The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 26, 2018, 03:36 PM   #1
mellow_c

please help. filler screws for holes in s&w model 41

I might have a chance to buy a nice s&w model 41 (.22lr semi auto).

The pistol is in great shape for its age except that it had two large holes drilled in to the top of the barrel so that a scope mount could be installed.

I would prefer to shoot it with iron sights, and the drilled holes really detract from the collectability and the and the asthetics in my opinion.

If i were able to fill the holes with some screws that don't stick out, like what you find on top of most 10-22's and many other rifles and pistols... Then i would feel like the modification would be tolerable in that it still would remain a useful option and less of an eye sore.

I wouldn't know the first place to look for something like that though. Could i find something like that somewhere, or is it something that would have to be made by modifying a longer screw? Id have to figure out what the threads are before anything i suppose.

Whether or not I buy this pistol might depend on if i think this can be achieved without too much trouble so I'm turning to the experts here for opinions.

I'd attach a couple pictures but they are too big of files and im not real good with figuring out that sort of stuff.

Thanks!
Old June 26, 2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Most gun screws like that have finer threads than standard and are sometimes the less common #5 wire diameter. You see 4-48 and 5-40 or 5-44 and 6-40 instead of the common 4-40 and 6-32.

About the only way I know to check is to try running screws of these different sizes into the holes. Most thread gauges won't fit inside and are, instead, meant to measure male threads on screws. If you can't get the male screws to gauge, any gunsmith is likely to have some screws to try and may have a kit of plug screws like the one Brownell's sells.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 26, 2018, 04:17 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Find screws that fit. File as close to the barrel as possible. Then slowly peen them over. Express Blue or old fashion rust blue (sweat box).
Old June 26, 2018, 05:54 PM   #4
RC20

I don't think you want to be making a Model 41 barrel to peen a screw over.

Brownells should have tiny slot screws for that purpose once you establish the size.
Old June 26, 2018, 06:48 PM   #5
10-96

Get the 41 if it's in a price you can live with. Then, do as Unclenick said, try some screws, find one that fits, take it to a hardware store to find out the exact size and thread pitch. Then take a peek here... https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rews/index.htm

It may be a bit of leg work, but in the end, the proper screw will look a whole lot better.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 26, 2018, 07:26 PM   #6
mellow_c

I think this will work. I edited the pictures by cropping them so they are showing much less but the file size is smaller

Here are pictures of one of the screw holes and one of the screws holding the sight base in place. Just so you all can see what id be working with.

This would be an online purchase though, so no way for me to know anything more about the screws and holes until i would purchase it and actually have it in my possession.
Attached Images
File Type: png wp_ss_20180626_0001 (3).png (90.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: png wp_ss_20180626_0002 (3).png (120.5 KB, 52 views)
Old June 26, 2018, 07:32 PM   #7
10-96

I'm going to go out on a limb, roll the dice, and say they are likely 6-48 threads. Could be wrong, have been before, but that is probably the most common thread for mounting bases.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 26, 2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Yes.
The most common sight or scope base screw is 6-48, next is 8-40.
Not a usual hardware store size but Brownells and maybe Midway has them.
Even better, maybe somebody here saved the plug screws after putting on a scope and would karma you a couple.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

An excellent fix is to buy some Dome Head Positive Stop plug screws from Brownell's.

These are plug screws with a domed head. The head prevents the screw from going in too far, and prevents the screw from backing out.
The rounded head gives a much more "finished" look then an ordinary plug screw and looks like it belongs there.
These are available in blued and stainless.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-prod792.aspx
Old June 27, 2018, 10:25 PM   #10
Powermwt

Not a lot of information to go on... I had Maynard Bueller out of Orinda, CA put a mount and set of rings on my 41 back in the mid 1980s.

I pulled up this on a thread asking what screws he used...

"I had the same problem and could not source a screw. What I can tell you is that the screw thread is a number 3 A.N.C thread and is .099 of an inch thick with a 48 TPI pitch. So get one made or re-tap the thread to a screw you can buy."

Does this screw sound like what you need?
Old June 28, 2018, 05:35 AM   #11
Remington74

Ace hardware stocks a lot of oddball small screws including some 'gunsmith" screws. I have found and bought several there over the years. Might be worth a try if one is in your area.
Old June 28, 2018, 11:46 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

Most gun shops have filler screws in every drawer in the place. And will most likely give 'em to you for the asking.
Old June 28, 2018, 12:56 PM   #13
Old Stony

Pick up a couple 6x48's at a gun shop and likely your problem will be solved. If they go in a little too far, just put a little blue Loctite on them and set at the depth you want. I've made a bunch of those plug screws over the years from regular screws using a thin cut off wheel on a Dremel and a craytex wheel to polish the tops.
Old June 28, 2018, 08:00 PM   #14
MislMan

If the screws don’t pan out (pun intended) maybe try filling with JB Weld and touch up with cold blue.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:12 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

You can't color JB Weld with cold blue.
Old June 29, 2018, 10:53 AM   #16
schotzfyred

Probably a 6-48 if it held a scope. A good hardware store might just have 4 or 6-48 allen "plug" set screws.
Amazon has a 12 Pack Blued Plug Screw 6-48 For Receiver Barrel Scope Sight Base Set

John "Duke" Wayne
Old June 29, 2018, 11:27 PM   #17
mellow_c

Well everyone, thanks for all the advice and recommendations, however, I decided to pass on the pistol. It was a beauty, and might have been a great buy, but i just want feeling it in the end and decided to go a different route. Now that the auction has passed and I'm not worried about advertising the pistol to more potential buyers I'll go ahead and let you all see the gun for yourselves.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/774872626

Like i said... I decided to pass on it. And only one other person ended up bidding on it. So they won it for $895 + shipping and background check. I would think they probably got themselves a decent deal. Any opinions on the pistol one way or the other?
Old June 30, 2018, 03:43 AM   #18
Old Stony

Looks a little overpriced to me....especially with alterations done to it. There has to be others out there somewhere unaltered....and possibly at a better price.
Old July 1, 2018, 03:18 PM   #19
RC20

Pheweee, nice gun. I have on unaltered and its not that nice.

Long term dream is to get a barrel that is drilled for a scope or Dot Site.

I cannot see or shoot pistol iron sites for a hoot and that would be the Cats meow.

They don't make them like that anymore. That is like about 1980

If I was in the market I would have gone $1000 for it. Get a second one in that date range, beat up or? with a good barrel and swap em. Yea I know that is not honest, as long as its in the right date range, a barrel is a barrel.

It is a shame that it was altered as the box and papers are keepers.

But the value in those is the workmanship as opposed to antique collector (at least now)

Price a new one that is not as quality as those old ones and......

New ones go for $1200 or a bit better and they are not as good.

Last edited by RC20; July 1, 2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 1, 2018, 04:54 PM   #20
mellow_c

RC20,

I sure like the older ones... They have beautiful bluing... The newer ones don't look as nice in my opinion (the ones from the 90's on up). The newer ones also appear to have laminate grips instead of regular wood stocks/grips like i see on the older ones, is that correct? Do you think the newer ones are of any lesser quality aside from just not looking as nice? I have extremely limited experience with these pistols so I don't have an opinion beyond what I can see with my eyes.

I'm curious about how all the different years compare. I've also heard that some of them from the 80's can be more problematic than the older or newer ones... ?
Old July 1, 2018, 06:32 PM   #21
RC20

I am really not up to speed on the newer ones. Comments that they are just not the precision of the older models.

The older ones coule be problematical. My brohter had one he sold as it did not work right (if I had only known, dang)

What made them good was they were hand fitted.

What can make thgat a problem is its done by hand.

That gets into a some and some thing. I had never heard of a bad one until he told me about his (sigh).

On the Average I would guess the new ones are decent as they are consistent.

But I don't think they had the quality or accuracy of the old ones.

Kind of a take and an opinion. No issues with mine at all.

Funny story how I got it as the counter guys snatched them when they came in, bought them and then sold them for big bucks. List was $168 as I remember. S&W made the stores sell them no higher than list.

They had a new guy at Pay n Pak (long gone) he put it out before the pro saw it had come in.

Said pro came out from back of the store while I had it in my hot hands and tried to convince me it was not for sale.

Really? Lets see, its on my side here, I have a check written out for it, you can try to take it away from me or you can accept you screwed up and a customer gets it. Make my day. One of the best dirty looks I ever got, didn't help I was laughing.
Old July 2, 2018, 01:04 AM   #22
mellow_c

Good stuff RC20

So are the newer ones NOT hand fitted? And by newer are we talking 1990's and up?
Old July 4, 2018, 08:09 AM   #23
Rob228

Not really related, but the NROTC unit that I instructed at had a pile of S&W 41's that had seen a ton of use but still shot fairly well, except they tended to fail to extract. Not a terribly hard fix, but due to bureaucracy it would have taken about 3 years to get them fixed so the Midshipmen got used to clearing malfunctions.

They also had a bunch of Remington 40X's, also with worn out extractors that could still make one ragged hole at 50'.

What they had in the de-milled "drill rifle" arsenal would make just about anyone cry. About 50 Garands of which I am by no means an expert, AND a pile of old ARs, all serial numbers starting with "XM" with receivers welded shut.
Old July 4, 2018, 01:08 PM   #24
SGW Gunsmith

I have never, in my 47+ years doing gun repair seen #6-48 screws with a tapered, hex-socket head.

Every optics base screw that I've used and seen are either Weaver, or fillister style heads, for hex-socket, torx or slotted driver bits.
From this chair, that screw is most likely a #6-32 thread, and NOT something you would want to invest in.
Old July 5, 2018, 03:02 PM   #25
mellow_c

Thanks for the additional posts.

Always nice to hear about the potential longevity of any firearm. Too bad about those drill rifles!

The more I think about it, the more comfortable I am with my decision not to buy this particular model 41.