The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2010, 04:32 PM   #76
myshoulderissore

At first, I thought this was a weird shotgun ammo question for misspelled bear hunting... Then I read it through. Now I have an opinion...

I do not have any problem with alcohol. I like it a lot. I won't play with guns if I have had more than a couple (seriously, 2-3) beers, and if I drink hard alcohol, I don't think about guns as soon as the bottle is visible.

However, at a range, where other people I don't know are, I agree, alcohol of any sort is best left to post-shooting. My problem isn't what I'll do with a bit of booze in me, I am neurotically safe with guns at all times. My concern is with those in the back half of the bell curve, who can't even be safe with firearms when sober.

I chalk it up to my "orange theory". I wear orange in the woods, not because I am afraid what I might shoot, but because I am afraid of whoever else is out there.
Old December 4, 2010, 05:57 AM   #77
Win_94

Quote:
And I have seen perfectly sober people act just as stupid, shooting the concrete shooting benches, the roof over the benches, blasting away so fast they hit nothing but air.......STUPID is stupid, drunk or sober.
My comment did not excuse dangerous behavior when sober.
Old December 4, 2010, 07:16 AM   #78
Double Naught Spy

You know, as hard as I have looked, I cannot find a single gun competition organization, hunting organization, or pro-gun organization that endorses the use of alcohol to improve a person's shooting and/or safety or advocates allowing people to be imbibing while shooting or immediately before shooting.

I wonder why that is.
Old December 4, 2010, 08:09 AM   #79
balin

If you wouldn't shoot after having a beer for safety reasons then I would think people should abide by the same rules before they get into a car and drive.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:56 PM   #80
langenc

Also, let's say you're done shooting and have a beer. Ya gonna get in your car and drive home?

Better to wait until you get home and have all the beer you want.
Quote from post #17!!

Yes some shoot, drink, drink some more and then drive home!! No shooting allowed while drinking but driving seems to be ok. Just dont understand. Our country kills thousands (and half kill thousands more) with alcohol and all we get are a shoulder shrug.

In my area we will soon have the snowmobiles come out. They like to ride an while and then stop for a drink-ride some more.... most years we have 40 killed with snowmobiles. I have often said "if 40 were killed during hunting season-the cry would be long and loud to stop hunting." With snowmobiles it is just "boys will be boys." Too bad they dont just kill/half kill themselves.
Ditto autos.