very good idea. Remember its not how we see things, its how the officer sees it. That is what determines what happens (and doesn't happen) on the scene. Their impressions determine their actions, why do something we all know will put them on edge?