The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 5, 2015, 12:00 PM   #26
P71pilot

I definitely don't like fat grips as I am a small guy and have small hands. One of the reasons why I really want a ruger mark 1-3 as they look like they have very narrow grips. I would love a brand new mkIII but can't justify spending 400 plus on a rimfire gun. I found locally a mk1 with a very short barrel for sale and a target model mk2 on armslist, if either is still available I will snatch em up. May try calling local pawnshops and gun shops to see I'd there are any second hand rugers around
Old January 5, 2015, 12:03 PM   #27
Pahoo

Just another Ruger fan !!

Quote:
Ruger MKII with a bull barrel. You can't loose.
I have hunted small game with all three generations of Ruger MK's. There are trade-offs between all three and keep in mind that after the MK-I, it's hard to improve on perfection. My squirrel killer is the Target MK-II, with a 10" bull-barrel and RedDot. I know some may consider it cheating but it's hard for an old part-time squirrel hunter, to compete with a full-time squirrel.

22/45; I don't like synthetics
Smith 22A; Grip is not user friendly for me.
Neos; I have read about frames cracking.
MK-I; Another great choice if you can even find one. Last year, I passed on one that was in great shape for $225.00 and still kicking myself, in the back-side.. ..

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 5, 2015, 12:23 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Been shooting the Ruger Mk I target (adj sights) with the long tapered barrel (not the bull barrel) since about 83. Other than finish wear, the gun is still perfect.

As far as I can see, the only advantage to the later marks is that the bolt locks back after the last shot, which a Mark I does not.

I never considered that enough justification to buy one of the newer pistols.

I also have a Browning Challenger, so I never had any interest in the cheaper Buckmark series guns.

And I have a pair of .22 Lugers.

Look for a used Ruger Mark series, and get one with adjustable sights. You may never need (or use) adjustable sights, but its foolish not to get them if you can, simply because you can't always ensure that the .22 ammo you can get will shoot exactly to the same point of aim, and having the ability to be able to rezero your pistol with just a screwdriver rather than having to do file or mill work is a good thing in my book.
Old January 5, 2015, 02:00 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

The MK II is a very nice gun. I own one and it is my target gun. I don't use it for squirrel hunting, but it would certainly do the trick.
It is absolutely soulless IMO. Not sure why, but maybe even more so than my Glock IMO.
Old January 5, 2015, 02:15 PM   #30
SocialAnarchist

I own a Neos I bought for my wife to shoot. I have had it for about 5 years and not had any problems with it related to the gun itself. The one issue I found is I have to be diligent about keeping it clean or it will stove pipe and fail to eject. I can hardly blame my laziness on the pistol.

I find it fun to shoot and very accurate. My wife picked this gun out and she loves it and also shoots it very well. The other plus is they cost less than many other .22 automatics. In fact I may pick another one up for myself this summer.
Old January 5, 2015, 02:31 PM   #31
Sevens

The Mark I is a fine gun but the small upgrades on the Mark II are GOOD upgrades. You get relief cuts on either side of the bolt handle that certainly do make it easier to manipulate and you not only get the "last shot bolt hold open" but you get to split the manual safety up from a safety/slide lock in to two separate levers, which make the pistol operate more traditionally and further allows you to chamber a round with the safety on, which is not possible on the Mark I as it's manual thumb safety does double duty as a manually operated slide lock.

I would still choose a Mark I over a Mark III, but I wouldn't even think of trying to tell a guy that loves his Mark III that he bought an inferior pistol. (Even though I truly believe that statement 100%)
Old January 5, 2015, 02:51 PM   #32
P71pilot

I have a line on a 22/45 target model 5 1/2 in that I may be able to trade a gun for if not buy it outright. I didnt really want a 22/45 but my carry/ range gun is a 1911 so at least they would have similar grip feel. I also had another guy with a standard mk2 email me back so I should have something maybe today or tomorrow. If my paycheck allows it
Old January 5, 2015, 03:45 PM   #33
Metalboy

1, High standard military trophy

2, Browning challenger.
Old January 5, 2015, 07:03 PM   #34
softmentor

Beretta Neos with 6" barrel (longer barrel gives you a bit more power for hunting and a little longer site radius for accuracy, but the 4" is a nice one too)
MUCH easier to take down and clean
easily as reliable as the Mark I or II
easily as accurate as the Marks
cost less than the marks
and did I mention that it is MUCH easier to take down to clean?

the Marks do, however have a lot of aftermarket stuff if you like to tweak and play with your set up. there are options for the Neos too, just more for the Marks. I just put a red dot on top of my Neos and that's all, I don't fuss with all the other customizations. I actually have 3 (handy with I take the kids out plinking). Love them.
Old January 5, 2015, 07:30 PM   #35
dakota1911

A Ruger MkI was the first pistol I shot when I was 7. I have a soft spot for them. A S&W 41 has been one of the best I have shot. I have a soft spot for those also.
Old January 5, 2015, 08:57 PM   #36
offroadnut

Ruger MK Series are awesome!

I have a Ruger MKIII Target pistol with the bull barrel. It shoots like a dream, and the weight of the barrel really helps with keeping recoil bounce to a minimum (very helpful for firing several shots in quick succession). I have at least 5K rounds through it and have had zero mechanical issues. Occasional failures to fire which is true of any .22 ammo. Not the gun's fault, I always see the indentation on the rim of the case, just some manufacturing issues with the ammo.

My ONLY complaint about the Ruger MK series pistols is that they are a bit difficult to take apart and re-assemble until you memorize the proper steps. Follow the manual closely or have youtube teardown videos handy when first learning to do so. Fortunately these guns are tanks, and they don't have to have a complete teardown for cleaning that often.

FWIW, I've owned and shot many different .22LR pistols, and this one has always been my favorite. Second would be the Browning Buck Mark.
Old January 5, 2015, 09:50 PM   #37
RLWII

No love.

While I enjoy my slab-side, competition target Ruger, I am more accurate with my Colt Target Model. 6" bull barrel and always lots of attention from others at the range. I never see these discussed whenever the .22 pistol questions come up and have always wondered why. Is there something I have missed. I have owned mine for many years and it goes to the range every trip.
Old January 5, 2015, 11:44 PM   #38
Brian48

Ruger MKII
Old January 6, 2015, 01:44 AM   #39
boondocker385

I just did the same thing of looking for a 22....came down to the mark III and the Browning hunter. Hunter felt and pointed better for me so I went with it, but it was more than your budget (and mine).
Old January 6, 2015, 09:41 AM   #40
skoro

Which automatic .22 do you like best?

My Ruger 22/45
Old January 6, 2015, 09:01 PM   #41
OkieCruffler

I have all of those and a couple of others. For hunting I grab my Dan Wesson, for target it's usually a High Standard Trophy, but any on you list would work well as an all around gun. Personally I'd go with my 22/45 but you need to hold each and find what fits you best. My wife loves her Neos, I can't stand it. She hates my 22A and I take it to almost every range trip.
Old January 6, 2015, 09:09 PM   #42
FITASC

Quote:
Ruger MKII with a bull barrel. You can't loose
I can easily agree with this as mine with the 5.5" barrel is really very accurate ( or should I say I shoot it best of all? including my S&W 17). I imagine if it had a good trigger job, it would make me sell the 17-3
Old January 6, 2015, 10:14 PM   #43
lee n. field

Quote:
Ruger Mk3 Hunter
Quote:
Any of the Rugers. It is just about impossible to wear out a Ruger .22 auto
Quote:
Ruger Mk II stainless with a bull barrel
Quote:
For range time my MKII
Quote:
Have a Mark II Target. It's great.
That's about a quarter of the thread, so far. I'm seeing a pattern here.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 6, 2015, 10:54 PM   #44
40CalGuy

i've had all on your list and then some. i currently own two ruger 22/45 lite's. one for me, and one for the wife.
Old April 25, 2015, 05:00 PM   #45
RECTIFIER

It's really hard to beat the SR22..it always works & is very accurate.I'd tell y'all about the tiny groups I get with old Chinese target ammo,but you'd think I was BSin'.

I totally luv this gun.

Old April 25, 2015, 05:31 PM   #46
djont57

S&W M&P 22...
Old April 25, 2015, 05:53 PM   #47
idek

I own a Ruger MkIII and a Browning Buckmark.

The Buckmark came with a 5.5" barrel.

The Ruger is a Hunter model with a 7" (about) barrel.

I feel like I can shoot the Ruger almost as accurately as I can shoot a rifle with open sights. I don't feel as confident with the 5.5" Buckmark. It's not so much a matter of the gun, but rather that the extra 1.5" of sight radius on the hunter seems to make aiming much easier for me, so if I were to pick a gun specifically for small game, I'd go for a long barrel. Otherwise, mounting some type of optical sight eliminates the sighting plane issue.
Old April 25, 2015, 05:56 PM   #48
dirtd0g

Any of the Rugers listed (Mk. I-III) are fine for what you're looking to do with it.

I wouldn't do with the SR22, P22, or Mosquito unless you were really into some type of "tactical" trainer. The Ruger's are just so much more rock solid and accurate.
Old April 25, 2015, 07:57 PM   #49
dusty14u

I only have one other 22 pistol besides my Ruger MkII. the Ruger is the one I would never sell.
Old April 25, 2015, 09:04 PM   #50
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
...it always works ...
the next .22rf that "always works" will be the first .22rf that always works, in history.

"always worked for me"...yep, no problem, I buy that. "always works"? nope.

.22LR ammo ranges from the best made to cheap crap, and 5 decades experience with more than a few different guns taught me that semi auto .22s can be total omnivores, or very picky eaters without apparent cause or identifiable reason. And, its not just this model generally works and that one doesn't, it can be the individual guns, as well. #12345 works great, #12346 jams a lot..etc.

"mine has never jammed!" is a bold statement. If you add the word "yet" at the end, it could be a true statement.

Tags
.22lr , automatic , ruger , semi