The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
lamarw

Remington R1 1911 & the Platinum Plan

Remington provided the Platinum Plan with my R1 I purchased last December. They send you a UPS Overnight shipping label to return the pistol within the first year for a free cleaning and inspection. The Platinum Plan also has a couple of other benefits.

I shipped it off today and will let you know how things go with it. It has been pretty much a problem free pistol with close to a thousand round through it. There has been no failures to feed; although I had a couple of magazines which did not feed the last round in the mag. This happened several hundred rounds ago and seems to of corrected itself. All the rounds through it have been reloads to include round nose and hollow points.

I have no complaints and did not indicate any in my shipment. I will let everyone know how the Platinum Experience goes.

Last edited by lamarw; December 10, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2
thedudeabides

It's expensive for a cleaning job. For them. I wanted a trigger job, my stock trigger was junk.

I had a pistolsmith tune up my R1 and refinish it in bitone black and flat earth, instead.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3
lamarw

I had no problems and requested no additional services. I simply sent it in for a cleaning and inspection since if was free with the pistol puchase.

I think the only thing I may want to ever change is the grips. Otherwise, it has been a keeper.

Last edited by lamarw; December 12, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
LockedBreech

Really liked the R1S I played with at the gun store. Seemed well-built for the price point.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Will be looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'll be doing the same thing once my year is up on my R1.

I might see about them doing a trigger job on it while they're at it. It's not bad. But most of my guns have had trigger work of some sort. An OCD thing of mine...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 17, 2012, 06:37 PM   #6
lamarw

The pistol was received by Reminton on Dec. 11th, and I received it back today Dec. 18th.

They cleaned, inspected and with their inspection replaced a grip screw bushing.

In my opinion excellent service. I am a very happy customer/owner.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:29 PM   #7
shuler13

That's good to hear.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:39 PM   #8
BarryLee

Sounds like a good way for them to do a quality check on their products and if they notice a problem they can get ahead of it.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 17, 2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

One week total turn-time. Nice!

I wonder if they do trigger jobs...hmmm...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 17, 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
The pistol was received by Reminton on Dec. 11th, and I received it back today Dec. 18th.

They cleaned, inspected and with their inspection replaced a grip screw bushing.

In my opinion excellent service. I am a very happy customer/owner.
That's solid service. Nice.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:13 PM   #11
lamarw

This was less than a week including shipping time and the weekend.

I don't know, but it smells factory new. Kind of like a new car. LOL It must be the oil they use. I suppose I should break it down and clean/oil it before shooting like I do all new guns. The return form states the technican cleaned fired and checked over the pistol.

There were blocks on the form they send you to request services. I think you might want to inquire about the price of trigger work and other services when you call for the free shipping labels. At least the shipping will be free.

The Platinum Plan does provide for free shipping with any warranty work.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:56 AM   #12
PetahW

I bought a new Standard R1 this last March (2012), and have run about 1500 rounds of hardball through it so far, w/o issue one.

The only change I've made was to swap out the issue long spur Gov't Model hammer for an old-style Commander rowel-type hammer from Caspian Arms, just because I prefer rowel hammers.

The only other things I've done is to clean it when it's dirty, lube it when it's dry, and feed it when it's hungry.

I find the R1 to be accurate (although not of target quality) and reliable out of the box, and am glad I spent the $575 OTD for it.

Old December 24, 2012, 12:55 PM   #13
DavidB2

Platinum Plan for second owner

I just did a great trade for an R1. The original owner only put about 2 mags at most through the pistol. He never sent the warranty card or info into Remington. As the second owner can I get the benefits of the platinum plan; or can it only go to original owner?
Old December 24, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
lamarw

I do know Remington checked my warranty registration prior to sending me the overnight mailing pouch. I supsect the answer is no.

You might contact Remington Customer Service and see if they will let you register the pistol for warranty. Do you know when and where the pistol was originally purchased?

If they allow you to, then it has to be sent in within 1 year of purchase. Then the pistol also receives free shipping anytime there is a warranty claim within the life of the owner.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:29 PM   #15
berettaprofessor

I never heard of this plan and I don't know how much I like the idea of shipping my gun back and forth. How do the rest of you feel about the dangers of loss or damage?
Old December 25, 2012, 12:41 PM   #16
dgludwig

I don't know if Remington includes insurance with their UPS shipping label or not. If not, it'd be a simple thing to pay UPS for insurance costs before having it shipped.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:50 PM   #17
lamarw

The Platinum Plan was free with my purchase of the new R1. The initial return is one time within the first year of ownership. The shipping packet is sent to you and is for UPS overnight shipping with tracking. The purpose is to factory inspect, clean and correct any owner concerns. I dropped it off on a Monday mornng, and Remington received it the next morning at 10:40 AM.

I had the pistol back within six days of their receipt (the following Monday).

The Platinum Plan provides for the same type free shipping for any future warranty claim repair for the life of the original owner. In case of a warranty claim, the factory is to repair and return your pistol within 7 days.

It sure beats my experience with a Bersa pistol warranty claim. I had to pay the cost of shipping (over thirty dollars), and it took almost a month to receive the pistol back.

I appreciate your concern, but it went very smoothly in my experience with the Remington R1. I am a satisfied owner.