The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
ocracokenc

Cleaning Lee carbide pistol dies

I was wondering if anybody cleans their dies? I have the Lee 45acp, 40sw/10mm carbide dies and I use the lee sizing lube mixed 10 to 1 with alcohol. I started to use lube after reading the Lee reloading manual. In it he says that with really clean brass it can help to use his lube mixed 10 to 1. I have been using wooden q-tips and straight alcohol and then a small amount of Rem-oil on a q-tip then several to remove all the residue. I am wondering if this can cause problems or is it ok? I do it after every use. Thanks
Old April 6, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
jag2

Should be okay. I clean mine out occasionally with CLR or Kroil. I even use a little One Shot on my 9mm even with carbide dies, just makes it a little easier. 45 ACP is okay without it. A little cleaning and lube never hurt anything.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Fire_Moose

Re: Cleaning Lee carbide pistol dies

I thought it was 10:1 with water....

That's what I've been using. Dont have the Lee book to double check. Any help?
Old April 7, 2013, 07:22 AM   #4
ocracokenc

In the Lee Moderen reloading second edition on page 52 Richards writes this" Carbide dies usually eliminate the need to lubricate the cases. There are exceptions. If cases are excessively clean, some of the brass will rub off on the carbide. The dirt, soot, oxides and oil on the case keeps the case from galling the carbide. None of the foreign matter on the brass case is hard enough to damage your die. If you clean your brass in a vibrator with fresh media, you may need a slight amount of lube. You can even use a light spray of furniture polish. Lubricating your cases with the lee sizing lube as it comes from the tube is gross over kill. Dilute it with 10 parts water or even better use rubbing alcohol."
Old April 7, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
I was wondering if anybody cleans their dies?
Only the seating die, when I notice that bullet lube has built up in it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 7, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Fire_Moose

Re: Cleaning Lee carbide pistol dies

Thanks ocra.