The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Deer Slayer 270

Wrinkles on shoulder after full sizing 7.62X54R???

I just reloaded some 7.62 X 54R PPU brass for the first time and I noticed something that I had never noticed before reloading other calibers. There is big wrinkles on the shoulder of every piece of brass!!! I am not sure why that is. I am thinking it is from being stretched because I am using a larger expander pin, 0.312 instead of 0.308 that the Lee die origninally came with. But the brass was loaded with 0.310 bullets originally so they are not being opened up that much more!!

Does any body know why I am getting these wrinkles and if anything can be done about it? The wrinkles are along the length of the brass. I tell you I am not too crazy about this Serbian brass (PPU), I have a suspicious feeling that the quality of the brass has something to do with it too.

Thanks.
Old December 27, 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
rattletrap1970

It's called oil canning, among other things. It's from too much lube on the brass. Oil is non compressible, so when it accumulates on the shoulder (or anywhere else for that matter) and has no place to go, it dents the brass.
Just back off on the lube.

If it isn't an over lubing issue, check for foreign material in your die. Out on a limb, if it isn't that, make sure it is the right sizing die for the right brass used in the right rifle.
Old December 27, 2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Deer Slayer 270

There is no issue of not being the right die or anything like that. As far as too much lube, I didn't think I put too much lube on it. I rolled it on RCBS pad as I do all the time for all other calibers I reload for. it was just enought where you could barely feel the lubrications with your fingers. But why is it doing this with this caliber if the lube is the same as all other calibers I reload which don't exhibit the same wrinkles?
Old December 27, 2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Saltydog235

Is it a full wrinkle or a dent? If its a dent then typically its too much lube, don't know about others but I prefer areosol lube when I can over a pad. If its a wrinkle then your die may not be adjusted properly. I wouldn't attempt to shoot the brass if it is deformed very much.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Locoweed

I have seen wrinkles on shoulders from crimping too tight... the crimper and bullet seater are working together to force the neck of the case back. Will your rounds chamber?
Old December 27, 2010, 09:38 PM   #6
t45

As said above, it is most likely excessive lube.
Old December 28, 2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Toolman

A larger expander ball can stretch the neck when it's retracted form the case, making it longer. Then when it's crimped its shoved back down & the case wrinkles.
Wrinkles also depend on the crimp die you're using. If using an improperly adjusted roll crimp die, it could 'roll' down enough to wrinkle the case.
A collet crimp die goes straight in, not putting pressure downward on the case.
I'd say too much crimp is the culprit here, or case length is out of spec.
Too much lube would cause case dents.
Old December 29, 2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Stargazer

Try this, next time you reload some roll the case full on the pad for the body of the case but on the neck only roll the top 1/16" to put a band of lube around the top of the neck. Do not lube the entire neck. Once the neck hits the die it will spread the lube down and with just enough on the neck to size OK it will not puddle the lube on the shoulder. Been there, done that.

M70 Web Page
Old December 29, 2010, 03:00 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Does any body know why I am getting these wrinkles and if anything can be done about it? The wrinkles are along the length of the brass. I tell you I am not too crazy about this Serbian brass (PPU), I have a suspicious feeling that the quality of the brass has something to do with it too.
PPU is my preferred brass for 7.62x54R. Even if it wasn't, there aren't many choices for alternatives. They draw and stamp 7.62x54R brass for Hornady, Winchester, and a few other major brands; as well as almost every Euro brand that's common in the U.S. The only major exception is Lapua.

At one time, I made a rough estimate of market dominance of PPU brass in my area and on major internet retailer's websites. With more than 35 brand names, PPU accounted for over 80% of the brass (with most of the rest being steel cases).

Your larger expander won't cause these issues. I would say it's:
A) Too much lube.
B) A wickedly oversized, and out-of-round chamber in your rifle.
C) Bad luck, and a bad batch of brass (combined with option B).

Have you ever done a chamber cast of that rifle?
Old December 29, 2010, 03:23 PM   #10
William T. Watts

Lube on the neck or shoulder is not desireable nor needed for full length sizing, further, cases that that are wrinkled on the shoulder may split/crack on firing! I never use a lube pad because its easy to apply to much lube, I twirl the case with my fingers (L/hand) and apply lube with fingers with my right hand. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; December 29, 2010 at 03:35 PM.