The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 18, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1
steve4102

Firearms Confiscation

On Fri 3/16, Obama signed and Executive Order, Under this order the heads of these cabinet level positions; Agriculture, Energy, Health and Human Services, Transportation, Defense and Commerce confiscate food, livestock, fertilizer, farm equipment, all forms of energy, water resources, all forms of civil transporation (meaning any vehicles, boats, planes), and any other materials, including construction materials from wherever they are available.
It appears that this EO gives him the power to take anything from anyone and distribute or destroy it as he sees fit. I believe it also includes firearms and ammunition.
Read the whole EO if you have the time and see if you see what I see.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...s-preparedness
Old March 18, 2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Salmoneye

Maybe if you could point to the section that worries you...
Old March 18, 2012, 07:59 AM   #3
steve4102

Quote:
Maybe if you could point to the section that worries you...
The whole ting worries me! Did you read it?
Old March 18, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
alloy

It's quite the impressive document, to wake up to this fine Sunday morn.
Old March 18, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
steve4102

More here.
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/45319
Old March 18, 2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Sparks1957

Wow, that is disturbing, especially when it's being done during a time of no crisis here at home.

I can certainly see the President issuing something like this if there were an invasion or a catastrophic disaster of some kind, but during peacetime? Wow.
Old March 18, 2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Baba Louie

The nerve. Imagine taking or limiting resources belonging to the people... oh wait. WWII. Things got rationed & handled like that didn't they? All for One, One for All, Chevrolet you now do not make automobiles, but tanks (or whatever). Tires? POL? Meat? National Speed Limit of 35 mph?

Sure. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

I like the water resources mentioned. Control all the water... Who owns the rain and snow again? Flash or all Floodings? Uncle Sam of course.

But then again, when Castro came to power, one of the regimes first acts was to empty all stores, warehouse, private corps stockpiles, etc, put it all in gov't warehouses (we'll just use your warehouses since you don't need the space any more unless we say you do) because it now belonged to "The People" (read State).

Peace is preparing for War, War (as we all know) is Peace, all that.

Firearms confiscation? Did not see it mentioned. But if S&W, Colt or Ruger suddenly were ordered to make cookie sheets by gov't decree... well then, we have something to ponder.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old March 18, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Master Blaster 2

Sure is interesting how the US Press keeps it quiet to protect the Whitehouse.
Old March 18, 2012, 09:57 AM   #9
WyMark

If you find that disturbing, you should read it's predecessor, EO 12919, signed by Bill Clinton in 1994.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi.../pdf/12919.pdf

That one also resulted in the confiscation of all firearms, but the Interwebz was in it's infancy so we just didn't know about it. I don't remember it either, but I probably drank more back then and didn't watch the news as much either.

If you compare the two documents, you may note that references to FEMA in the original have been replaced by Homeland Security, which you might know didn't exist back then. Other than that, they're almost word for word.

I don't see any mention of "firearms" anywhere in the original or the update, but then again I'm not really quite as paranoid either.
Old March 18, 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Frank Ettin
Staff

This is not firearms related.

Folks need to understand how to read an Executive Order before starting to panic.

This Executive Order is a statement of policy and instruction from the President, as the senior manager of the Executive Branch, to the organizational units that report to him. That's what all Executive Orders are.

This one provides instructions for implementing and operating under The Defense Production Act of 1950, as amended. This law was originally enacted as Public Law 81-774 in 1950. It has been amended various times since then, and, as amended, remains in force. There have been a series of Executive Orders on this topic issued by prior Presidents. This one from Obama supersedes those.

The scope, extent and application of this Executive Order and limited by the the underlying statute to which it refers. And no one can know what the Executive Order really means without also reading and referring to that statute. So discussion of the Executive Order without the statute is pretty meaningless.

In any case, it's not gun related and therefore off topic.
Closed Thread