The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 3, 2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Black Adder LXX

Thoughts on the Marlin 336

Hello all,

I was at the local gun store last week and saw some really nice lever action rifles that got me drooling. So I started looking around and came across the Marlin 336 series that look like they're good for the money. I read in a couple of places that Marlin had some big QC issues but I'm not sure if those days are over or not. Can anyone speak to the quality of the new 336 series?
Old November 3, 2017, 05:16 PM   #2
CLYA

I picked up a new 2016 built 336 stainless steel (30-30) about four months ago. I did so, because the 45-70 I purchased a few months before, has worked out so well. I'm very aware of the previous issues. The only reason I decided on the 45-70 was because I wanted a side loader, and a fairly good inspection showed it wasn't suffering from those QC issues. It was also built in the summer of 2016.

At this point, both rifles have had 100's of rounds shot through them. Factory and reloads. They haven't failed to function. Metal to wood fit is good on both of them. I did do some smoothing on the stainless steel lever edges. The 45-70's blued lever was fine.
Old November 3, 2017, 05:32 PM   #3
s3779m

I picked one up from academy a couple of years ago to keep in the truck when I am out in the pasture. I have a couple of hundred rounds and no failures. IMHO, it is really a pretty good gun.
Old November 3, 2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Scorch

The enduring stories of the QC issues keep getting dredged up by all the internet experts. For about a year after the Marlin takeover by Remington, I was seeing quite a few of the Remington Marlins. Headspace issues, loose stocks, hard feeding, you name it. None of these were incapacitating, just troublesome for a new gun. Haven't seen many Remlins for about 3 years now, so I will say that the issue has evaporated. Enjoy your Marlin.
Old November 3, 2017, 07:47 PM   #5
Black Adder LXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
The enduring stories of the QC issues keep getting dredged up by all the internet experts. For about a year after the Marlin takeover by Remington, I was seeing quite a few of the Remington Marlins. Headspace issues, loose stocks, hard feeding, you name it. None of these were incapacitating, just troublesome for a new gun. Haven't seen many Remlins for about 3 years now, so I will say that the issue has evaporated. Enjoy your Marlin.
I had a suspicion that it was primarily due to the year you are referring to. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old November 3, 2017, 08:09 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

It's a matter of whether or not you want to take a chance on the new rifle lottery, or browse the used racks for something that's broken in and showing whether or not it was maintained and cared for.

Remington is getting better at making lever guns, but they aren't good enough yet - in my opinion.
...Things are much, much better than the 'dark times', but still showing ridiculous problems too frequently. (Like cartridge carriers bending with normal use, levers that were never milled on the top, or locking bolts deforming within 100 rounds, because they were never hardened.) And, at least over the last year and a half, the biggest problem seems to be bad barrels.

My Marlins currently range from 1946 to 2017. Most showed one or more problems from initial manufacture.

There really is no such thing as a "perfect" factory rifle. They all have something wrong, when compared to an ideal specimen. But when the Remlins have something wrong, it's usually a big thing.

As for my 2017 Remlin 336W?...
Just like a bushel of other guys with the same problem on the MarlinOwners forums, it's currently shooting 12-18 inch groups at 50 yards.
Is that good enough for you?
It's not good enough for me.

I bought a basket case '69 336 that had 4 inches of badly rusted barrel. Even before I chopped it, it shot better than that 336W.
Old November 4, 2017, 01:04 PM   #7
jumpingeezer

I would look for a good used rifle rather than buy a new Remlin. There are many good used Marlins to be had at most gun shows. This is just my opinion but I have compared the newly manufactured Remlins to my seven Marlins that date from the 1960's to the mid 1980's and there is a great difference in the fit and finish. I will admit that I have not had the opportunity to actually fire any of the Remington made rifles and my opinion is based on appearance only.

The Marlin made rifles will have JM stamped on the barrel just forward of the receiver. Some are stamped on the left and some on the right. Weird isn't it?
Old November 4, 2017, 01:36 PM   #8
jmr40

They made about 7 million of them and there are good used rifles all over the place selling for less than new ones. While I think concerns over the new rifles are over stated I prefer the older versions for a variety of reasons.

Over the years there have been very minor, even subtle changes to stock design and other things. For my money the ones made in the 1970's and 80's are my favorites. The safety was added in 1982 or 1983, so between 1972-1982

From 1972 to present you subtract the 1st 2 digits of the SN from 100 to determine year of manufacture. So anything with the 1st 2 digits 18-28 would be 1982 to 1972.

Winston Churchill
Old November 4, 2017, 01:40 PM   #9
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingeezer View Post
I would look for a good used rifle rather than buy a new Remlin. There are many good used Marlins to be had at most gun shows. This is just my opinion but I have compared the newly manufactured Remlins to my seven Marlins that date from the 1960's to the mid 1980's and there is a great difference in the fit and finish. I will admit that I have not had the opportunity to actually fire any of the Remington made rifles and my opinion is based on appearance only.

The Marlin made rifles will have JM stamped on the barrel just forward of the receiver. Some are stamped on the left and some on the right. Weird isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
They made about 7 million of them and there are good used rifles all over the place selling for less than new ones. While I think concerns over the new rifles are over stated I prefer the older versions for a variety of reasons.

Over the years there have been very minor, even subtle changes to stock design and other things. For my money the ones made in the 1970's and 80's are my favorites. The safety was added in 1982 or 1983, so between 1972-1982

From 1972 to present you subtract the 1st 2 digits of the SN from 100 to determine year of manufacture. So anything with the 1st 2 digits 18-28 would be 1982 to 1972.
This is the advice I would give also.

Only older JM Marlins for me. I still have the first one I bought new in '76.
Old November 4, 2017, 03:05 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:

The '60s and '70s rifles have treated me well, too.
But I think quality was just as good from about '96 to '06 or so. (04 through 94 prefixes)

The cross-bolt-safety (CBS) doesn't really bother me. But I don't use it; so I generally avoid the CBS rifles, and delete the safety on those that I do end up with.

Minor correction to date stamps:
The 'code' started part way through '73.
So '72s were still stamped "72" for the serial number prefix.
And since '73 saw both dating methods, they can be found with a prefix of either "73" or "27" (100 minus 73).
The change is apocryphally attributed to being so that buyers couldn't spot NOS rifles and leave them languishing on dealers' racks in favor of a newer one.

In minor defense of Remington (I'm gagging, just typing that)...
Two of the nastiest "JM" Marlins/Glenfields that I have owned were '70 and '76 models. Terrible fit and finish, and really, really rough machining. One of them, a .30-30, even had a barrel that followed the .219 Zipper "bull barrel" contour to the rear barrel band, and then transitioned to a standard contour out to the muzzle. It should have never left the factory. (That rifle now has so many Marlin, Glenfield, and Remlin parts on it, that it is called the "Gremlin". )

No rifle is perfect.
But it's usually easier to spot the basket cases and good rifles on the used rack, than when everything is brand new.
Old November 4, 2017, 05:38 PM   #11
GarandTd

I have no experience with the modern run of Remington-Marlin lever guns so I can't offer anything good or bad on them.

My son was gifted a mid 60's pre-safety JM Marlin 336c by a family member that wasn't interested in keeping it. It is nothing short of amazing. It impresses me every time I handle or fire it. Watch used racks and you may find a nice classic for less $ than the new ones.
Old November 4, 2017, 05:51 PM   #12
CLYA

2016 model. Well over 100 rounds, more likely 4 or 5 times that, and no parts deforming. Pays to reload! And no, 12-18" groups at 50 yrds would not be accepted. I've actually thrown a scope on mine, something I said I wouldn't do, just for more precise accuracy at 100 yrds. That will be temporary, I think.

Looked at a few JM Marlins today, at the gun show. Will have to find a trade in from someone getting rid of their stash at old age, at a pawn shop, lgs, I suppose. Perhaps my stainless steel model, which is a bit more expensive, is made a shade better. I don't know, but it sure looks good. This one had a very good metal to wood fit, and the machined innards even look right. Did dull the edges of the lever, as mentioned previously.
Old November 5, 2017, 07:46 AM   #13
Scoits

Can anyone comment or recommend a receiver or tang sight they are using on their marlin
Old November 5, 2017, 08:45 AM   #14
2damnold4this

You might like Skinner Sights
Old November 5, 2017, 09:19 AM   #15
Pilot

I have a 336 I bought new in 1994, and it has been a good deer rifle for a woods gun. If you are concerned about Remlin quality, there is always a plethora of used, older JM proofed 336's on the market at very reasonable prices.
Old November 6, 2017, 10:54 PM   #16
weblance

I have two 2017 made Remlins, an 1894 44 Magnum, and an 1895 45-70 Guide Gun. Both are decent rifles, nothing fancy, but solid, and accurate. I have around 600 rounds through the 44, and a couple hundred through the 45-70. I would buy either again in a minute. I think they are a good value, and I see nothing sub standard about either.

I have Williams Fool Proof peep sights on both, and find that sight to be excellent.
Old November 7, 2017, 12:16 AM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If you like those button pushing to shoot lever rifles. That's fine with me and most likely everyone else. But if wanting a sweet JM 336 model? "Frankly its hard to come by a clean decent one."
Although I highly suggest. Buy your JM from Cabela's Library of Guns. Spendy nice Blue Book Of Guns graded rifles and undoubtedly very pleasing to the eye to those who can and cannot afford alike.

As someone here on The F/L Form said: "Buy once. Cry once. Be happy there after."

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; November 7, 2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old November 7, 2017, 10:27 AM   #18
THE

Hi,

I am new here and find this forum to be very informative and looks like good place to just hang out. I have been lurking for quite a while and just registered a couple of days ago. I did not own a lever gun until last month. I was looking at one of the Wal Mart Remington Made 336W Marlin`s and a 2002 Marlin 336 at a local pawn shop. After comparing the two I bought the 2002 Marlin. I guess I like the blued Marlin better and it was in 90% or better condition. I got it out the door for $300. It is a good shooter and I am pleased with my purchase.

I always wanted a lever gun and the purchase started me down the lever gun road. I think I am hooked. So a couple weeks later there is a local gun show and I just have to purchase another lever. Walking around the gun show I spy a Browning BLR 81 lite in 308 so I buy that. You know the Marlin needed a companion. Now it is two weeks later and I am walking around Scheels and I spy a Browning BLR White Gold Medallion in 308 in the display case. I get one of the sales staff over , point to the gun and say I take that one. It is an early Christmas present from the wife.

Ive told my bank account to take cover I see many more lever gun in my future and one of them will be a Wal Mart special 336W for $345.
Old November 7, 2017, 10:33 AM   #19
ilmonster

I too have had no issues with recently manufactured Marlins. I bought an 1895 in Nov. of 2015 and couldn't be happier. Wood to metal fit is tight, sights on straight, cycles smoothly, etc. I have put around 250 rounds of mostly handloaded 45-70 through it with no issues. Shoots 1.5" - 2" groups at 100 yds. Only mod's I've made is a Limbsaver recoil pad to replace the hard rubber butt pad and dropped in a Wild West trigger. Stock trigger was heavy, but so are half the rifles out there. Certainly not a mfg. defect. This rifle is built no better or worse than the 2006 1894C I also own (Marlin made). I'm so pleased, I'm considering a 336BL from Marlin/Remington (like I need another lever gun!). Let us know what you decide (and pics of course!).
Old November 7, 2017, 11:24 AM   #20
TrueBlue711

I got my Marlin 336 back in 2013. The store had 3 models side by side. I handled all three and each one had a noticable difference in quality. I think there was still a QC issue back then. I choose the best of the three (I didn't "settle". If I didn't think any of the three were good, I would have moved on) and have had good luck with it so far. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but no function issues and accuracy is good with the right ammo. It really likes the Hornady Leverevolution ammo.
I haven't looked into it, but I also heard Marlin got a handle on their QC issues in the past few years and are producing better products.
Old November 9, 2017, 06:31 PM   #21
ngzcaz

I have the 336 BL in 30/30 caliber. Its the newer issue ( circa 2009 ) and I have to say it shoots as well as anything I've owned at 100 yards. 3 shot groups that can be covered with a quarter is a good rifle. That's w/ Remington 150 grain Core Loks. Supposedly the 170 grain are more accurate. Even the laminated stock and scope grows on you after a while. I really enjoy shooting it. I also have a JM Marlin lever. The wood fitment is better but it certainly isn't a better shooter.