The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 14, 2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Osborn F. Enready

H&R "Forty Niner" model 949 .22LR ????

Hello.

My father owns a H&R "Forty Niner" model 949, stamped Worcester Mass. It is a .22 Long Rifle 9-shot revolver, blued with wood grips.

This gun has always been a nice shooting little gun, and was in fact the first gun I had ever shot.

My question is this.

Since being put away, and taking it back out, it no longer works.

There is no visible rust, and the gun is in good shape and mechanicly clean.

The problem:
When I pull the trigger to cycle the hammer, the hammer cycles to full rear position but will not release without being helped. The hammer is physically released, but it is as if there is no spring tension to force it forward.

It does the same thing when manually cocking the hammer. Full cycle to full back position, but no release with the trigger unless you start the hammers movement forward.

There is no binding, or chafing at all that I can see or feel.

I have taken the grip off, and it appears that the spring in the grip is attached correctly from what I can see, and seems to function normally.

Any suggestions, info or advice?
Old December 14, 2006, 07:44 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you have checked and the problem is not caused by old grease or by the mainspring (hammer spring) taking a set, try reversing the mainspring (hammer spring) guide; it looks like it can go in either way, but if it is in wrong it can cause the condition you mention. To remove it, remove the grips, cock the hammer and insert a pin into the hole in the mainspring guide. Then let the hammer down and you should be able to try putting the spring and guide in the other way. Try the gun before you put the grips back on.

Jim
Old December 15, 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Osborn F. Enready

Thanks Jim.

It seems the plastic piece at the top of the mainspring (that rides the hammer) has broken.

Doing some parts shopping I guess.

Thanks for the help, I am not too familliar with revolvers.
Old December 16, 2006, 07:04 PM   #4
RJay

Try e-gunparts, they did have some.
Old December 16, 2006, 08:29 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I should have thought of that. Call Gun Parts and make sure you get the kind with the metal, not plastic. Either that or buy a couple of the plastic ones, as they break easily and often. I have solved the problem by making the part out of steel, because I was p***ed off after the third broken one on the same gun. I only charged the customer the price of the factory part, but his gun stayed fixed. It wouldn't be cost effective to have a gunsmith do that.

Jim
Old December 21, 2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Osborn F. Enready

Thank you gentlemen, your help has been greatly appreciated.