The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 27, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Death from Afar

Obscure M14 Question

I can get an ex-Taiwanese M14. Quite original, all the bits.

I was wondering if anyone can talk about the quality, and if US made M14 parts fit, as well as springfiled M1A parts. Thanks.
Old July 29, 2007, 06:52 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Would love to help, but...

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Taiwanese guns. My old copy of Small Arms of the World says "Free China makes a copy of the US M14 rifle called the Type 57 (1968). The rifle varies only in minor details from the US made rifle. The most noticable difference is the shape of the stock immediately behind the reciever. The Chinese made stock has a more pronounced flat surface behind the reciever than the US made rifle.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old July 29, 2007, 08:51 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Taiwan got a lot of the H&R machinery and tooling, and made around a million of what they called the Type 57. If they didn't do any mods, the parts should be interchangeable with the U.S. M14 and M1A.

Jim
Old July 30, 2007, 02:30 AM   #4
MisterPX

I beleive the T-57's will interchange with M14's. THe Gov. gave tehm machinery.
Old July 30, 2007, 09:18 AM   #5
KAD

I seem to remember an issue with the bolts. The quality/hardness of the metal was questionable. Many replace them with USGI. Check out <http://www.m-14forum.com>
Old July 30, 2007, 09:34 AM   #6
edm1

Gas system and barrel are threaded different than US. Some people have problems with the bolts and headspace. Hammers are reported by some to be soft and USGI rear sight is prefered. Reciever is Forged and oprod, and barrel are supposed to be top notch. I have never owned one but have multiple Springfields and have looked into getting a Polly.
Old July 30, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7
DNK

Go to this Link

http://www.warrifles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452

You'll need to sign up for the board but there are several lifetimes of M14 knowledge on that board. Short story - Chinese receivers are the only forged receivers currently in production besides LRB (domestic). That matters to some people. Quality is excellent but, like any part, there are some bad apples. Chinese bolts sucks and other parts, like the barrel, may need to be replaced to ensure compatibility with USGI parts. T57 receivers may also need some basic grinding to headspace a USGI bolt. Buy Fulton's M14 Assembly Guide for the low down on everything. Some of the best book money I ever spent.
Old July 30, 2007, 12:15 PM   #8
barnetmill

Question about bolts. M14 made by norinco and polytech have soft bolts. I do not believe that any guns from Taiwan ever got imported to the US. Perhaps to Canada, but not here. Did the Taiwanese also use soft bolts.

Red China and Taiwan are two separate countries and have difference arsenals. It appears to be true that the red chinese got tooling from the Taiwanese, but that does that mean that a type 57 is the same as a polytech m14?
Old August 4, 2007, 09:18 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like some folks are confusing Taiwan with mainland China. Most of the comments about "Chinese" seem to be applicable to rifles from the latter, not the former. I have never seen a Taiwan-made M14 and I don't believe any have been imported into the U.S.

The "Red Chinese" did not get the tooling from Taiwan; they reverse engineered captured M14's.

Jim