The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 15, 2014, 05:26 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Remginton Rolling Block

For you historians.

Purchased a RRB on the Gunbroker (Haven't received it yet) and have been doing some reading.

Purported to be an original receiver converted with a Douglas .45-70 barrel. Many of the parts appear to be new such as from recent clones. It is sold as a very shootable rifle which I like because that is what I want. .45-70 is perfect because I already load that (BP only) for trapdoors and Sharps.

I am going to buy the book but I have some questions that I would like answered (simply because I am an impatient putz.)

1. What was the length of the carbine barrel on the original?
2. It appears the Egyptian contract included only rifles. Is that correct?
3. Were rifles supplied under the Egyptian contract marked with "EP" on the left side of the receiver?
4. Were any carbines manufactured without the saddle ring?
5. Apart from the saddle ring was the receiver in a carbine different from a receiver in a rifle?
6. What is the weight of the Carbine?
Old February 17, 2014, 05:30 PM   #2
AKexpat

20 years ago I built a facsimile Rolling Block Creedmoor Mid-range rifle in .45-120.

I used a No. 5 Smokeless action that was manufactured in 1902 for the Uruguay Army in 7x57. It had an ejector rather than an extractor. I got most of the parts from Numrich Arms over a 3 year period, including a 30" .45 cal barrel from I forget the source. The wood came from Reinhart Fajen and was very nice, finished with Linspeed oil and many hours of work. As the .45-120 is a 3 1/4" long cartridge, it just barely worked, spatially. A .45-70 should be a piece of cake.

My caution: the older #1 and #1 1/2 black-powder actions may (or may not) be safe with standard 405 gr smokeless powder loads in .45-70. Having said that, I would not put my face next to the breech when firing the first round.

Be safe and best of luck to you.
Old February 17, 2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

AKexpak

The rifle will never get anything but black powder loads. I will avoid Triple 7 FFFg.

Had a conversation with the gentleman who is selling the rifle just today.

He has a second one which started life as a carbine. It is .43 Spanish. The previous owner hacked off the saddle ring rail. He is thinking about what he wants for it. I have just said everything I know about it.

I think I have some answers to some of the questions.

It appears that only rifles and no carbines were sold to Egypt.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:14 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

bought this one several years ago... ( it didn't look original when I bought it ) but I believe was an Egyptian contract rifle originally...

mines now chambered in 32-40 with an 8mm barrel, to get a faster twist rate, & is throated for longer bullets

under construction...

more on the rifle here... if you read the 1st post in the link, you'll see that while mine was an Egyptian contract rifle ( by markings ) mine is not pitted up like a "normal" desert gun... in my research, Egypt defaulted on some payments, & some of those rifles were sent to France... so it's possible either my rifle did not see "typical" service in Egypt, or was sent to France instead ???

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311161

BTW... love the rolling blocks... I also have a Navy Arms replica in 40-65, in more traditional form, with a long range tang sight, that I used to shoot a clean stage at a long range steel buffalo shoot a couple years ago

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 20, 2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

MWM

While I like a more traditional approach, the rifle in the photo is a pretty thing.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

this is my Navy Arms rifle...