The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 1, 2016, 07:21 AM   #1
deerslayer303

Sidelocks and Bucks

Shot this guy this am with my Traditions Kentucky Rifle. Dropped him where he stood. He was 25 feet to the left of my stand. Had it charged with 90 grs KIK FFG .490 ball and .015 ticking patch. He did not take one step. Nice clean kill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old October 1, 2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Pahoo

The old ways do work

Slayer,
Thanks for the eye-candy and your shot-string. You got the job done with 90grns. loose, PRB, when so many folks are listing 50x2 & 3 pellets. Not many, but I have taken a number of deer in excess of 100yds and still never exceeded 95grns. If you would, can you also share with us, what kind of penetration you got? Again, nice work, he should eat well and thanks for your post ......

Be Safe !!!
Old October 1, 2016, 11:20 AM   #3
deerslayer303

I had to kind of shoot at a downward angle because he was so close to the stand. The ball went in at the top of his left shoulder crossed his body and exited toward the bottom rear of the right rib cage. He didn't take not one step. Bang, flop. This is the first deer I've taken with a PRB, I was blown away by how devastating it is. And this was only a .50 cal, I could only imagine a .54 200 plus grain ball.

Old October 1, 2016, 01:31 PM   #4
Model12Win

Nice. Hopefully it tastes good!
Old October 1, 2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
This is the first deer I've taken with a PRB, I was blown away by how devastating it is. And this was only a .50 cal, I could only imagine a .54 200 plus grain ball.
224 grains. If you ever go to a .54 you'll never look at a .50 again. Now I kind if wish I'd gone with a .58 instead of a .54 when I had my rifle built.
Old October 1, 2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

looks like someone will be eating venison steak & eggs for breakfast this weekend. Congratulations >well done.
Old October 2, 2016, 03:35 AM   #7
Old Stony

Congratulations....that is exactly how the black powder seasons should be...primitive type sidelocks. For many the season has become so warped with modern scoped rifles and imitation black powders that the whole concept of a primitive season has been lost.
I use sidelocks from .45 to .62 caliber and love the sport. You are definitely on the right track and doin' it right!
Old October 2, 2016, 10:28 AM   #8
deerslayer303

I started this whole black powder thing with an in line. A Traditions buck stalker to be exact. I quickly learned that, even though the inline was accurate and easy to load and clean it wasn't quite scratching the itch. It was basically the same as any modern scoped rifle. So I bought a side lock and never looked back. I enjoy them so much more. Even though that buck was only 140lbs, that was a trophy to me, all the prep work one goes through to get to the point to take a deer with one. The challenge of it is just Awesome. The sights are crude and I can't see them at late dusk, which with a scope I would still be able to shoot but that's ok. I think the 30-30 will stay at home the rest of this season and me and this here low budget Traditions Kentucky Rifle will be just fine. Here is another pic of the deer and I. I have a few doe tags to fill. So I need to get out there and shoot a couple fat nanny goats.

Last edited by deerslayer303; October 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old October 2, 2016, 03:53 PM   #9
BlackPowderBen

Congratulations!!