The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 5, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Ky_Collector

Need to choose between rifles

A local gun shop has a Chinese Norinco SKS with a nice light brown stock. It looks to be in very good shape. They also have a K98 Israeli Mauser that was converted to fire 7.62 ammo. It looks to be in very good shape as well. It still has the original waffenamp stamps (acceptance stamps). The milsurp rifles are being picked up quickly in this area. If you had to make a choice, which would you choose?
Old November 5, 2014, 10:22 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

K98 Israeli Mauser. I prefer to reach out.
SKS for truck gun.
Old November 6, 2014, 12:55 AM   #3
tahunua001

I would probably take the mauser. now that they are C&Rs, the chinese SKS have been slowly coming back and will be coming in by the millions before all is said and done. the isreali mausers on the other hand were not made in large numbers and are not nearly as common. I don't like the cock on close mausers and I kindof detest the ole 308 crowd(I have a half dozen 30 calibers but apparently they are all second fiddle to 308), but if for no other reason than it's an investment for future generations, I'd take the mauser... that and I've yet to add an isreali gun to my milsurp collection.
Old November 6, 2014, 06:55 AM   #4
adrians

I'm partial to 7.62x51 , so K98 for me,,,,
Old November 6, 2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Jimro

If the barrel is good and you want a shooter, Israeli Mauser.

If you want a collector, Israeli Mauser.

If you want cheap ammo, SKS.

Jimro
Old November 6, 2014, 09:45 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

You'll see a dozen SKS rifles in a year, and maybe two K98s.

Condition is everything, but the Mauser is a good investment. The SKS is not.
Old November 7, 2014, 06:38 AM   #7
mag1911

Have the shop check headspace on the Mauser especially if the bolt is mismatched. I bought several 7.62 milsurp type rifles over several years: FR-8, Ishapore, FN Israeli. The only one I kept was the Israeli; mismatched bolt but it passed headspace.
Old November 7, 2014, 11:37 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

For me, its easy, I have no use for a CHi-Com semi auto that doesn't quite match the .30-30's performance. But that's just me...

I've shot them, and can even ring the 300 meter gong, but accuracy isn't impressive (although better than the AKs I've shot).

So, that vs. a .308 Win bolt gun. The mauser has "been to the wars" and survived. Maybe its worn out, maybe not, can't tell from here, but if you are looking for a rifle (not a carbine, and I'm talking in terms of cartridge power here) the Mauser, as long as the action is intact, either is, or can be rebuilt into a better rifle than any SKS.

If you want apples, get apples, don't get a tomato, and expect it to be an apple. (and this works both ways)
Old November 7, 2014, 11:57 AM   #9
emcon5

The K98 in a heartbeat.
Old November 8, 2014, 12:48 AM   #10
Buzzcook

The collectability of the Israeli k-98 is much much higher.
Old November 8, 2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Ky_Collector

I wasn't sure if the fact that it was converted to 7.62 by the Israelis hurt it or made more collectible. I guess maybe the history behind it makes it worthwhile to add to my Mausers. I really didn't know a lot about the Israeli conversions. That would be pretty cool or ironic for it to have a Star of David next to the Nazi waffenamts. I didn't know to check that on the rifle the other day.
Old November 8, 2014, 09:11 PM   #12
tahunua001

as long as it can actually be traced to the isrealis it makes it very collectable. it's the difference between bubba converting a type38 arisaka to shoot 7.62x39mm and the chinese government, the former is likely unsafe to shoot and not worth a C-note, the other is worth several thousand no matter the condition.
Old November 9, 2014, 01:20 AM   #13
emcon5

Quote:
as long as it can actually be traced to the isrealis it makes it very collectable. it's the difference between bubba converting a type38 arisaka to shoot 7.62x39mm and the chinese government, the former is likely unsafe to shoot and not worth a C-note, the other is worth several thousand no matter the condition.
The IDF conversions are pretty obvious. The enormous 7.62 on the receiver ring is a pretty sure sign:

They will generally be in a Kriegsmodel-ish stock, without a take-down disk, but with a cupped butt plate with takedown holes on both sides:

You can't see it in that photo, but the heel of the stock will often have "7.62" burned in (Liberty Tree collectors is selling some IDF K98 stocks here, you can see the 7.62 stock marking). The action probably has a 6 pointed IDF star (mine is only halfway stamped), the barrel will have 7.62 and possibly the date, plus the Hebrew proof mark (the letter "Gimmel"), next to the 7.62 on my rifle:

They are also not worth "several thousand", probably more in the $400 to $600 range, depending on condition.

Here are a few examples that sold recently:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=435240752
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=435392003
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=433826395
Old November 9, 2014, 09:27 AM   #14
Ky_Collector

That is it exactly. It has the "7.62" in listed on the receiver. I did not know to look for the Star of David on it earlier. It actually loos just like the one that you posted. It is in really good condition. I'm going back up there to get it. I will post a pic of it.

Thanks
Old November 19, 2014, 11:49 AM   #15
smarquez

Why limit yourself? Get both, just decide what you want first. Roll the dice and see if the SKS if available when your budget allows.
What is the price on the SKS vs. 98?
I really like my Norinco SKS. It is very reliable reasonably accurate and smoother than I thought it would be. It really feels like a way more expensive gun than it is.
Old November 20, 2014, 09:57 PM   #16
jersurf101

I have held two Israeli Mausers and thought about buying one when I was looking for a .308 bolt gun. I detest Mauser sights and didn't want to bubba the rifle. Depends a lot on what you are looking for. Safe queen, shooter, blaster, collector's piece?