The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 17, 2006, 08:27 AM   #1
j-framer

Any experience with Eagle grips

Hello Friends,

I am planning on buying a pair of Eagle Secret Service checkered ebony revolver grips for my S&W 640-3 in the near future.

Although a search of TFL didn't turn up much information about Eagle, my research elsewhere uncovered a large number of negative reviews from very dissatisfied customers. Most of the complaints related to the fit (or lack of it) of Eagle's wood grips.

A savvy buyer would probably turn his back at this point, but the appeal of ebony is so great that I'm thinking of forging ahead anyway and risking the $100.00 on something that may not fit. Although I work extensively with many woods (scratch-built ship models) and can therefore fit them myself, I would rather not go through the hassle, particularly at this price.

Could anyone relate his/her Eagle grip experiences or share any reliable quality control information about Eagle?

Thanks ahead of time,
Fearful in Massachusetts
Old August 17, 2006, 08:49 AM   #2
918v

The one and only pair of grips I bought from them did not fit my gun well. The factory grips were much better. I sent them back.
Old August 17, 2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Striker

j-framer,

I'm 2 for 6 with Eagle grips.

A couple of Christmas's ago I treated myself to 3 pair (SP-101, J frame, and Tomcat) ordered directly from Eagle. The SP grips had significant fore and aft movement after installation. The J frame grips were not inletted properly and would not fit on any of the 4 J-frames on hand. The Tomcat grips also were not inletted for the long safety, dispite discussion on that point when placing the order. Result? All sent back and 45 days of phone tag to get my credit card refund. To add insult to injury, no remimbursement of the shipping costs either way.

I've got 2 keepers, recently purchased from a gunshop, that I was able to try on the guns that ended up wearing them. However, A third pair for a Taurus Snubbie purchased at the same time, cracked under recoil after 20 rounds or so, (Dealer took them back).

If you get a good pair, they are really nice. But my experience is that the quality control leaves much to be desired at this time.

You would be wise to remain "Fearful in Massachusetts".

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old August 17, 2006, 09:40 AM   #4
JoeHatley

I bought a set of "Gunfighter" grips for my Bis-hawk project. They were back ordered for months, and when they finally came in they were quite undersized for my frame. They went on okay, just looked like they had been shrunk a bit in all dimensions.

I used them for a while then replaced them with Ruger factory grips. They are collecting dust in my parts bin now.

Joe
Old August 17, 2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Pappy John

I bought two pair of Heritage grips for my N-frame revolvers. Both needed minor fitting adjustments, accomplished with file and sandpaper. I don't expect every gun frame to be exactly alike, so I didn't get my knickers in a twist about it. I'm happy with the results.
Old August 17, 2006, 11:17 AM   #6
j-framer

Darn, that is discouraging. It seems that, from both your collective comments and the other opinions I've heard, there are actually more negative reviews than positive ones out there! Even with very poor quality control, usually a manufacturing operation can break 50% on the satisfaction scale. At this rate, how are they staying afloat?

I've heard all sorts of scuttlebutt about Eagle, including the rumor that the grips are manufactured in India (not necessarily bad, but a homegrown product would be preferred...).

I'm kind of in a dilemma here, because:

Spegels are exquisite, but nearly unobtainable at present
Ahrends have excellent fit/finish reputation, but appear to be un-ergonomically shaped
Nill I don't know anything about and there isn't a lot of info out there
Hogue--well, maybe that's an option

In addition, none of the above makers, I believe (with the exception of Spegel custom orders), offer ebony. Maybe I'll stop being picky and go with checkered wood Hogues.
Old August 17, 2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Striker

Well, don't know if it is rumor or not, but the Eagles I have are both marked "India" on the inside!

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old August 17, 2006, 11:35 AM   #8
ScottsGT

Oh great! I just dropped a USPS MO in the mail yesterday for a set of Ultra Ivorys for my Ruger New Vaquero.
Hope I'm lucky.
Old August 17, 2006, 11:36 AM   #9
essexcounty

My experience is limiter to one pair that I put on a 2" Smith Kit Gun. Fit, finish and design were supurbe. I wish I had thought ahead and kept them when I sold the gun. Maybe I was one of the fortunate few........Essex
Old August 17, 2006, 12:23 PM   #10
Slyster

I bought a pair of combat grooved checkered rosewood grips for my GP100. One word: JUNK! They were a horrible fit. For that kind of money, there is no excuse! The grips come in 2 halfs and when you put them together, the finger grooves didn't line up at all.

I have one suggestion for you: Hogue! They have superb wood grips. They are one piece and look and feel fantastic. These are the exact grips that replaced my Eagle Grips:

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merc...tid=391&step=4

Awesome grips! Here is a link to the online store:

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml

Hope that helps.
Old August 17, 2006, 01:12 PM   #11
jlundy46

I bought a set of Heritage grips for my S&W 686 Plus. Shipment was slow, but the grips are really nice and fit well. After, I ordered them, I found out for $35 more you can get them with the S&W logo . I have a pair of Ahrends as well, and they are very nice, but I like the feel of the Eagles better.

John
Oregon State Police

My day begins when your day ends
Old August 17, 2006, 02:16 PM   #12
GrandmasterB

I have bought a few sets of Eagle grips. They are expensive and none of them fit right out of the box. I had to do some inletting and some sanding to get them right. But for some guns and grip styles ("secret service" style for Ruger Speed Six) Eagle is the only game in town.

On the other hand, Hogue grips have always fit perfectly, and in my experience they are even more beautiful with better quality wood. And if you go to www.hogueauction.com you can get factory 2nds that are excellent for great prices.

For a J-frame boot grip, you might also try Craig Spegel. No website, but his grips are REALLY nice and fit right the first time.
Old August 17, 2006, 02:48 PM   #13
Renfield

I need to buy some more for my S&W model 29-2 .44 magnum

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old August 17, 2006, 02:51 PM   #14
j-framer

I appreciate having all of you take the time to respond.

I really don't know what the upshot will be here; if I end up risking the purchase, I will let you know what transpires when the grips reach me. Sounds like I can expect to get my miniature gouge set out, at the very least.

Thanks again.
Old August 18, 2006, 11:13 AM   #15
bulbboy

I have bought three pairs of grips from Eagle Grips. I didn't have a problem with any of them and they turned out beautiful! My only problem with them is that I couldn't afford the Stag or American Elk grips for my SP101!!!
This is a set of Ebony Secret Service for my SP101

This was a set of Rosewood Secret Service on my previous SP101

This is a beautiful set of Ebony grips for my Walther PPK/s

I might also suggest grips 4 guns and Ahrend grips
www.grips4guns.com for my SW 642

Morado fingergrips for my SW 10-8 (Ahrend grips)

www.ahrendsgripsusa.com
Old August 18, 2006, 12:31 PM   #16
cochise

I bought two sets from Smith and Wesson. I don't know who makes them but they are superb in fit and cratmanship. I know, I bought grips for $275.00 and ..........a bit less and they were NOT as good in fit and finish from this what I purchased on this web site for a third the price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .................................................................

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...6259&training=
Old August 18, 2006, 08:44 PM   #17
odessastraight

The Eagle Secret Service grips on my CA Bulldog aren't a perfect fit, but they are well worth the money. I wouldn't have any other grip on my pocket CCW.
Old August 19, 2006, 07:39 PM   #18
jlundy46

Here is my 686 Plus with the Eagle grips. I think both the Eagle and Ahrends look great, but like the way the Eagles feel.

John
Oregon State Police

Old August 19, 2006, 07:54 PM   #19
bulbboy

John - Very nice gun!!
Old August 19, 2006, 08:12 PM   #20
jlundy46

Thanks Bulbboy. I really like it.

John
Oregon State Police

Old August 21, 2006, 08:08 AM   #21
j-framer

Gee, it's good to see a couple positive reviews coming in. This relaxes my grim countenance a little bit, because I went ahead with the purchase and sent in >$100.00 to Eagle a couple days ago. Thanks to all those who posted--it is very nice to view pictures, as always.
Old November 20, 2020, 02:18 PM   #22
doc1958

Rosewood Secret Service grips + Charter Arms .38

I cannot believe just how beautiful these grips are for my Charter Arms .38 Special. For years I always put those high grade rubber grips on all my wheel guns just because someone told me that was the only way to carry a wheel gun. They never seemed to reduce "felt recoil" to me. And they always seemed loose in my grip too. Besides making every wheel gun I own look ugly. I actually know the ex-head of the Presidential Detail of the Secret Service and he said that his people used a special wooden grip on all their backup wheel guns. He told me about Eagle Grips and my search was ended. My snubbie disappears on my ankle or in my pocket now. My groups are tight and on target. The gun is now an extension of my hand, with a natural point of aim. I understand completley
why he swares by them! They turned a functional, flat black and ugly piece of steel into a beautiful and highly prized everyday carry. This is something that gives me great confidence in my choice of what will defend me and my loved ones.
Old November 20, 2020, 02:48 PM   #23
shurshot

I have a set of Eagle target grips on my Dad's Ruger .22 semi pistol, beautiful wood with a thumb rest. Bought them many years ago (at least 20?), at a gun show. I over paid (gun show prices), but pertaining to quality, I'm impressed. Rugged, deep checkering, nice color. I believe its Rosewood.
Old November 20, 2020, 02:52 PM   #24
DaleA

Resurrecting a 14 year old thread on grips???
Old November 20, 2020, 05:35 PM   #25
PolarFBear

I thought EAGLE GRIPS was out of business??????