The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 21, 2016, 11:22 PM   #1
Stick Man

Preferred Sidelock Barrel Length?

Whether Flintlock or Percussion, Jaeger, Kentucky Longrifle, or Hawken, what barrel length do you prefer? Also, what barrel width do you prefer for your rifle's caliber and do you prefer it swamped?
Finally, what barrel length would you suggest for a wooded, Western mountain environment?
Old September 22, 2016, 02:03 AM   #2
Hawg

I would prefer 34-36 for a Hawken and 42-44 for a long rifle. Both 1 inch across the flats. The Hawken would be a .54 or .58 and the long rifle would be a .50. I never had a swamped barrel, so don't know how I would like it. The plains rifles with barrels of 34-40 inches seemed to have worked well in the mountains but I would stay around 42. FWIW the barrel on my Hawken is a little short at 31 inches. I said when I had it built it was the one thing I could skimp on and replace later but it shoots too good as is

Last edited by Hawg; September 22, 2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old September 22, 2016, 10:13 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Tip: Just so you know the T/C Hawken models in 50 & 54 caliber. It's factory installed 1-48 barrel is 2" longer at (28") than the Renegades (26").
Although each model has the Quick Load Accurizor. That boring install removes 2" of rifling. Those shooting the Renegade 50 & 54s have 24" of overall barrel rifling.

Tip: Swamp lathed barrels are known to interfere with a rifled barrels harmonics. (So I've come to understand.)

I never got to where I prefer a certain barrel length. Although I do have different models of firearms from one manufacture that either shoot well or they don't. (>for me<)
For instance. Have a White Mtn Carbine in 54 cal w/21" barrel having a 1-48 twist & >Accurizor.< Which reduces the barrels rifling to 19". Rifle sucks in accuracy. "Better to throw a brick at the old barn door than waste my time shooting at it with that White Mtn carbine." I keep it as a reminder> never again buy another short barreled B/P carbine.

Have a 54 Hawkin that had a 28" barrel with a 1-48 twist which shot so so pretty good. (good for me is 100 yard 1-1/2 to 2" grouping accuracy)
Swapped out that 54s 1-48 barrel with a T/C Factory 1-66 Round Ball Only barrel. Gained 2" in length and sight plain (30")__ Yup!! again. Lost 2" of its rifling to the Accurizor install. 28" of overall rifling gets the job done.
Although that Rd Ball Barrel having a 1-66 twist rate is slightly more accurate than its predecessor w/1-48. But there is a draw back in such 1-66 rifling and lazier twists.
i.e. Unable to shoot bullets or sabot projectiles accurately can be a handi-cap for some hunter/shooters.

Quote:
Finally, what barrel length would you suggest for a wooded, Western mountain environment?
30 to 32" octagon is plenty. More barrel length only increases firearms weight and too slows its shooters reaction time. Where the big difference comes into play. >caliber chosen.
Old September 22, 2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Hawg

Sure Shot what I gather from his post is he's wanting to build one that's historically accurate.
Old September 22, 2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Could be Hawg.
But intuition tells me the fellow is very well informed. Perhaps looking to another's experience and/or opinions that may influence his build or more likely a high end purchase.
Old September 22, 2016, 01:52 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm getting old and I don't want to hold up a bar of iron very long. Make mine 28-32".
Old September 22, 2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Wyosmith

I prefer swamped or tapered for everything but a dedicated target rifle.
The balance of a swamped barrel is SO much better than a straight barrel for handling. For a target gun, the balance point should be forward so the "hang" of the rifle is forward to a point that the wobble of the sights are slow and sluggish. Slow and sluggish is a good thing on targets but never on game.

Not that you can't shoot good target groups with a tapered or swamped barrel, and you can shoot fast on game with a straight barrel too. But like someone shooting white tails in the heavy brush with a heavy M40X target rifle, or shooting course of fire in an NRA match with a M-70 feather weight, it can be done, and even done well, but the toll is not actually made for that specific job.

Now length is all about preference. American long rifles from the 1760 period to the 1810 period should have barrels about 41 to 46" long as a rule. Balance is not about length. It's about contours and knowing how to build a rifle. Here is a picture of me holding a rifle with a 62 cal 44" long swamped barrel.

As you can see, the balance is about like a fine English shotgun, even though the barrel is 2 times longer than a typical 30-06 of today.

On German Jaeger rifles the correct length is about 28" to 34"

On Planes rifles of the early period (1820 to 1830) barrels of 36 to 38 are common. One late period planes rifles (1840 to 1865) 32" is the average.

Last edited by Wyosmith; September 22, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old September 22, 2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Stick Man

Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm probably going to go with TVM. I've been emailing them, everything seems good, and they can get me a barrel more specific to my preferred specs from Rice than just their standard barrel. I have a feeling that I'll eventually end up with a rifle from Wyosmith, though. When I got in to regular rifle hunting I didn't end up with one style in one caliber in one action (which here would be lock style) so I don't see why I would with black powders. I've sent him some PMs and his prices seem extremely reasonable and he's very informative. No reason I'm not going with him first, it's only that I was already talking with TVM before I messaged him.

Hawg, not looking to build something as an exact replica, so that's not a concern. Just wondering what people like and what works for them. Thanks for your input.

I've done little more than hold muzzle loaders so far, some of them Hawkens, some of them Longrifles. in the bolt action community so much fuss is made about 2" inches of barrel length and corresponding hardiness that it amazes me these fellas who own them, old day Eastern woodsmen, and people in the West like the Corps of Discovery get/got by just find with these long things. There's no question that the shorter Hawken feels handier (at least in somebody's back yard), but a Kentucky Longrifle is just so freaking beautiful. And a well balanced 40+" just seems to feel good when aiming to me.
Choices, choices, choices!
Old September 22, 2016, 09:34 PM   #9
Wyosmith

There are 2 "TVMs".
One owned by Matt Avance
http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com/

and one by Jack Garner

.http://www.tennesseevalleymanufactur...t-us/about-us/

Which one are you going to?

Both do a good job.
Old September 22, 2016, 10:49 PM   #10
Bishop Creek

Wyosmith, you do beautiful work. I once had a custom made 1790s Rupp style rifle with a .50 cal 47" Getz swamped barrel. The balance was perfect.

Old September 22, 2016, 11:01 PM   #11
Wyosmith

"Once had..."
I don't think I'd have let that one go. It looks nice.

Thanks for the nice words.
Old September 22, 2016, 11:10 PM   #12
Bishop Creek

Yeah, I'm really sorry I let that one go. If I ever get another flintlock, I'll ask you to make it. My next one will probably be a French style fusil-de-chasse.
Old September 23, 2016, 01:52 AM   #13
Pathfinder45

Pardon my ignorance, but what does, "swamped", mean here?
Old September 23, 2016, 07:24 AM   #14
GeorgeStrickland

Swamped

Tapered and flared in an hourglass profile.
Old September 23, 2016, 08:20 AM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what does, "swamped", mean here?
Tapered from the breech til about 10 inches from the muzzle and then flares back out from there.
Old September 23, 2016, 12:52 PM   #16
Stick Man

Wyomsith, Matt Avance's company. Strongly leaning towards their Pennsylvania rifle.
Old September 23, 2016, 02:08 PM   #17
Wyosmith

Tell him Steve in Wyoming said hello.
Old September 23, 2016, 03:33 PM   #18
Stick Man

Can do.